Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

[Community Project] Untitled New Years CP.

my theme has changed from space-station into research-facility-on-an-asteroid. there will be a rocky outdoor area as well as 3 different buildings.
that room was quickly textured and detailed just to throw up a screen finally, since my mapping style is to do layout first then texturing then detailing then lighting then item/enemy placement.
layout is 95% finished (1 area to finish-up.)

My map is completed
Map 16: Lich
6458 linedefs
10786 sidedefs
5718 verticies
989 sectors
903 things

I got a good 40 min. of gameplay out of my playtesting. One note is that the difficulty of this level is off-the-wall on UV, which took me numerous attempts to win my own map even with saving every 5 minutes. HMP and ITYTD are a winnable difficlty for the majority howerver.

You may be wondering why I said map 16 when I claimed 13. That wasn't a typo =P. Since Additup was banned and so technically slot 16 is open, I think It would be best to make Lich the last one. I personally hate boss spawner maps and would rather make the final level one that's significantly more difficult than the other maps, like in Scythe. This way the final victory feels very satisfying.

This project is looking really good so far! I would help out but my computer is fucked at the moment. :(
At least I can still play doom, editing on the other hand, well, lets just say if my computer crashes while I'm in the middle of mapping, I will hit it with a ball bat... >:)
Looks like its new pc time, the old one is gonna be a stripped for parts (but I'm keeping my GForce card and ram for the new one! :P)...

how is everyone's progress?
i'm at work, but i am finished with the layout and the texturing and am currently working on detailing all areas.
i should be done with the whole thing in another couple days, although i have been very busy lately...so those couple days could very well stretch until the deadline.

Do you mind if I use SS Guards, Bloodskull? (there's something about a generator creating about 1000 random baddies and goodies (no cybers or spiders or demons or cacos or specters or pains or arachs or mancs or f***ing archies))

My second map is now complete.
Map 01: Reborn
5589 sidedefs
9762 linedefs
4780 vertices
1054 sectors
433 things

Designed as a first level, it gives a good 10-12 minutes of gameplay, although there's quite a bit of action for a "warm-up" map. >=)
It should keep the player moving, but won't be any trouble to complete.
So that's maps 01 and 16 down, just maps 02-15 left to go.
So far, so good.

I can tell everyone, I'm pretty excited about how this project is going.
By the way, we've still got 5 map slots open for anyone who feels up to composing multiple maps. The open slots are:

Map08, Map09, Map 12, Map13, Map15

I could make another map if need be, though 2 maps in 2 weeks has me burned out at the moment. I guess I'll do something productive, like composing an intermission screen or something if no one objects.

Here's our current status. Thought I'd post this in a more recent part of the thread for convenience.

<Untitled Project>
Map01 - Operation Zero: by Death-Destiny
Map02 - <Untitled>: by KingofFlames
Map03 - <Untitled>: by Printz
Map04 - <Untitled>: by Bloodskull
Map05 - <Untitled>: by Stewboy
Map06 - <Untitled>: by Butts
Map07 - <Untitled>: by The Lag
Map08 - <Unclaimed>
Map09 - Square of Destruction: by Hardcore_Gamer
Map10 - Spawning Evil: by Duthch Devil
Map11 - <Untitled>: by Janitor
Map12 - <Unclaimed>
Map13 - <Unclaimed>
Map14 - <Untitled>: by Fisk
Map15 - <Unclaimed>
Map16 - Lich : by Death-Destiny

Last, but not least, does anyone have any ideas for a title for our project yet?
We should make it something to the effect of "Dark Resolution", or something like that with a twist on the New Years theme.

Two weeks left until the projected release date, lets keep up the good work in the second half of our production. =)

Holy shit 5 posts in a row :p my map is still at 75% and with Call of Duty 4 lying next to me on my desk its gonna be hard to keep working on my map :p

i actually decided not to go all stock for my map after all... here is the updated resource pack, i added a few textures and flats that i liked from random wads.
http://www.speedyshare.com/659868834.html

my map is probably like 1/3 done, and i have 10 thousand linedefs. just expect a fairly short challenging and heavily detailed map. i hope it turns out really fun.

hardcore_gamer said:

I will take map09 if i may :)

EDIT: Is it ok for us to use DEF files to choose sky's? I don't think it hurts other Boom ports.

Before this is released I'm gonna get together with all the mappers to see which skies they'd like to be used that would best fit each others levels. I'll put you on Map09 and I'd like to remind everyone that I have extended that deadline to January 14th due to Christmas time and families and the whole nine yards. Also if we cannot get all map slots filled up I'd like to ask for members to work on some maps together in pairs of 2 or 3 to make this an even better experience. With that I'd like to say you guys are making pretty good progress and the screens seem promising, unfortunately I'm just not up to my prime with my map and seem to delete something if I think it's crap.

Bloodskull said:

Before this is released I'm gonna get together with all the mappers to see which skies they'd like to be used that would best fit each others levels. I'll put you on Map09 and I'd like to remind everyone that I have extended that deadline to January 14th due to Christmas time and families and the whole nine yards. Also if we cannot get all map slots filled up I'd like to ask for members to work on some maps together in pairs of 2 or 3 to make this an even better experience. With that I'd like to say you guys are making pretty good progress and the screens seem promising, unfortunately I'm just not up to my prime with my map and seem to delete something if I think it's crap.

Ok.

One question i have: What is the minimum detail we need to put into our levels? Those screens look really nice but many of us can't create anything visually up to par with the insane detail in some of those screens. When creating maps i spend most of my time creating the layout and gameplay structure.

i just spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to perfect the aesthetics of my maps. i really have not very high standards. just keep your theme coherent and make sure everything doesnt look like crap or is one big empty room. levels with good aesthetics and not too much detail are the skulltag maps that come with skulltag. emulate that.

Butts said:

i just spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to perfect the aesthetics of my maps. i really have not very high standards. just keep your theme coherent and make sure everything doesnt look like crap or is one big empty room. levels with good aesthetics and not too much detail are the skulltag maps that come with skulltag. emulate that.

I don't require anything that any mapper in this project couldn't pull off. However I don't want to be seeing a big square map with nothing in it except an exit switch. Just do what you folks can do, and when all maps are submitted We'll all get on IRC and go over everyone's maps to see if we can touch up each other's works to make each map even quality to the others.

I'm sticking to my own mapping style the amount of detail I'm putting in my map is more than enough, I finished this room today apart from this I haven't really made much progress on my map lately.

Just so everyone knows, I decided that I'm not going to submit "Reborn" to this mapset. The more I playtested the map, the more I disliked it. I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with it though, so perhaps the whole concept behind it was flawed...

Instead, I composed a different map called "Operation Zero" to submit:
Map01: Operation Zero
4968 sidedefs
3910 linedefs
2838 vertices
498 sectors
396 things

This map came out far superior to the other and was very entertaining. I got about 10-14 minutes of solid gameplay out of it with only the final trap posing any possible problems for advancement.

I do want to address the concerns about the level of detail required in a map. What makes the aesthetics of a map superb is not the level of detail, but establishing and maintaining a particular mood and atmosphere. This can be done simply by a unique use of textures or placing a simple architectural structure throughout a map, something that defines the map as interesting and unique. Extensive use of detail is only one of the many ways to establish an atmosphere.

Here are the screenies. Couldn't forget those, now could we. =P The last one is a possible intermission screen we could use if nothing too fancy is required:
[Outdated]