Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
32in24MaintenanceBot

Detailing Greenwar2: Still going! Go claim some new maps!

status: still alive. just been consumed with a thousand other projects over the last couple of weeks. i'd like to take on a second map here still but won't do so until i have this one a little more in the bag.

also i know Alfred had some troubles using the textures but turns out he just needed a reboot :p
anyways, i'll check in with him and Blackshark and see how they're doing.

Sorry I haven't been active in a while. It's been a little miserable where I live. My Guinea Pig passed away on Tuesday, it's been freezing cold all week, and to make matters worse, we're in the middle of one Hell of a drought.

I should have a demo ready for release later today.
I'm giving the map a snowy castle theme, which is proving to be quite a challenge, considering that there aren't too many snowy textures to work with.

edit: Just read the notice about the snowy levels. Should I just retexture the map or keep going?

esselfortium said:

If you're already working on it, keep going.

Eh, I went ahead and retextured it anyway. I personally think it looks better. A bit more colorful. I didn't overwrite the original snowy one though. I just saved it as a new file.

Here are some screen shots of what I have so far

If you're wondering what that bridge thing in the 6th screenshot is, it's supposed to be an aqueduct type thing. The idea was that the previous inhabitants used it to carry water from the mountains into the town.

Looks pretty good, but you might want to try reducing the texture variety to develop a more consistent theme. You've got 10 million different brick textures in there right now :P

Pretty much repeating just what Tango said. Everything looks fine except for all the brick textures. All those changes in bricks used like that makes it look messy.

Hey everybody.

At Hellbent's request, wiwar1 in map pack 4 has been replaced with a similar map that he likes more, wiwar5x.

Also, the resource wad has been updated again to fix a couple of silly mistakes. Hopefully without screwing anything else up in the process.

ehh, im going really slow on this sorry, but its wrestling season and i have to run a lot to cut weight. i had a varsity tournament all day today (which i won) i woke up at 4 in the morning, ran for an hour, went to weigh in, then got to wrestle and i got home at 9:45 at night. long ass day... blah. i think im going to relinquish my spot at dw67bx, but its not set in stone yet.

This project looks awesome, keep up the good job guys, I look forward to seein the final version. : ]

Finished.
I'd like to name the map "Defiled Ruins"
Credits to the Hellcore team for the music (It's the one from Map02)

http://www.speedyshare.com/172813906.html

I stuck to the Aztecish textures, and it really does look better. Hell, even the ugly ass aqueduct looks cool now.

Hey Craigs, that's looking good!

Some suggestions, though, since I'm a rotten no-good nitpicky jerk:

- I haven't looked at it in an editor, but it seemed really bright. Maybe turn down the lighting to around 176 or 192 for the areas with no ceilings, and 160 or lower for the parts under ceilings?

- The aqueduct would look more solid if you replaced the straight |||| pattern with a diagonal X, to both cover up the sky from all angles and to avoid the fake contrast that Doom gives to straight vertical and horizontal lines, and if you replaced the textures inside it (including the inner-facing sides of the outer lines) with one of the mayan midtextures that has less prominent outlines on it. I forget the exact name, but the one that Brinks and I used in our mayan levels look pretty decent. The outlines are a dead giveaway it's flat. :p

- If you're really feeling ambitious, maybe replace some of the metal supports that you used to separate textures with support-less 3D transitions. I'm really bad at describing this, but try to imagine one type of material folding into the back and another one coming out from behind it. I used something like it for most of the texture transitions in Turquoise Hexagon Sun, and it feels much more natural and three-dimensional.

- If you adjusted the x and y alignments of the steps with grass and rocks and stuff on them, it'd look more natural since you wouldn't see the same part of the texture on each step.

- The steps with the waterfall on the side of them would look nicer if you smoothed off the jagged edge of the grass sticking out to the right of the waterfall on each step, with a little curve.

- The flats and stuff in the exit don't really match the surrounding areas.

Thanks Esselfortium, I'll see what I can do to fix those things. As for the exit, I'd like to thank my incredible stupidity for that. I had actually forgotten to detail that part.

Edit: I just tried doing the diagonal X thing on the aqueduct, and to put it simply, it brutally raped and killed Doombuilder :(. I tried to go into 3D mode and it simply closed Doombuilder, no error message or anything.
I ended up doing what Erik Alm did with that bridge in MAP01 of Scythe2.

Craigs said:

Thanks Esselfortium, I'll see what I can do to fix those things. As for the exit, I'd like to thank my incredible stupidity for that. I had actually forgotten to detail that part.

Edit: I just tried doing the diagonal X thing on the aqueduct, and to put it simply, it brutally raped and killed Doombuilder :(. I tried to go into 3D mode and it simply closed Doombuilder, no error message or anything.
I ended up doing what Erik Alm did with that bridge in MAP01 of Scythe2.

Hmm, weird. You sure you split the lines correctly? I usually use Slade, which does all the splitting automatically, so I have no idea what the problem is :\

Megalyth said:

Nice I like the before and after shots its cool to see how much work you have put into it your pillars look great possibly the best ones I've ever seen.

I'm bumping this for the benefit of the 32n24 crew

I just hope that 32in24 crew can actually... release something this time. ;)

other than that good work and I might try my hand at a 32in24 soon as I have been fiddling with the doombuilders and I gots a new "gamer" mouse with a grid mouse pad that I "acquired" from my university in the autocad room.

