Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

I Am Legend would make a better Doom movie than the Doom movie.

Needs more zombies and rockets and BFGs.

If they ever make a second Doom movie, they should take notes.

I am Legend was nowhere like doom. Though it sure would have made one hell of a horror movie if done right.

Sorry, I wasn't to say that I Am Legend itself was very Doom-like... but it left me feeling that the producers/director probably could have made the Doom movie better if they did it :P

Coopersville said:

What? I Am Legend didn't seem very Doom-like to me.

The only thing that came close was one of the earlier scenes when he enters the dark warehouse, armed with a rifle and flashlight ala ducttape mod

I enjoyed it - it had me rather unnerved at some points and Will Smith was at his usual best (even if there wasn't much to the script).

Planky said:

The only thing that came close was one of the earlier scenes when he enters the dark warehouse, armed with a rifle and flashlight ala ducttape mod

That's what I was thinking, but I felt that would have made more of an awesome Silent Hill scene.

MikeRS said:

Sorry, I wasn't to say that I Am Legend itself was very Doom-like... but it left me feeling that the producers/director probably could have made the Doom movie better if they did it :P

I don't know, some people like to think the Doom movie is a pseudoprequel to what happens in the first game. When I think of it that way, I'm pretty satisfied with the movie.

Larzuk said:

I am Legend was nowhere like doom. Though it sure would have made one hell of a horror movie if done right.

It actually was done as a horror movie, twice. 1964's "The Last Man on Earth" and 1971's "Omega Man" are both earlier adaptions of the book "I am Legend" in a horror setting. "The Last Man on Earth" was particularly influential, as George Romero found it as one of the cheif inspirations for "Night of the Living Dead", making it grandfather of the Zombie Survival horror genre.

Coopersville said:

Well, the Doom movie also wasn't that Doom-like, either.

i am legend reminded me of resident evil. aliens seemed like a doom like movie to me. doomed feeling, shitloads of things trying to kill you, guns, etc.

It didn't strike me as at all Doomy.

I thought it was 2 movies that, individually, were reasonably well done but which didn't sit particularly well together. ie the first part being a slow analysis of a guy on his own after an apocalyptic event and how he copes (or doesn't) as a result of it. The second part was just a turbo-charged super-human zombie fight flick.

I thought Manhattan looked convincingly distressed and I liked little touches like the sounds of the city being replaced by constant twittering birdsong.

Did his family really need to get killed in the chopper (assuming that it did crash - which was off screen)? And was the scene of his wife being mis-diagnosed and him pulling rank to get her re-checked worth while?

Bottom line though, it's almost exactly like 28 days later in its execution and, to me at least, it's a pale imitation of that movie. Higher budget, lower substance.

While they overused CGI on the mutants I found it to be real creepy. 28 Days Later meets Castaway storyline worked for me. While not the greatest movie, it did manage to scare me. Although I did expect Carlton to pop out of nowhere and him and Will do a crazy Bob Marley dance.

i havent seen it yet but my bro got it on dvd (but it wont run on his blu-ray player wtf)

but when i do watch it ill definitely keep doom in mind.

I saw it today and it really isn't more doomy than the DOOM movie or anything, although the urban environment certainly wouldn't be bad for an "Hell on Earth" movie. You have to add the appropriate monsters, though.

Most of the movie is pretty cool, except the final parts. The parts with Robert and Sam I liked, but after the chick and the kid show up it starts to turn to shit. The suspense is broken awkwardly, it includes the usual "something to do with god" sermon-lameness, and ends in an unoriginal and dull "heroic" way. It's like they had something good going but they artificially destroyed that when tying it up at the end.

Has nobody actually read the original book?
Granted, the movie was almost nothing like the book in narrative, but saying it's an imitation of 28 Days\Weeks is a tad unfair.

Jehar said:

Granted, the movie was almost nothing like the book in narrative, but saying it's an imitation of 28 Days\Weeks is a tad unfair.

