Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fraggle

Chocolate Doom v1.0.0 released

Chocolate Doom has become a truly awesome source port by now. It's pretty damn close to being almost exactly like vanilla and it is definitely a great port for people who enjoy Doom the old school way. A big thank you to fraggle for his amazing work!

Coolness! And it's great to see that juicy changelog, as it shows all the fine-tuning and fixing that has been involved.

Congrats from me too, a lot of work obviously went into this release.

Some things I'll be taking a close look at are: registry checks for iwads, joystick support, and the low-level net code. Though te "fix" that breaks Batman doom is just... O_o

Ajapted said:
Though te "fix" that breaks Batman doom is just... O_o

It sounds funny but otherwise people using Chocolate Doom to make DeHackEd patches supposedly compatible with Doom could fail. The patch mentioned in the changelog is here.

Thank you so much for all the hard work in making this port. (Sounds like this is mainly to Fraggle, but also to everyone else who helped.) This is truly a great thing for the community to have.

ep1-0500.lmp still desynchs at e1m4 on amd64 :(

I forgive you, Chocolate Doom, you're still my favorite.

YES

Chocolatedoom was the first thing I remember compiling. ever. I love how fraggle took the linux sources and made doom feel like the DOS version. something about that just smells of awesome.

also, fraaaagle how's that OPL emulation stuff going

I probably should have worked harder to make this make a bit more sense, and easier to sing... but whatever. I am happy with it.

Chocolate Doom!
Some survive and others die.
Chocolate Doom!
A baby born will die before the sin

Chocolate Doom!
The politicians say it musn't be here again
Chocolate Doom!
The parents wonder where you went wrong

Chocolate Doom!
Build a WAD and say the world is 3D
Chocolate Doom!
Zoom the camera out and see the Imp

Chocolate Doom!
Destined to be living forever
Chocolate Doom!
Only in the past is what they say

Chocolate Doom!
Raised your neighborhood insurance rates
Chocolate Doom!
Makes us afraid livin' in the states

Chocolate Doom!
Made me cross the street the other day
Chocolate Doom!
Made you turn your head the other way

(Chorus)
Chocolate Doom!
History quickly crashing through your veins
Chocolate Doom!
Using you to fall back down again
[Repeat]

Chocolate Doom!
Seldom mentioned on the radio
Chocolate Doom!
Its the game your leaders call the end

Chocolate Doom!
Worse than swearing worse than calling names
Chocolate Doom!
Say it publicly and you're insane

Chocolate Doom!
No one wants to hear about it now
Chocolate Doom!
They wish real hard it goes away somehow

Chocolate Doom!
Makes the best of friends begin to fight
Chocolate Doom!
But did they know each other in real life?

Chocolate Doom!
Every monster fragged away
Chocolate Doom!
Stays around as players celebrate

Chocolate Doom!
The same crime has a higher price to pay
Chocolate Doom!
The judge and jury swear it's not the way

(Chorus)

Chocolate Doom!
Dirty secrets of economy
Chocolate Doom!
Turns that body into goo

Chocolate Doom!
Jack Thompson blames the game
Chocolate Doom!
But test scores are how much the parents care

Chocolate Doom!
'Flippin switches in the lab the other night
Chocolate Doom!
Cleans the sewers out beneath the Anti-christ

Chocolate Doom!
'Cross the world and back its all the same
Chocolate Doom!
Angels cry and shake their heads in shame

Chocolate Doom!
Lifts the ark of paradise in sin
Chocolate Doom!
Which part do you think you're 'livin in?

Chocolate Doom!
More than 'marchin more than passing law
Chocolate Doom!
Remake how we got to where we are.

(Chorus)

For *buntu 7.10 (probably Linux Mint Daryna as well, use at your own risk) users, I've built a package; available at http://acmlm.org/mike/chocolate-doom_1.0.0-1_i386.deb

Ubuntu can install packages if you just double-click them in the Nautalis File Manager (does double clicking packages work in Kubuntu or Xubuntu as well? someone using those variations should test it); or you can install it with "sudo dpkg -i chocolate-doom_1.0.0-1_i386.deb" on the command line. To uninstall Chocolate Doom, just use Synaptic (or another GUI package manager) or type "sudo dpkg -r chocolate-doom" on the command line.

Global IWADs should be put in /usr/share/games/doom.

I don't know if it'll handle dependencies or not, if not, install SDL and/or timidity stuff and it should work.

MikeRS said:

(does double clicking packages work in Kubuntu or Xubuntu as well? someone using those variations should test it)

Works fine in Xubuntu

Awesome release... Who knew that the port with some of the coolest features would turn out to be the one that most closely follows the original executables?

lmao, --enable-penis-extension

This is awesome. I really like the way that it's nice and easy to compile under Linux, and that it runs oh so well. I'll have to give Doom a good play-through tonight with it.

If anyone wants a Slackware 12.0 binary package, let me know and I'll whip one up.

DJ_Haruko said:
lmao, --enable-penis-extension

Heh, I missed that one (haven't built it from source yet)... is that there for the Gentoo port? If so, needs more -march and -mcpu :-D

CODOR said:

Heh, I missed that one (haven't built it from source yet)... is that there for the Gentoo port? If so, needs more -march and -mcpu :-D

Doom ports "traditionally" turn on all kinds of optimisations to squeeze out extra speed (just look at the Boom makefile). Nowadays computers are fast enough that it isn't really necessary. Optimisation above -O2 can make debugging harder as it is sometimes impossible to get a meaningful backtrace. I therefore chose ease of debugging over "speed" but added the penis extension option for all the ricers out there.

The only times I can imagine you might actually want to use it are (1) if you're trying to run Chocolate Doom on a 486 / P1 or similar ancient computer or (2) Running at 1600x1200 or similar ridiculous screen resolution and need optimisation to get fast screen scaling.

Da Spadger said:

And I STILL can't lower the music volume.

Yeah, it's a bug in SDL_mixer; the Windows native MIDI code doesn't adjust the volume properly. I'll see if I can put together a patch and fix it.

Linguica said:

I notice that I still can't play with the correct aspect ratio on my widescreen monitor.

Indeed. It is my intention to rejig the whole way that video modes are selected in the near future. Your experiences with Chocolate Doom a couple of months back showed me that the current video mode configuration interface is horribly overcomplicated and broken, and I intend to fix that. The widescreen monitor issue should be fixed as part of that.

fraggle said:

Yeah, it's a bug in SDL_mixer; the Windows native MIDI code doesn't adjust the volume properly. I'll see if I can put together a patch and fix it.

works fine for me. as always.