Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MRB_Doom

Bye Netscape....

First browser I ever used and liked. I haven't used it since the late nineties but I still feel a little bad. I do hate nostalgic pining.

I've been using Firefox since its early inception, which is a little sad as well because now its mainstream and widespread.

Bank said:

I've been using Firefox since its early inception, which is a little sad as well because now its mainstream and widespread.

would you prefer it be "mainstream" and get actual support, plugins, and big updates, or stay under the radar and have all of 2 sites designed with it in mind?

anyway, opera's where it's at yo

It died now? To me the plug has been pulled since that abysmal version 4.07.

WinAMP is already suffering a similar fate under AOL.

leileilol said:

It died now? To me the plug has been pulled since that abysmal version 4.07.

Second'd

leileilol said:

WinAMP is already suffering a similar fate under AOL.

Partially also because iTunes (and clones) is the latest fad.

If Netscape died because of this, then DOOM died in 1995.

Huh, I haven't heard of it since 2001, I thought it died shortly thereafter. Oh well, I did my celebrating back then, so onto the next item of business.

Imho Netscape Navigator had died long ago, when it started using IE's engine.

Iironically, in the early days of the browser wars, that's exactly what Microsoft was trying to bully Netscape into doing, like "OK, distribute your own browser but make it so that it actually uses IE underneath so that it's not really a threat/alternative".

It already died years ago, the real surprise is that AOL was still releasing a browser under the Netscape name (essentially Mozilla rebranded with a ton of AOL links inserted). It was pointless and I don't think anyone really used it, so closing it down makes sense.

The work they did continues as part of the Mozilla project so there is no big loss here.

Used it once, thought it was identical to IE to be honest. But that was (long) before the horrific IE7, back when computers did what they where told and not what they "thought" you "wanted"

Though why people hate IE i don't understand, i know Microsoft are monopolising bastards but they give IE away for free, so not using it on your most-likely-windows PC isn't going to hurt them much

Maes said:

what

well in any case, here's to a

deathbringer said:

Though why people hate IE i don't understand, i know Microsoft are monopolising bastards but they give IE away for free, so not using it on your most-likely-windows PC isn't going to hurt them much

The hate probably comes with how long it took them to update IE, along with the various security problems, although I think this is more the users fault. Mozilla, FireFox and Opera had been out long before IE7. Plus when they finally released IE7 it sucked, the interface is awkward, non-customizable and it's probably the slowest browser there is.

From the companies point of view, if you're seen as the largest software company in the world, it's probably not good that the first thing people do is use your browser to download a better one.

Edit: Also I didn't know AOL was still around. It's been years since I've seen one of there ads for "broadband"(fastest dail-up) or some other ridiculously priced dial-up service or got a free coaster in the mail.

the IE hate is for its lame security, and ActiveX, the biggest bad idea of a backdoor in internet history.

oh and the hate really fired up with IE4's memory hogging desktop enhancements and monopoly.

Netscape Navigator never DIED, it was just rebranded and lives on in Mozilla as the Mozilla Suite, and Firefox. And, to reference an MIT joke, With the proper plug-ins and addons, Firefox can expand enough to read mail.

Or, you could just get Thunderbird.

also, nice blinktag. that + glow + marquee = everyone's forum signatures in the 90s.

leileilol said:

what

well in any case, here's to a

Damnit. The one thing I do miss about IE is that it didn't allow that tag.

deathbringer said:

Though why people hate IE i don't understand

Probably because you've never had to make a proper website.

Maes said:

Then it never died, because it never did. After the 4.x series it switched to the Gecko engine.