Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thekiller901

Mod Idea

Well these ideas have been done before (in Classic Doom), so it's not like they have to be thought up much all over again if at all. (Albeit it would have to be thought up how to do these previously done games in a new way [this new engine].) In other words, the "template" for such games has already been laid out in the original PWAD games (the maps, weapons, monsters, etc.). The new remakes could be taken directly from the old originals (meaning in terms of general design, of course).

I mean look what they did with Classic Doom³ {its download page}--such great work! Ya know, I think I'm gonna give 'em some money after I reach the end of that mod. They did that quality work so that I could play a great game, so I think I'm gonna give 'em some bucks.

(On a side note: The [currently unfinished] Doom Reborn makes an interesting and good alternate, but I, myself, prefer of the two the design that Classic Doom³ utilized.)

Yeah, Classic Doom³ is a great way of remaking an older game in a new engine (I think).

[Edit:] Heh, whoops! Looks like the post I'm replying to got deleted. Oh wow, man LOL

wtf did make replay get deleted or something?

Anyway i hope somebody will remake shitbags "yesterday's nightmare" The best Doom2 level i have ever played.

Yeah, that was weird. I thought maybe you deleted your post, but then I remembered how I don't have permission to delete my own posts. So I dunno what happened there; that was strange. :/

Yeah see, good idea. I'm sure that there's at least one cool Classic Doom PWAD that each person here (for starters) would love to play in the Doom³ engine. You know some of those I'd like to play hehehehe

JoelRPG said:

How about remaking

Why remake and not be original to the end? It's three years and a few months since Doom 3 was released, and equally such time was in 1997 after Doom 2. Maybe Doom 3's development is 10x slower... Anyway, I'm wanting to see a fully whistled Doom 3 megapak. Done by Doom 2 veterans :). With emphasis on balanced Doom 3 gameplay and new stuff seamlessly introduced. With optimal frame rate (no detail excess or lack of Vis that would crawl it to NUTS level). Being long.

Well why not do both then? Who says it's gotta be either/or? Original ideas are great. So how about one--I'm listening....

And never mind for a moment that good remakes might be cool to play, but maybe they would make good "teeth-cutting" game projects for this relatively new engine. The "templates" for such games (which is probably a significant part of the work) is already done.

JoelRPG said:

So how about one--I'm listening....

Not original as in never-before-seen. Original as in no remake of a Doom 1 or 2 work.

By making levels based on a theme well set-up in author's head, with confidence (and no experimental work or model copy). Good things are being made right now (like that "Reca|| to He||"), but very slowly.

printz said:

Not original as in never-before-seen. Original as in no remake of a Doom 1 or 2 work.

Though it would be nice to see some of those.

By making levels based on a theme well set-up in author's head, with confidence (and no experimental work or model copy).

Aww! :( I love experiments!

Otoh, I can see the immense practical value of avoiding a whole lotta experimentation in favor of developing upon what one already knows.

Good things are being made right now (like that "Reca|| to He||"), but very slowly.

Hmm, not done yet. :( Although it DOES look very good. I wanna play it. I just hope it won't be like years or something before we see the finished product.

I still think it should be a good idea for people to put good ideas here (or somewhere, wherever), even if they can't be done at like light-speed and stuff.

Well ya know there's a mod for Doom³ that seems to attempt to experiment with RPG aspects, though not online M-P. It's called DungeonDoom {its homesite}.

I haven't messed with it much yet myself, but I intend to to see what's up with it. You might give it a try meanwhile. I'll report whenever I do, though. Maybe you can do the same.

See, one of the nice things about modding some new game like this is that the modder doesn't seem to be limited to making FPSs only. I bet there's quite a few generes and hybrids of games that could possibly be made in such as Doom³.