Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VileSlay

AVP:R seen it yet?

I checked it out friday night. it was better than I thought it would be, I liked it better than the first one. it had some good homages to movies in both series, especially Aliens. some pretty good gore, in particular my fave deaths were collateral damage kills. the pred-alien was interesting, but I think could have been pulled off a lil' better. not quite worth the $12 (yeah, thats what they are charging in manhattan now) to see it in a theatre, but I think it has a place in my home video collection.

anybody else see it yet? your thoughts?

No, and I don't intend to.

Not only are the reviews by far the worst for any major movie this year - there are also other indicators that it sucks. The basic plot description sounds like 'slasher movie with monsters'. That's not what I'd like to see in an Alien/Predator movie. This movie is basically promising violence for the sake of violence as far as I see it.

Reviews are just opinions and nothng more. Ill watch most movies that have the worst reviews you can find and it would be a good movie in my opinion. Like some movies with good reviews suck.

I plan on seeing this on my weekend.

I've seen it. It was much; much better then the first one. I liked the fact the Predator didn't find the need to be-friend a human. I also thought the cast was way better then the first as well, one even looking like The Hoff. And it also had much more gore.

Two thing that bothered me were The Predator in this movie is dumb as fuck and you just have to cringe at the over exaggerated ending.

Yeah, I've seen it. I had never seen the first AvP film, so I didn't know quite what to expect, but overall it was pretty good and especially fun. The characters felt way too generic (then again, that seems to be the thing these days), but the action was good and it wasn't too cheesy, except for the ending.

It sucked ass completely. I felt like I was watching I know what you did last summer.......with some Aliens and then a Predator. Let's not forget that the main character in the film totally ruined a classic line from predator by saying "Get to the chopper!" in the most ear cringing way. I've seen alot of bad movies but this has just topped the cake.

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Has there been a movie with "Versus" in the title that didn't suck? Even Kramer vs Kramer was a bit much.

Sometimes a gory slasher flick is ok though, because you're certainly not going for the rich character development. If there was a real story, you might actually feel bad for the folks getting killed.

Bank said:

I don't know why anyone is surprised. Has there been a movie with "Versus" in the title that didn't suck?

Freddy VS Jason was good, i enjoyed that movie allot.

hardcore_gamer said:

Freddy VS Jason was good, i enjoyed that movie allot.

Same here.

Starting to hear good things from the film despite the critics, so I'm deffinetly gonna have to check this out.

Graf Zahl said:

No, and I don't intend to.

Not only are the reviews by far the worst for any major movie this year - there are also other indicators that it sucks. The basic plot description sounds like 'slasher movie with monsters'. That's not what I'd like to see in an Alien/Predator movie. This movie is basically promising violence for the sake of violence as far as I see it.

funny thing is there still is no review for it in the New York Daily News, arguably the biggest NYC paper. but I generally don't listen to reviews of sci-fi or horror movies that are printed the papers.

it really isn't "a slasher movie with monsters". it was more like the original predator movie but set in a small town, with a nice old growth forest, with aliens. it was by far not the perfect movie. most of the characters were one dimensional, but they really weren't the story and I think thats why they focused so little on developing them. the only part where I thought the predator was stupid was when he was going after the alien in the power plant, but they needed some way to blackout the town.

the ending part with the "suprise twist" was dumb, but I had a feeling it was coming. supposedly, if the movie does well enough, the sequel will be going back to outer space. that was supposed to be the set up for it, but it came out lame.

I'm getting dragged to it next time I see som/manc/ari so I don't really have a choice :P

I don't mind though, it can't be as bad as the last one.

Lüt said:
I'm getting dragged to it next time I see som/manc/ari so I don't really have a choice :P

Heh, I saw the first one with two other DOOM players at the cinema.

Technician said:

I've seen it. It was much; much better then the first one. I liked the fact the Predator didn't find the need to be-friend a human.
Two thing that bothered me were The Predator in this movie is dumb as fuck and you just have to cringe at the over exaggerated ending.

Hm... and I thought that was one of the few saving points of the first - reminded me a little of the ending of Predator 2. Predators are able to show some respect to good fighters - so I'm able to respect them.
If they are warped into mindless slayers they are merely monsters - boring. And that more than anything else convinces me that this movie is indeed crap. Predators are supposed to be a highly intelligent species. Butchering such an important aspect only shows the filmmakers' disregard for the previous movies.

