Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SirTimberWolf

Selling 50$

Nice try, Ralphis.

Also, is it actually in mint condition or just "near mint?" Don't false advertise.

It'll be kinda funny if the winning bid is 50.00.

Isn't it illegal to sell money at anything but face value? Not that it stops a lot of people, or that the government cracks down on that sort of thing, but I think it is.

Danarchy said:

Isn't it illegal to sell money at anything but face value? Not that it stops a lot of people, or that the government cracks down on that sort of thing, but I think it is.

There is probably an exemption for pieces of collectible value.

This item has a reserve value, which may well be $50, if not more.

myk said:

This item has a reserve value, which may well be $50, if not more.

In the description it says "Reserve is the face value of the bill (50$)".

Also, no feedback and no paypal(no protection)? Come on.

Danarchy said:

People sell antique/collectable coins all the time. This isn't really any different, except the piece is newer, because obviously notes are harder to keep in good condition.

I don't really see what the fuss is about, this guy found a mint note and wants to sell it to someone who would appreciate it rather than spending it and forgetting about it.

Obsolete money does then become a 'collectors item' despite still having a "worth", a Farthing (quarter of an old penny, which is 2.4 times less than a current 1p) in Britian is "worth" bugger all, but could be sold for quite a lot if you had a good one

Danarchy said:

Why? Wouldnt that make giving money as a gift illegal then? Since its rewarding money for no value at all? It's not like people have tp buy it.

Well if you follow the letter of the law, it is. But it is rarely enforced. A lot of those old collector's coins were illegal to own, but the government made exceptions for them.

I have no clue if there is a law or not, but regardless, why would the government care? If I sell some idiot a $10 bill for $200, a private transaction is made, in which I essentially have just been given $190 for free. The amount of money in the global pool is the same and no one else is affected.

I'm a criminal!

When I was a kid my brother and I collected coins, usually relatively cheap ones and by year (my brother had some more expensive ones), sometimes going to large coin collectors conventions. I think they're still at my parents' place. I did keep a really worn (thus cheap) Roman coin I got once, though.

We had these cardboard albums where you'd insert each coin by year (and variety if more than one existed in a year) between transparent pieces of plastic (to see both sides). I think I preferred to collect pennies and quarters. The former because it was easy and cheap, the latter because I liked the eagle on the back.

The practice is similar to stamp or comic book collecting.

printz said:

Ain't that version obsolete to be spent?

HEH

Give me all the "obsolete" bills you don't want, Printz.

I just remember hearing of some cases where the secret service went after people who were selling money. But it's not like the government has ever overstepped its bounds or anything!

when i was a kid i used to trade pennies to my little brother (who was 3 at the time and didnt know the value of money) for quarters. I told them they were better because they were red.

some of the pennies i have are green. because copper tarnishes. and since when were pennies red? unless every single penny you have seen in your life had blood/red marker/raspberry stains on it, there is no red penny.

Here's my two cents worth-

Danarchy said:

AFAIK you can sell money for whatever the buyer is willing to pay - it's face value applies when used as legal tender to settle a debt.

printz said:

Ain't that version obsolete to be spent?

US currency doesn't have a "use by" date stamped on it - yet! ;-) Here'sWikipedia again.

If anyone's interested - the high bid currently sits at $50.

Bloodshedder said:

Were you both also color blind?

Yes

*sniff* :'(