Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Iron man

JohnnyRancid said:

100 trillion more superheroes to go.

There's already an Exterminator? Dammit.

Anyways, Iron Man looks pretty cool. At least it looks more interesting than Dare Devil or Ghost Rider.

Not bad, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of Robert Downey Jr. here.

YMB said:

Not bad, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of Robert Downey Jr. here.

OOh, this looks better than I thought! I hadn't realized that they were using Downey for the main character, and it looks like he does a good job as well.

Another movie to add to my "Go See" list

Robert Downey Jr. is a terrific actor -- that is, when he gets a chance to act in between his visits to various rehab centers. The movie looks promising, but a little silly.

Boo for actually playing the Black Sabbath song in the trailer.

Didn't Iron Man create his suit because he was dying of disease, not to escape terrorists?

Beyond being nit-picky, I still think this movie looks kickass.

Coopersville said:

Didn't Iron Man create his suit because he was dying of disease, not to escape terrorists?

I thought it was something like he was captured in Vietnam but he had a bit of shrapnel in his heart so he, and another captive, who was supposed to be making weapons with him, made the suit to let him stay alive and escape?

Hmm, of all the Marvel Heroes, Iron Man has to be my favourite. I'm not quite sure why, but when I was growing up, the only access to Marvel heroes was through TV, and the Iron Man animated show was rarely on, so I guess I liked it for NOT watching it too much.

Coopersville said:

Beyond being nit-picky, I still think this movie looks kickass.

I thought the sabbath was pretty cool.

but yeah, the origin is that he was a weapons contractor in vietnam and he was captured by vietnamese warlord. yes, he caught shrapnel in his heart, which it looks like they do in the movie(the glowing thing on his chest is what keeps his heart beating). the warlord wanted him to build a bomb or something, but he made the iron man suit to escape. I believe they retconned the origin to the '94 gulf war later on, and changed it in the movie to reflect the current iraq war.

::edited for really bad misspelling::

Coopersville said:

Fuck you, how could this movie NOT have that song?

try singing "patty cake patty cake bakers man" to the tune of "iron man"... it fits.

VileSlay said:

I thopught the sabbath was pretty cool.

but yeah, the origin is that he was a weapons contractor in vietnam and he was captured by vietnamese warlord. yes, he caught shrapnel in his heart, which it looks like they do in the movie(the glowing thing on his chest is what keeps his heart beating). the warlord wanted him to build a bomb or something, but he made the iron man suit to escape. I believe they retconned the origin to the '94 gulf war later on, and changed it in the movie to reflect the current iraq war.

As cool as the movie looks and has looked, it'd be cooler if it was still Nam.

Bank said:

As cool as the movie looks and has looked, it'd be cooler if it was still Nam.

yeah, I agree, but they have to keep it current. besides, Iraq is this generation's 'Nam so it still kinda fits.

Remember not everything is going to be completely canon with origional Iron Man, Marvel movies always go off track a little bit.

From what i understand Marvel and DC in general tend to go "off track a bit" constantly restructuring thier storylines and farting about with continuity etc etc

A few days ago, a friend was putting forward a theory to me. He reckoned that Marvel and DC style Super Heroes were a very American type of character. He suggested that the idea of a super hero being a hero and the winner because of special powers was consistent with a country that believes in winning through using the biggest and most powerful weapon and through might.

He contrasted this with British super heroes. If they can be called such. The only ones he could think of were Judge Dredd (who may be set in America, but is British written) and, to a much lesser extent (perhaps not really qualifying at all) James Bond. Both are not really "super" but rather just humans who are damn good at what they do. The closest American superhero that fits into that category would, I guess, be Batman.

Thoughts? Comments?

Whilst I mention it, I have always wondered how Judge Dredd goes down in the US (if at all). The humour in the comics is very British: sarcastic, ironic and quite scathing. I'd be surprised if it was to American tastes. Perhaps that's part of why the Dredd movie was so unlike the Comics?

