Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Other Doomer's who went AWAL

With all the Doomer's this year that have died(R.I.P Toke, Rex, Amaster) it has taken us all by shock. Other's have disappeared and come back years later, or lerked around on IRC. One person in particular that we haven't heard from in over 2 years now is Doomboy. He hasn't posted since Nov '05 and I'm unsure if he's been around on IRC or not. I'd like to see if we can figure out what exactly happened to him if anyone has information or was close to him. The last thing we'd want to hear is another Doomer gone dead.

It's hard to tell who actually goes AWOL, as some users are quietly snuffed out by the admins, or they just get their names changed to something gayer than before, but if this is a just thread for listing off missing users, some off the top of my head:

deadnail
Sephiroth
dsm (though I saw him post once, like, months ago)
BlueSonnet
Agnes (apparently, I'm not the only Fan Fics / Fan Pics mod)
Katarhyne (older users know why; still see him post on occasion)

So, is suicide the #1 killer of active Doomers? I wonder how it might be different if suicide wasn't possible in the game. Or if the mean Doomer age was about 30 years higher.

I have mentioned this before, but who the hell is moderating Wads and Mods? Erik? I've never even seen him at all, and although I haven't been here for long, Wads and Mods is one of the more congested areas of the forum.

Then again of course, Amaster is still moderating the Doom 3 section :/

EDIT: Erik's last post was in February...

BoldEnglishman said:
I have mentioned this before, but who the hell is moderating Wads and Mods? Erik?

Keep in mind there are supermods and admins, who can moderate anything, and since the posting traffic nowadays is easy to handle, no additional mods have been necessary.

Erik (Alm) is the author of the Scythe megawads.

Amaster's name was left there simply for sake of remembrance/respect.

Man, there are so many.

Julian, Esco, stphrz, Crendowing (thankfully, though he's probably lurking around somewhere), Redwarrior, elbryan, dashiva, Hyena, Doomboy, sephiroth, dsm, railgunner (?), Erik Alm, etc.

Then there are a bunch who people here probably wonder about but I'm still in contact with.

deadnail (seems to be for once in a happy place in his life)
lament (just returned to IRC from a long absence)
nxn (last I heard was romancing some girl)
SargeBaldy (engaged, still unemployed :P)
Arckra (LJ buddy, going to college)
tobester (randomly appears on IRC from time to time)

Coopersville said:

Katarhyne (older users know why; still see him post on occasion)

I still see him in IRC fairly often. He's always been rather elusive, sometimes vanishing for months at a time.

Danarchy said:

Man, there are so many.

Julian, Esco, stphrz, Crendowing (thankfully, though he's probably lurking around somewhere), Redwarrior, elbryan, dashiva, Hyena, Doomboy, sephiroth, dsm, railgunner (?), Erik Alm, etc.

Elbryan and esco I have seen elsewhere. Rather recently I might add in different forums.

Rex died? didnt he release a wad like a week ago?

and what happened to erik alm? i think he should make a scythe 3 but thats my opinion.

WHERE IS SILVERWYVERN?

[quote]Danarchy said:

nxn (last I heard was romancing some girl)

He never left.

SargeBaldy (engaged, still unemployed :P)

Saw him last week on irc.

Arckra (LJ buddy, going to college)

Still talk to her on yahoo once in a while.

Butts said:

Rex died? didnt he release a wad like a week ago?

Mark twain said:

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Assuming that we are talking about Rex Claussen, it's actually been a pretty busy year for him. He's been working on Return from Oblivion - and posted a number of updates and screenshots about that. He's been working on another project that I don't think he's made hugely public yet, but it will use lots of GZdoom goodness. He wrote a very full review of KDiZD. He completed and released his level set "The Ashes of Fear". He released a joke WAD very recently.

I exchanged PMs with him 4 days ago. Unless something has happened very recently, he's alive and kicking and rumours of his death have been greatly exaggerated. ;)

Danarchy said:

Esco

I thought Esco was banned for excessive ghetto-speak.

railgunner

Doesn't he go by the name Blackfish now or is this a completely different railgunner you're talking about?

yeah i was thinking of rex claussen who was working on return from oblivion and all that.

Haven't you people mentioned Cyberdemon?

I thought Esco was banned for excessive ghetto-speak.

What, people can get banned for acting dumb? Is the losers forum gonna be empty?

Danarchy said:

stphrz

I've seen him fairly recently.

Yeah that's a good point, I haven't seen Cyb here either. There was a Lamneth guy or something posting when I started up here, but by the looks of his registration date, he might of just been here for only a few weeks and took off again.

Dan what are you talking about. I made that cc3 map. (For the folks that haven't been here enough, my alias for the first few months here was Railgunner).

Yeah my activity here hasn't been much lately because of life and addiction to other games like UT3 and Guitar Hero. I'd love to map more but something far bigger needs attention right now. You guys will be the first to know once I get enough drawing and concepts done.

rf` said:

WHERE IS SILVERWYVERN?

She's on my MSN list, though I haven't talked to her in over a year. I can't recall the last time I saw her on. Last time I had talked to her, she had illustrated a book that got published and broke up with Lost Soul.

He never left.

Could have sworn he stopped posting here a long while ago.

printz said:

What, people can get banned for acting dumb? Is the losers forum gonna be empty?

For one thing, this was lonbg before the losers forum was around. For another thing, every single post of his was like "Yall be my peeps up in here, yo. Transformers are ill, dawg. Boricua!" Yeah, that gets pretty old pretty fast. That and I think he was stirring up shit with some other people on here.

BlackFish said:

Dan what are you talking about. I made that cc3 map. (For the folks that haven't been here enough, my alias for the first few months here was Railgunner).

Ah, haven't seen you post in a great long while. Either I wasn't paying attention or you've just been posting in the actual Doom-related forums. :P

People just drift away from gaming communities eventually. It's nothing unusual or worth worrying about. I'm sure that the most typical pattern is that interest slowly wanes, but the individual never really intends to "quit", so no goodbye post is ever made. Thus, people disappear with no explanation.

I write this with personal experience - I was an avid Runescape player for about 5 years, but I ran out of things to do, most of my friends stopped playing, etc. Now, I haven't played in most of a year. If any old friends remember me, they'll never get an explanation of where I went.

I'd understand the whole interest sways away or what not but when you have contact with that person through a messenging service or IRC and they haven't been on in over 2 years you start to wonder what the hell is going on.

I have not seen "Doomer 4 ever" for 2 or 3 years it seems. He wrote a fair number of "New Oldstuff Reviews" I think he was headed into the army around 2004 (Israeli Army?)

I haven't seen "TheUltimateDoomer" Around since around the time of the release of his "Fragport" megawad.

Some people do just sort of drift away. Some do come back from time to time.

Searcher said:

I haven't seen "TheUltimateDoomer" Around since around the time of the release of his "Fragport" megawad.

He was around for cc1 and cc2, remember? Also he released Super Sonic Doom wad shortly after cc2. Now I hear he's into WoW :(