Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malice Rancor

The Harries Flashlight Technique

http://www.thegunzone.com/people/michael.html

The "Harries Flashlight Technique" is the model used by many law enforcement and military circles after Michael introduced the technique to a key individual on the LAPD SWAT Team. As a result, the SWAT member and his partner scored the first successful use of the Harries Flashlight Technique in a hostage situation that saved two nurses. He continued to research and develop techniques for use in low-light shooting with both pistol and long arms.

But in the future, mankind realizes that his flashlight technique is futile and forbid the archaic 20th century practice.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I ran across it and the first thing that popped into my mind was DooM 3.

There is also the The Roger-Surefire and The Chapman technique.

http://www.allaboutguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3112

I think that in the year 2145, someone should have duct tape or something like it, just attach the flashlight to the top of you shotgun.

The game would've been too easy then though, none of the times when your caught with your flashlight out.

blarg said:

I think that in the year 2145, someone should have duct tape or something like it, just attach the flashlight to the top of you shotgun.

What if duct tape were archaic by then? There could be some all-purpose electron-based adhesive that you shot from a little laser-glue-gun that aligned the polarity of the objects you wanted to stick together in an unintrusive but unbreakable fashion (unless you pressed the switch that enabled you to fire the reverse polarity laser that freed the objects).

Yeah right. Duct tape should be around. It doesn't go out of style.

In alot of cases where it's really dark and you're caught with a flashlight out, it's mostly up against wimpy melee zombies. Don't underestimate the melee damage of the flashlight.

You know, I never was caught with my flashlight out... Because it was rarely dark enough that I couldn't locate an enemy without it... Powerful enemies always exit the shadows, zombies, well, illuminate with flashlight, put reticle on their very slowly moving head, switch to pistol, fire twice.

I rarely felt like I NEEDED the flashlight, but yeah... some form of adhesive... and some guns have clips for lights...

I don't know what is everyone's hysteria with darkness. If a Doom wad or Doom 3 is too dark, switch up your brightness and move on and stop complaining.

It's a game. Get over yourselves already. How long are people going to keep crying about this anyway?

Personally I just do what Printz said and turn up the brightness a notch or two, not that I ever had to anyway.

Matt said:

How long are people going to keep crying about this anyway?

Whether if it's true or not, I just made myself believe people just like to say it to piss off Doom (3) fans.

The darkness thing always pissed me off with Doom 64, had to turn the brightness all the way up cause it was impossible to navigate some of the levels. I tried on multiple Tv's as well with different light contrasts, the game was just unecessarily dark in many parts.

If I see duct tape in that day and age AND on Mars, I'd call all the scientists, and announce one of the most important discoveries in the history of man - the discovery of "flashlight-to-gun-attacher-and-not-only-that-you-can-use-it-on-other-stuff-too" roll of adhesive.

I miss the good ol' days when you can just whip out your rocket launcher and fire one to light up your path for a few seconds, only to find out that there's a wall a meter across and I suddenly turn to gibs. Ahh...

All I did for Doom 3 was put the flashlight on wheel up on my mouse and wheel down was last selected weapon (or whatever it's called)...... no need for duct tape. heh [edit] or it's already set up that way... hard to remember.

blarg said:

The game would've been too easy then though, none of the times when your caught with your flashlight out.

They could have just given it limited battery life and a very slow recharge.