Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BoldEnglishman

Ultimate Torment & Torture question

In trying to do coop with a friend, how can each player choose his own class?

I'm currently using ZDL (mainly because it's the easiest thing to use that I've met so far), but because of this, if I was to start a game with no map selected, it loads Entryway. If I go into the menu and choose a class etc, it starts a new single player game. If I load into one of the maps in the project, each player just gets assigned a random class :S

hmm maybe try the commandline switch +playerclass class ('class' being the name of the class or a index number might work too) but I dunno if its Hexen specific only like the wiki says :/

also in the menu, did you change the player class from the player setup?

Thanks I'll have to give that a try next time we do something with classes. Also, I don't think either of us has set a class for ourselves, so I'm not sure what it's set to.

I've tried to play Torment and Torture 2: Armory of Pain (which, to me, is the best of them all) Co-op with a friend before and it works great...for a while.

Trouble is (IIRC) all players MUST enter the Arena area at the same time. If one enters, the others will be locked out and cannot continue the map. (Maybe they can Co-op Spy the other player[s]?) Also, if any players in the Arena are killed, they cannot return to it and finish it, as a large wall rises to keep the players in (or out, as this case may be).

The thing is that that PWAD was not made with Co-op in mind but totally for S-P. (Now maybe if someone were to mod it for a good Co-op ver. or something, that might be a different story.)

I dunno about the other Torment and Torture games. Maybe you can report your findings about those here?

On a side note: One thing that bothers me about Torment and Torture, Lost Episode: The Fury of Fire is it seems that there's not enough ammo to reach the end. I stay alive and kill monsters...until I run out of ammo, then my game is basically over. :( Too bad, because it's an awesome mod like the other Torment and Torture games. If it just had a little more ammo on the map, it would be no less than perfect.

BoldEnglishman said:

I'm currently using ZDL (mainly because it's the easiest thing to use that I've met so far)

I use ZDLv3 also, but more than that I use Unleashed {home & d/l page}. Works well with GZDoom too. Could use a nice little update though to work with GZDoom better. Give it a try and see if you get some better results.

Ultimate Torment and Torture does have updated versions of the maps, and one of its features on its website is "8 player coop compatibility" so I think you might want to try that for a coop experience.

I'll have to try this Unleashed... thank you! *clickey clickey*

JoelRPG said:

Trouble is (IIRC) all players MUST enter the Arena area at the same time. If one enters, the others will be locked out and cannot continue the map. (Maybe they can Co-op Spy the other player[s]?) Also, if any players in the Arena are killed, they cannot return to it and finish it, as a large wall rises to keep the players in (or out, as this case may be).

Thats because the original TNTs are not concipated for Coop, play UTNT and you will have a fixed and working version :)