Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cloud109

At The Gates of Doom: A Brief History of Doom Ports

At The Gates of Doom: A Brief History of Doom Ports

So, I just made this quick video to educate the masses on Youtube. I figured you guys might be interested as well, especially the few of you on here who haven't played any of the console Dooms / are only familiar with the PC version. That, and I saw it as a chance to demonstrate some of the awesome [and not so awesome] music from the different versions of Doom.

More from the Youtube description: "This video takes a brief look at the history of the numerous console ports of the original Doom for the PC. Unfortunately, due to my inability to capture actual in-game footage for many of the titles (Primarily because I lack several of the consoles, or the respective games for some of the consoles I do have), I could only include screenshots of the in-game footage. Each screen capture also comes complete with additional trivia regarding the console port is corresponds too. In addition, the video features all of the individual box art for the games, and each rendition of the first level's music."

Nicely done. And you made me curious about how the music of the Atari Jaguar intermission screens (as I assume you were talking about in your video) sounds.

The 3DO Music is quite good. Really enjoyable. On that same note the GBA is awful, I'd rather play with none at all.

CodeImp said:

Nice, but incomplete.

hehe, just kidding :P

I lol'd.

But seriously, thanks for all the feedback. I was actually thinking of making a follow-up video, to cover some of the features of the more popular source ports. Since those are more easily accessible, I might be able to include... **Pause for dramatic effect** Actual gameplay footage for each of the individual source ports! Really, I'm in the market to make any videos directly related to Doom at the moment.

EDIT: I just noticed this thread got moved to the source ports section. Sorry I had it in the wrong place; I didn't know if console version discussion and source port discussion were two separate entities of discussion, so I winged it and originally posted it in the general discussion. Thanks for moving it.

DoomII for GBA kicked ass. The Music kicked ass, too. the whole GBA DoomII port was beautiful and my friends and I would slog each other on the bus to school. Memories...

Bank said:

The 3DO Music is quite good. Really enjoyable. On that same note the GBA is awful, I'd rather play with none at all.

Total agreement here, the GBA's music sounds worse than the FM synthesiser on my old windows 95.

Anyways, great job with the video. I'm eagerly awaiting the video about the sourceports.