My own personal feeling on superheros is that, yeah, they are entertaining enough but they kind of cheat. They don't win because they are cunning or skillful, they win because they are super. And to that end, paradoxically, that makes them a bit dull IMO. Of course superman can fly, he's super. Of course he can stand in the path of a train and stop it. I'd expect nothing less. Now, if a non-super character managed to achieve those things, then that would be more impressive to me because they'd have had to do something cunning to do it (or spend a long time in hospital afterwards).

The other gripe I have is that you have to up the anti. There is no point in a super hero going up against normal villains. what would be the point? You've got some guy who can fly, stop time, bounce bullets off his chest... etc etc going up against some scroat with a switchblade and a heroin habit. So, you have to have supervillains to make it worthwhile and the whole thing turns into a "whose super power is best" pissing contest. Don't get me wrong. I quite enjoy it but it's only ever so good.

It's also funny how most of them have a messed up past: dead families, injuries, tortured souls, secret identities... I guess that's the price you have to pay for being able to leap a tall building at a single bound or go invisible and hang around in locker rooms.

You have a bit of a point there. The only other British comics I know of are Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Aside from Dr. Manhattan, none of them have superpowers (though Ozymandias is super-intelligent). We're talking about Alan Moore here though, and he's all about gritty satire of the real world. Never read Judge Dread (or saw the movie), so I can't say anything about that.

On a similar note, I just finished the first season of Heroes. If you haven't seen that, I really recommend it. It's not the typical superhero thing. It's about people who find out they have powers and are trying to cope with them. Most of the powers are fairly weak or specific, something you might find as a secondary ability for Marvel superheroes. Of the two who have heaps of crazy amazing power (both by absorbing other's powers, in their own...special ways), one has trouble controling his powers, and the other is a psychotic serial killer (the main villain of the first season, really). The others who have the more powerful abilities seem to have pretty big problems.

At any rate, it's probably the best TV series to come out in a good long time.

I have always liked Batman the best because of some of the above reasons, but I don't have a big a gripe with superheroes. Because, using Batman as an example, technology and wit (and of course money) can defeat even superhuman enemies, such as clayface or Mr. Freeze. So, by that logic, that same force could defeat a superhero. Although it rarely would, because a superhero comic's moral is usually that good will triumph.

Enjay said:

The only ones he could think of were Judge Dredd (who may be set in America, but is British written) and, to a much lesser extent (perhaps not really qualifying at all) James Bond. Both are not really "super" but rather just humans who are damn good at what they do.

In that list I posted up there is a Captain Britain.

Superman's a bitch though. The only good episodes of superman was the episode where he meets batman, and meanwhile the Joker made a deal with Lex Luther, to trade Kryptonite for something else I cant remember, needless to say it was one of the only suspenseful episodes of superman. And the other episode of superman that was good was when he fought this guy called "Doomsday" who kicked his ass and evantually killed him, the title of the comic was "The Death of Superman" unfortunately there was a sequel to it where he rises from the dead. Go figure.

Spiderman is my favorite hero, simply because his fighting is based on actually fighting, and not having a whole lot of advantages other than webshooting and wall climbing, which arent very essential for beating people up.

Enjay said:

The other gripe I have is that you have to up the anti. There is no point in a super hero going up against normal villains. what would be the point? You've got some guy who can fly, stop time, bounce bullets off his chest... etc etc going up against some scroat with a switchblade and a heroin habit. So, you have to have supervillains to make it worthwhile and the whole thing turns into a "whose super power is best" pissing contest. Don't get me wrong. I quite enjoy it but it's only ever so good.

Well in a way, it's just like some custom monsters with Doom. It's easy to create something as extremely powerful, "super", and extremely huge with loads and loads of hit points and cool attacks... like Eriance's Hell Smith.

But the monster itself, is practically pointless to put in a level with stock Doom weaponry because the monster in question is basically on another plane when it comes to combat. So in turn, whoever uses that monster in their own level must make "super", extremely damaging and explosive weaponry to go along with that monster.

I do see your point though, that all the feats a superhuman person can do are not really that special given their capabilities. It's like putting on God Mode and trying to wow people with your skills. Plus, as a player, your not really progressing by using God Mode. Whatever your capabilities, you will only progress by overcoming challenges, depending on what constitutes a challenge as determind by what your capabilities are.