Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Doom Turns 14!

Happy Birthday Doom! :)

I wish I wasn't feeling so sick right now because there are a few maps that I can't believe I missed out on like that Songs of the Damned one.

myk said:

Heh, I think could say I remember (or am more or less familiar with) all of them. Although to be honest I'm not a fan of tool-assisted recording :p

The "who's really a woman?" question was also amusing.

I chose Grazza. He seems to display some rather feminine traits.

happy birfday doom! great caco-awards article. all very deserving, especially glassyman getting worst wad. I only plated one of his wads and never touched another. can we expect some "scathing" retort from him in the future?

VileSlay said:

can we expect some "scathing" retort from him in the future?

HURRR GAMARRA'S SOUL EPISODE WHATEVER: SCUBA STEEV GETS DED

david_a said:

I was actually a bit confused about who was writing this. Could somebody note who wrote the text for each award?

Was it Scuba or deathz0r that said they wouldn't be doing this again?

What I wrote:

Genesis of Descent
The Dying End
Epic
The Outer Darkness
Best DM WAD
Mockaward
Mapper of the Year

Kaiser said:

Yeah, its depressing..

Same.

EarthQuake said:

How the hell have I been here four years longer than you and only remember 4?

I also got only 4, and even then one of them occured when I wasn't even here for a year. I just heard about it afterwards. (The Lüt is dead thing. And the prower got fired thing I only recall because I knew he got fired. I don't recall anything surrunding it.)
And the Ralphis hacking DW gag was something I heard about afterwards aswell. Atleast I recall some of the details there. :p

The only thing I truly recall from that list, and actually were around to witness as it happened were the Taylor business.

deathz0r said:

Mapper of the Year

I knew that when I actually read that part that it must have been you writing this. Concerning the mapper of the year, it's no big thing for me not having won this but the winner for this year just doesn't feel like a "Mapper of the Year" for me considering the quality of his releases (the only good thing is the Doom2 remake wad) and - agree or not - there are a large number of other mappers and releases that would have made more sense to be the winner of this category. Right now it just seems to me that deathz0r needed someone only to make sure that Scuba's decision about me doesn't make it to the final article. Nevermind :P

Tormentor667 said:

:P

Would be nice if you have something good to say without including your usual whining and moanings.

Kaiser said:

Would be nice if you have something good to say without including your usual whining and moanings.

No need to, the Cacoward already said everything what has been good :) The winners are deserved winners (and yes, I actually mean the other ones, not me :P) and the article is written very well, just as usual :)

It's just the only complaint I had.

leileilol said:

HINT HINT: He said mapper of the year, not small tiny sector crammer of the year

And if you do, make sure to know as well: For me, I didn't mean "me"

Tormentor667 said:

words

Aw come on buddy I still love you! I was just having some fun, let's make up and dance!

Besides I was dead serious, Scuba really did change his mind after I shown him Eternal's stuff, it wasn't "whoever wrote what half of the article got to chose who won those awards", we both decided on it.

Tormentor667 said:

Right now it just seems to me that deathz0r needed someone only to make sure that Scuba's decision about me doesn't make it to the final article. Nevermind :P

Well I agree with that because I had the same reading. But maybe someone is provoking.
I think jealousy quantifies obsession rather well and I sure like the output of it.

ps: So this is the result of this

"Early this year, Cyb disappeared and got a real life and met a real girl"

?

Tormentor667 said:

I knew that when I actually read that part that it must have been you writing this. Concerning the mapper of the year, it's no big thing for me not having won this but the winner for this year just doesn't feel like a "Mapper of the Year" for me considering the quality of his releases (the only good thing is the Doom2 remake wad) and - agree or not - there are a large number of other mappers and releases that would have made more sense to be the winner of this category. Right now it just seems to me that deathz0r needed someone only to make sure that Scuba's decision about me doesn't make it to the final article. Nevermind :P

I'm kind of inclined to agree with this. Eternal's stuff is good, though a lot of it feels very squarish to me. Lots of 90-degree angles everywhere. He did, however, release a lot of maps and a lot of people seem to love them.

Coldfusio said:

jealousy

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks for the award. Speeking about the future, I think, it is nice to see that we still will be 'occupied' by wads simply for fun. Newcomers like Deadall and 'oldgoers' like Torm, DD and much much more are those who keep us entertained and thrilled in an obsessive way. For me, this is doom.

That jokewad of the year wasn't funny at all. Mock2 is funny, Doomworld Forum Adventures is funny, IOGW's comedic timing and delivery was flat at best. Finding a suitcase? Some orangey lava level? Is that any way to be funny? The author of IOGW couldn't find funny if it was lodged three feet up his asshole and coming out of his mouth.

I'll give IOGW credit for having *some* gameplay value, but that still doesn't make the wad funny. Giving a Mockaward when none deserved is just plain silly imo.

Well seen as I'm a sucker for anything with any DECORATE or labelled with "GZDoom required", I had alot more fun playing Tormentor's works than Eternals. It used to be ZDoom only WADs, and now the thirst has driven me to be even more specific in what I look for.

But then again, I didn't write the list, and I know that I certainly don't count as part of the majority view. Not that I think Eternal's maps are poor or anything, and I highly encourage him to continue his work.

Anyway congratulations to everybody who was even mentioned in this year's Cacowards. As Scuba pointed out in 2006 (in regards to the runner-ups), even mentioning that Tormentor was about to get the mapper of the year garners him that sort of attention anyway.

yomoneyboat, I've been here for as long as you have AND I used to look at Helled threads extensively, and I think I got 1, if that on the test :P

Doom Marine said:

Giving a Mockaward when none deserved is just plain silly imo.

There's not a whole lot of jokewads released this year. That kinda narrows everything down..

Changing topics, I found Eternal's work very enjoyable, fun and at times very nostalgic.

I like both Tormentor667 and Eternal releases, but if I were about to give an mapper of the year award, I'll rather choose someone relatively unknown in the community who has produced lots of good stuff lately than a well known mapper that has no longer anything to prove.