Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

Map 02 glide and Map 08 linedef jump

After much work I have created the beginnings of yet another built doom run as the potential savings of cack_handed's map 02 trick were too big to resist. The map 08 trick was suggested by Sylvain Chabert and involves getting the red key without triggering the linedef which lowers the floor at the entrance to the room. This is a very difficult and very cool trick, which saves 4 seconds from this level.

The replay of both these tricks can be found here.

I will probably continue this run on so I'm asking if anybody can think up any other cool and insane tricks that might save a few more seconds in the later levels.

Awesome!! I definitely look forward to the new run!!

Hopefully I can finish my popcorn before it's over this time! ;)

Very impressive, and the map 8 trick is indeed very difficult, since it involves passing the linedef *twice* without triggering it.

RamboBones said:

I will probably continue this run on so I'm asking if anybody can think up any other cool and insane tricks that might save a few more seconds in the later levels.

This isn't a cool or insane trick, but shoot for 9 seconds in Suburbs. I notice you got clipped on that one Imp, and if you didn't, I'm pretty sure you could've gotten 9 seconds.

Maybe more research should be done on level 3. Perhaps you can make it with a wimp boost or you can have the wimp stand in the right spot if you come from the other side.

xit-vono said:

Maybe more research should be done on level 3. Perhaps you can make it with a wimp boost or you can have the wimp stand in the right spot if you come from the other side.

Problem with the level 3 jump is that pretty much unless you can do it solo the traditional route is faster because of the ammount of time it takes a monster to walk over to the lift. I tried getting a zombieman in position and strafe running into him, I thought about getting an imp but there's none around that won't take far too long to get. If you can give some clear details on which monsters, positioning and times, then maybe we can work something out, but currently I still don't see it as possible

ultdoomer said:

This isn't a cool or insane trick, but shoot for 9 seconds in Suburbs. I notice you got clipped on that one Imp, and if you didn't, I pretty sure you could've gotten 9 seconds.

Originally I had so much trouble simply making the glide work *period* that I ended up using the exit I did simply because I was able to get through. Now that I've had alot more practice doing glides (especially the map 2 one) I'm pretty sure I can get through it no worries and get 9 seconds

How close to possible is the jump to being possible in nomonsters? If it's very close you may be able to get a monster to give you the added boost by shooting you in the air.

How about trying to lure cacodemon in the central room of map17 to use him to jump over the yellow "fence". You simply climb the stairs near the blue door, wait for a cacodemon, then start running and shoot a rocket in his big face to gain a boost :) Dunno if it is possible to gain enough speed to jump over it, but you should give it a try.
Same trick is worth trying in map29. (make it to the last stairs fast)

ugh, I'm computer illiterate. Dropping the file in prboom just goes to level 1 in vanilla doom 2 and is obviuosly completely out of sync for me.

[i]Opulent said:

Thanks for the info. I downloaded prboom plus and dropped the file in; same result as prboom(non plus). So I did start/run:
C:\prboom-plus-2.4.8.1-win32.all-in-one\glboom-plus -iwad doom2.wad -playdemo tricks.lmp

same thing again. Maybe because I'm supposed to tell it to go to level 2 or something but it starts on level 1. That 29 minute lmp or whatever speed run of all doom2 levels in nightmare syncs a lot better, but on level 2 it goes only a tad of sync, killing the player. All well, you can't be bothered to tell some moron how to do this stuff every 5 minutes :)

Hmm, my doom2 wad (that I have multiple copies of in multiple folders since practically every doom accessory requires it in the same folder) is 14271 kb. Can I just download the full 1.9 somewhere, or I guess I have to deal with figuring out how to upgrade. You have to be a hacker to get this stuff to work, or at least it helps not to be retarded in my case.

In order to identify your version by the file size, you need to look at the exact number of bytes, not the number of kbytes. The number will be 8 digits (14 million and something).

gggmork said:

Can I just download the full 1.9 somewhere

NO. Asking things like this will get you banned from here.

gggmork said:

, or I guess I have to deal with figuring out how to upgrade.

Yes, you will need to use the upgrade patches. In case your iwad has been corrupted in some way at some point, I would suggest reinstalling from your original disk(s) before applying the patches.

Grazza said:

NO. Asking things like this will get you banned from here.
Yes, you will need to use the upgrade patches. In case your iwad has been corrupted in some way at some point, I would suggest reinstalling from your original disk(s) before applying the patches.

Great, it works now and is an awesome demo (I did indeed need v1.9 and wasn't suggesting piracy; I have legitimate copies of most of ID's older games and just didn't quite know how to get v1.9 but that upgrade worked.)

That was some extreme stuff Rambo! I am impressed :)

Just something that bugs me, why going to map32? Makes no sense to me, since normal exiting map31 already gets you to map16. Not only that, but could skip the 2-3 seconds from the "Congratulations" message, as well as the "Grosse completed" message.

I know you had 2% life when you were at map31's end, but luck can be manipulated on that.

Good luck and congratulations again on this amazing TAS :)

Not sure how many times I've had to talk about the whole going to map32 thing but here we go again. My original replay was intended to improve on andrey's run, and as he went to every single level, I decided to do the same. For this run that uses these two tricks shown I will not be going to map32, the health is not required there as it can be gotten on map17 and map16 requires no health. Whilst I probably won't post up any more replays till it's done I currently am doing map15 and am 23 seconds faster than my 14:02 replay. Hopefully it will be done for christmas, but no guarentees.

Hmmm, it may be too late, but I'd love to see a run which goes through map15 using the normal exit. It may be a little slower, but there are very few TAS demos that show this route.

Well I was unable to get it done by christmas (obviously) and I haven't since been able to get motivated to work on it again. So timeframe is as yet unkown

Dang, it's a shame this never got finished, apparently.

I love these built runs. My favourite part is the fact that it doesn't matter which way the Doomguy is facing when he fires a gun. The nearest enemy always dies regardless.

This run will get done one of these days, of that I promise :). However the tool I use to build demos is having a major fight with vista and uni is busy as hell at the moment anyway. But don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this run.