VileSlay said:

funny thing is there still is no review for it in the New York Daily News, arguably the biggest NYC paper. but I generally don't listen to reviews of sci-fi or horror movies that are printed the papers.

That's because it wasn't screened for critics (probably because the studio knew it had a turkey...) As for reviews, I know enough people who keep saying 'reviewers are stupid'. Well, they are not. They are just giving their opinion and it's up to you to get the needed information out of their writings. I have seen extremely positive reviews that only told me that I could skip a movie and I've read bad reviews that convinced me even more to watch something. AvP2, however, was the rare case of extremely bad reviews that made it more than clear that this movie is a total waste of money. When I see a rating average of 3.1 on rottentomatoes.com I know something is wrong.

Again it's utterly amazing that a certain audience is willing to stomach everything if there's only enough blood'n gore.

Graf Zahl said:

Again it's utterly amazing that a certain audience is willing to stomach everything if there's only enough blood'n gore.

Maybe some of us want to sit down and watch over-the-top gore as a way to relax.

Sure. But the demand for actual quality in terms of storytelling or acting seems to be nonexistent in this crowd.

I like watching horror movies, too, but I consider most of 'em unwatchable due to utter crappiness. I just can't relax when watching a movie that is constantly trying to insult my brain.

Well, I got an AMC theater gift card for Christmas that I haven't used yet...so if I go see it using that card and it turns out bad, at least I won't have actually spent any money on it ;)

Graf Zahl said:

Sure. But the demand for actual quality in terms of storytelling or acting seems to be nonexistent in this crowd.

A website with a huge fan following of a game that has virtually no plot and waves and waves of mindless killing

Maybe I should re-direct you to sisterhoodofthetravellingpantsworld.com

Ralphis said:
A website with a huge fan following of a game that has virtually no plot and waves and waves of mindless killing

I'd say there's a difference. You'll have to agree playing the game or creating things for it tends to be less retarded and more mentally or sportswise stimulating that an AVP movie or such.

Captain Red said:

Sweet

I stand corrected, and I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

I think this might actually be the worst movie I have ever seen so far.

SPOILERS n' SUCH BELOW:

The movie is full of darkness and shaky-camera action sequences, so you can't see what's going on usually; like, The Predator and Pred-Alien get into a fist fight at the end of the movie, and the Pred-Alien just disappears from right infront of the Predator-- what the hell happened? There's a lot of action scenes where I didn't know what was going on because everything was too dark, or the camera was being too hectic. Also, when the power goes out in the city, I like how the hospital's backup generators were running on like a AA battery, and it was still dark everywhere.

There's so many main characters, and more and more keep getting added throughout the whole movie, all of them generic, so I kept forgetting who's who. They're broken up into over 9000 groups, rotating scenes, like, every five minutes, so on top of forgetting which character is which, it was just as hard to follow what they were all trying to do. Between the lighting, shaky camera action, dozens of generic main characters, and constant scene switching, I had little to no idea what was going on through the majority of the movie, both plot-wise and what was going on on-screen. I thought maybe I was just running on half a brain because I'm so hung over after New Years, but I asked my friends, and none of them knew what was going on most of the time. I can understand turning your brain off and just enjoying the violence, but unless you tone it down to just "heh heh, blood" level, this movie comepletely sucks, and even then, you still can't really make out what's going on.

I wasn't really expecting anything for the plot, but it still blew me away with how dumb it is. Why did the government nuke Raccoon City, when they didn't even understand what was going on? How are there survivors and witnesses, but mankind doesn't know Xenomorphs exist in Aliens? I thought normal bullets don't harm Xenomorphs? Just 'WTF' in general.

VileSlay said:

$12 (yeah, thats what they are charging in manhattan now)

joly shit i thought $9 here was bad for a movie.

I know Xenomorphs are known for having extremely fast growth rate but these fuckers are adult in like five minutes. The alien larva burst runs into a shadow and then the next scene there's a shit load of aliens. At least the first Alien gave him 24 hours to reach adult hood.

BoldEnglishman said:

No normal bullets do hurt Xenomorphs, and it's always been that way as far as I know.

O RLY?

Looks like Vasquez pulled out a 9mm or .45 of some sort...

...and this Xenomorph doesn't seem to be holding up so well...

...but then again with that acidic blood, neither does she.