Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Christoph

How to add new textures??

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but I've tried looking it up all over the place (db faq, google, forum search, etc) and couldn't find the answer that I need. At the risk of sounding like a noob, my question is this:

How do I add new textures to my wad (using DB)?

I already added the new texture wad to my own wad, and in DB the new textures show up and I can use them. However when I actually save and run my level (using zdoom, not the test-run feature) it replaces the new textures with some crappy generic filler texture instead. I think the problem has something to do with permanently adding the new textures into my own wad (or pwad??) so they will always be there, but I've never done that before and can't seem to find out how. I've been mapping for years, but I've never messed around with new textures much until now, all because of this petty issue. Any advice from the experts?

Use XWE, or wintex. Those work pretty good with adding textures in.. At least, that's what I've heard.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't see that part about only using doombuilder. My bad! Sounds like a cool editor though. May try it out for mapping myself.

ZDoom can't find your textures for some reason. But why I don't know, because I don't know ZDoom's rules on textures so well.

Well I guess the primary question would be: Can I use alternate textures using only DB (I'm just talking about using textures already created by others, not creating my own from scratch) or do I have to use something like Wintex just to add them into my wad?

Or is it really Zdoom's fault and I'm already doing everything right?

I'll use something like Wintex if I have to, but I'd prefer to stick with DB if possible. Has anyone made alternate texture wads using just DB, or does everyone have to use another texture program (such as Wintex, Deepsea, etc) as well?

My textures are from the main Doom2 Iwad and the additional ones are from the community chest2.wad (or might as well be from any other wad).

I would like to know if it's necessary to use something besides DB to incorporate these other textures, since zdoom and legacy don't seem to recognize them. Only in DB's "test mode" does it include the actual textures from the other wad, but not by running a normal zdoom/legacy game (even though every other aspect of my map is there).

If you added the chest2.wad as additional resource in Doom Builder, make sure you use the "%A" parameter for testing (Tools->Configuration, Testing tab) %A will be automatically replaced by DB for the "additional resource" wad file you are using. As an example, here is the testing parameters I use for (G)ZDoom:

-opengl -iwad %D -file "%A" "%F" +map %L -skill 3

Notice the -file "%A" "%F"
which actually means
-file "the additional resource wad" "this current wad file"
and becomes something like
-file "c:\doom\wads\chest2.wad" "c:\doom\wads\mylevel.wad"

However, you still might want to add the textures to your own wad file so that not everyone needs chest2.wad in order to play yours. In that case you need tools such as XWE to add textures to your wad (question regarding this go in the Editing forum).

I think I got it figured out.. While the test mode was always fine to begin with, this time I simply added the cchest2.wad to my wad's .bat file to run it (externally, not with test mode), and the textures finally loaded up. However I don't intend to keep doing it that way so I guess I'll start learning xwe (should be simple enough I hope) so I can put the textures directly into my own wad so I won't have to bother with loading whole other wads. Thanks for the pointers!

Okay, the quick words here are: "You Cannot add custom textures to a PWAD With Doom Builder."

When you first start out a map and tell it the location of another wad with the added textures in, you're only pointing it to another location in which it reads the Textures.

However, to physically add textures to your map you need to use an alternate progrm, I'd personally take the route of using XWE, But i have had oit butcher my map a few times in the past, when i wasn't 'in the know' of what I'm doing.

Good Luck with whatever you make in the future.

[Edit] I forgot to mention, you should always include a text file noting where you obtained the textures used, to save some random ass complaining. ;)

Gotcha. That is why I downloaded XWE and plan to start using that soon. On a side note, I did just upload a wad I've been sitting on for a while, but it has all regular doom2 textures. But I will be sure to cite any sources of other textures I use in the future.

Heres how to add textures with XWE in 4 Steps:

Step 1: Click on Entry --> Load (Raw Data)

Step 2: Locate the image you want to add as a texture, then click Open.

Step 3: Right mouse click on your new image, and then click on both Add to patch names, and add to textures. This should add two more "Lumps" to the wad, Called 'PNAMES' And 'TEXTURE.'

Step 4: Close XWE, Load up domm Builder, and enjoy the novelty of custom textures.

Hope I helped. :)