Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
scirmast

What's cool in "Old Deathmatch"?

I wonder why everybody plays only "Old DM". Every server in ZDaemon is set to run the "Old DM". I have played Doom allways with DM 2.0 and it's way better than the "Old DM".
Tell me, why do you think the Old is better.

Most folks I have played with prefer the dm1 settings because the weapons stay. Especially when there are more than two in the game, and when there aren't many weapons around, it can be really frustrating to keep respawning with only a pistol and getting fragged by someone holding the SSG, RL and plasma. Yes, there is a style of play in dm2 where you will, by skill and cunning, guard the weapon resources and prevent others from getting them. I've never found that fun. DM1 provides more "fragfest" action.

About Zdaemon, check my servers (rarefiles.tripod.com). I use a combination of dm1 and dm2. Weapons are always there, but I usually let health and ammo respawn like in dm2. Best of both worlds! Mouse look I've always left on, but jump may be disabled depending on the wad and what people ask for.

altdeath gives a more quakish gameplay and is mainly used for map11 duels. Old deatmatch is the prefered setting for map01, d5m1 and other common maps. I think the old dm rules are one of the reasons why doom deathmatch is so superior, it allows the players more freedom. You don't have to run around on specified routes to optimize your powerups/armor/health as you do in quake. Btw, does anyone know if it'spossible to play with these rules in quake(1)?

Btw, does anyone know if it's possible to play with these rules in quake(1)?

I'm really a beginner in QW but I think there are at least four DM modes there so I guess old DM exists too.

There is more than ammo and powerups affected by alt-death and old deathmatch settings. There is the frag-count when you suicide.

There is the frag-count when you suicide

You have been away too long GS, most people in Doom do not call it suicide nowadays, it's called "Don't want to face Fodders_DS" :)

There is the frag-count when you suicide

You have been away too long GS, most people in Doom do not call it suicide nowadays, it's called "Don't want to face Fodders_DS" :)

=]