PS: Megalyth, those shots are great. I've never seen columns done that way in doom, and they look fantastic the textures fit very well with them too.

Greco-Roman style architecture is always awesome. May that help some of you out with ideas. :P

EDIT: PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP USING SPEEDYSHARE--- Your work may be DELETED after a certain period of time (maybe even in a week's time!) and no one wants that.

Most of us keep backups of speedyshare stuff.

Anyways, Diet 32in24 pretty much done, we're just waiting for ClonedPickle to put it together.

I'm finally finished. For the name, I'd like to call it "The Desecrated Ruins"

http://www.speedyshare.com/840217484.html

Csonicgo: The rules stated that we need to upload our wads using either a private host or Speedyshare. I don't know about the others, but I don't have a private host, so I'm stuck with speedyshare.

I'm finally done:

http://www.speedyshare.com/278745275.html

Name: Ogrims shrine
Music: I don't have anything special in mind...
Sky: the first one please

Sorry this took me so long, but I spend hours detailing the outside area!
I also hope the little changes in the layout I made do not destroy the gameplay.

Btw, I have only tested this map in Zdoom, so if anyone is having any problems let me know.

Vader said:

I'm finally done:

http://www.speedyshare.com/278745275.html

Name: Ogrims shrine
Music: I don't have anything special in mind...
Sky: the first one please

Sorry this took me so long, but I spend hours detailing the outside area!
I also hope the little changes in the layout I made do not destroy the gameplay.

Btw, I have only tested this map in Zdoom, so if anyone is having any problems let me know.

The point isn't that it will "destroy" the gameplay, it just undermines my original intent. The gameplay will be different--doesn't mean it will be worse--some may think it's better... maybe it will be, but that isn't the point I've been worrying about all along. The point is the map no longer bears any resemblance to the original and to what the original author (me) had in mind-- and with the changes made it doesn't play like the original and essentially is not my map anymore. From a purely communal effort point of view that is fine or good or great even--from an egoist point of view it forces me to constantly reevaluate my role in this project--and realize that it's not my project with some people offering to detail because they are nice, but rather that it's 32in24's project, and I'm the one being nice by offering my layouts to be "detail raped". So that is my issue. I went in with expectations of what I was getting involved with that were totally not congruent with reality. It's like the film "Reality Bites." Winoda Ryder gets all excited when some big corporate thing likes her idea, or project thing she worked hard on, and they tell her they want to work with her and then they totally change what she had made to make it more marketabley viable in their eyes, and it's totally not what she had in mind. That is what has happened here. And like I said, from an objective point of view, from someone who doesn't care about either party involved, and just cares about the end product, that may well be a very good thing, but for me, and what I thought my role in the project was, it basically sucks. Anyway, maybe I shouldn't have such a hard time with it but I do. And it's just Doom, and they're just layouts, so in the scheme of things it's not worth whining about, but nevertheless, it peeves and dissatisfies me. I cannot recognize any of this map. Detailing has extended to peoples' opinions of how the gameplay ought to be as well. Anyway, Vader, I think you are very talented and the map may very well still play excellent in its new iteration, but it will be very different and I no longer feel like it's my map--or that it's my project. Basically I wanted the detailing of Greenwar2 to be my project with the help of another project, or you know, a half way meeting place: a give and take. But it's just not working like that. I guess this is why companies are 51 to 49% shared--and not 50/50. This is definitely team 32in24's project and I am just a friendly benefactor for it. If I want it to be my project I gotta do the detailing myself, no one is going to do it how I want it and keep true to my original layout design or keep me as quality control. 32in24 is quality control. All my job is is to provide layouts and for Essel and Shaikoten to supervise the maps from that point on. They decide if they like the map. If I'm upset about the effects on gampelay that the detailing has, tough luck. They'll try to appease me, but ultimately everyone wants me to just like how everyone else thinks it should be. I thought I was going to have at least half of the say, not the overwhelming minority. Anyway, I learned my lesson, you want something a certain way, you do it yourself, or detach yourself from any expectation of how the the end product will be and accept the lack of say you have in the project. I almost think we should come up with a different name, because this no longer really represents what Greenwar is about, or what I'm about as a mapper. Anyway, I'll have to discuss this with team 32in24 as I obviously can't pull out of the project now, it definitely should be finished, but there needs to be a reevaluating of what this project really is.

Well, I feel better having said that. I just really wish I had equal say and that this was equally as much my project as it is 32in24's.

[edited for grammar and clarity]

so you are saying its not greenwar 2 anymore?

just remember it was just this one map, not every single map.

Butts said:

so you are saying its not greenwar 2 anymore?

just remember it was just this one map, not every single map.

That's true, but I have been fighting with other maps as well. I didn't realize how much of a a very particular and stubborn person I am. I feel I am in a very uncomfortable position. I'm one person being displeased. If I lock horns and try to get things my way, everyone's going to think I'm an asshole (if they don't already) I'll be displeasing a whole bunch of people. I mean, Vader obviously put a LOT of time and work into this map. What are we going to do? Have him totally rework it back to how the original was? I mean, I guess we could keep it as Greenwar2 and have just me be unhappy if it means everyone else is happy. Everyone has put so much work into this project. It's a very frustrating and awkward position to be in.

Hey, if you want more of a say in the maps (whether they should be included, level of detail), just speak up. :)

We've all put a lot of work in this so far, but if you're looking different, I'm sure the team would be willing to... I don't know, start over? If you're looking for something different, we can always try again. :)