Why? I mean, it pays its fair share of "homages" to 28DL. (Homages being a pussy way of saying plagiarism)

BJ Blazkowicz said:

Why? I mean, it pays its fair share of "homages" to 28DL. (Homages being a pussy way of saying plagiarism)

Considering that "I am Legend" was the book at essentially led to the whole zombie survival horror genre and was written in 1954 I would say that 28 Days Later is the plagiarist here.

Coopersville said:

Are you joking!!! thats because the doom movie was sooo horrible you're just confused. I think the point of this thread was to convey the overall quality of I am legend and somehow apply the will smith goodness to a doom movie. Perhaps I am legend feels doom-likeish because it is amazing and doom is amazing, however the doom movie sucks.

myk said:

The suspense is broken awkwardly, it includes the usual "something to do with god" sermon-lameness, and ends in an unoriginal and dull "heroic" way. It's like they had something good going but they artificially destroyed that when tying it up at the end.

You can't imagine how much I agree with you here.

The only way to make I am Legend Doomy:

1. More of the Vampire-guys. Make them all mutated so there are different kinds of them.

2. Regular attacks at night. Perhaps they just try to enter his home? Don't just have him in the tub with his dog.

3. More "Holy Hell!" warehouse moments.

4. More crazy Will Smith moments.

After that, add mroe weapons, shut the kid and his mom up, and you could potentially say that it took a lot off from Doom.

But otherwise...

Jehar said:

I have read the original book but I don't think the comparison is unfair. Stylistically it was merely 28 days later set in Manhattan just as much, if not more, than it was based on the original book. IMO of course. :)

MikeRS said:

If they ever make a second Doom movie, they should take notes.

God NO!

I don't really have anything against Doom movie, because there wasn't much I expected from it in the first place. Before I saw it, I knew they are gonna change all the hellish background to sci-fi horror, in which it's us, the humanity, the men, who brought evil and destruction... ooh!

I'm just so sick of that. If Aliens were to learn about mankind from Hollywood movies, they would have bombed our planet clean on the first encounter, or just pass by.

I wanted HELL in the movie, god damned, not another f-kin virus.

myk said:

I saw it today and it really isn't more doomy than the DOOM movie or anything, although the urban environment certainly wouldn't be bad for an "Hell on Earth" movie. You have to add the appropriate monsters, though.

Most of the movie is pretty cool, except the final parts. The parts with Robert and Sam I liked, but after the chick and the kid show up it starts to turn to shit. The suspense is broken awkwardly, it includes the usual "something to do with god" sermon-lameness, and ends in an unoriginal and dull "heroic" way. It's like they had something good going but they artificially destroyed that when tying it up at the end.

I enjoyed the movie overall, but the parts leading up to sam's death was by far the better part of the movie. After the woman and the kid show up, it's just like "Ok, lets wrap it up now!"

I liked how NYC looked.

28 Days\Weeks followed the usual zombie theme of a small group of people depending on each other for survival. Save the dog, Will was all along in Legend, turning it into another animal altogether imo. At any rate, I did like the change in theme being actual survival (shelter, food, etc) than direct conflict with the zombies\vampires, as per usual.

The Mist was still better than I Am Legend as far as 2007's sci-fi/horror contributions are concerned. I Am Legend was pretty disappointing, actually. As everyone who's seen the movie has acknowledged, it was great for the first 2/3 and then it just kinded abruptly ended, like they weren't given enough time to finish writing a decent screenplay and so instead they picked the cheesiest way they possibly could end it just for the sake of wrapping it up.

I hope Cloverfield kicks some ass, though.

John Carpenter should direct the next doom movie.Hell,look at the Hellraiser movies and The Thing(I recently bought it on DVD after I lost the VHS during the move.)

Carpenter isn't my favorite, but he really hits the nail sometimes with his Lovecraftian works (the Thing, Mouth of Madness, etc).

Bring on The Blob movie!

I don't think Doom could ever have a decent movie made for it, regardless of director.

Ultimate Doom movie = Event Horizon.

Where you're going, you won't need eyes to see!