Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyabusa

Stopping Door.

How do I make it so when a door closes it stops at a certain point so its like the door got stuck?

what port? vanilla doom, boom, zdoom...?

if its for zdoom, just use a script like
cieling_raisebyvalue (hieght, speed, etc.)
delay (tics[35 tics per second])
ceiling_lowerbyvalue (hieght, speed, etc)

something like that would work i guess, then you can also use cool sound effects like sparks just add a delay(1) and thing_activate at the end of the script, or something. i hope i made sense.

If it's for vanilla, what you do is make a dummy sector nearby (a sector in the void with the same front sidedef sector references as the door) and attach to it another dummy sector with a ceiling as high as you want the door to stop at. As long as the low dummy ceiling is lower than the ceiling of the room next to the door in the 'real' part of the map, this will trick the engine into thinking that the door can only open as high as the dummy sector with the low ceiling, even though in the main part of the map you can't see it.

Stupid bunny to answer your question I dunno anything about scripting for Doom, cause I just started making maps so I been using Doom Builder. If there is a guide or something on a website thatd be useful because Ive been able to pick up scripting for other things like HTML and CSS very quickly.

If you go to the ZDoom wiki there's a lot of stuff about scripting. You will need to save your wad file in a different format for it to work.

Although, now that I think about it, the dummy sector thing above is probably the simplest way of going about doing this. :)

deldelda said:

If it's for vanilla, what you do is make a dummy sector nearby (a sector in the void with the same front sidedef sector references as the door) and attach to it another dummy sector with a ceiling as high as you want the door to stop at. As long as the low dummy ceiling is lower than the ceiling of the room next to the door in the 'real' part of the map, this will trick the engine into thinking that the door can only open as high as the dummy sector with the low ceiling, even though in the main part of the map you can't see it.

But that's not what he wanted.

As I understand, he wants the door to open fully (as normal) but get stuck on the way down and stop halfway. That cannot be done with a normal door type in Vanilla since the engine remembers the height where the door started. It might be possible with two separate line triggers, but it would take an awful lot of messing around to do it.

Does the door need to be passable before or after?

You can pull this off with vanilla tricks. Put a sector inside the door with no textures around it and set it so that it has a ceiling height much higher than the door's maximum ceiling height. Then later in your level, you can make it so the door cannot open all the way by lowering the ceiling of the sector within the door. How you do that with vanilla doom is beyond me, probably with use of dummy sectors, but I'd imagine it could work if messed with long enough.

Doing the reverse would be quite easy given the linedef types available. Make the sector within the door's sector at a certain height, and later in the map make it rise so it's higher than the door's maximum ceiling height.

It's all about moving the ceiling of the inner sector.

Whichever you decide to do, make sure there is no possibility of the door moving while the inner sector is being lowered or raised, or it might mess up the actual door. This effect is especially useless in multiplayer, so I wouldn't recommend using it there.

I'm sure there are old vanilla wads where doors only open up to waist height until you have done something, and then open all the way

If it hasn't already been said, (this thread is tl;dr) You can lower the ceiling height adjacent to the door opposite side of where the player is opening it from, that way the door opens up to the height of that ceiling.

sorry i aint been around, ive been busy but Ajapted figured out what I am trying to get to happen. Now how can I get the line triggers to work like you said?