Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReX

TeamTNT's Return From Oblivion: Released

TeamTNT's latest project Return From Oblivion: DooM Eternal IV is complete and has been released. Look for it to appear in /newstuff soon.

This is a ZDooM project. All maps are: (i) medieval-themed, and generally very large compared to typical DooM maps; (ii) non-linear and feature multiple paths; (iii) feature castle and fortress architecture, fights on an epic scale, and magnificent vistas. This is a 7-map demo. TeamTNT intends to create a full megawad next.

ROFL im with this guy ^^^^^

WTF?!
this is awesome i never thought you guys would release for a long while

Almost--a couple of things Rex and I need to touch up and it'll be rolled into newstuff. I'll post back here when done.

bah, i just noticed that its 7 map demo

not that i complaining
i just figured you guys would have done more after developing it for so long

oh yeah, most delicious. poop ejaculated from me as well.

i do know that it is a misused vocabulary term.

Okay, it's been released. Mirrors may take a while to catch up so I've put a link on our TeamTNT site to the zip. Be kind--I think I have plenty of bandwidth but haven't tested it with a bunch of 16MB downloads.

I'll be working overnight starting about 1:30AM here (US Central) so I'll keep an eye out and when the German mirror gets updated I'll redirect to that.

One small note of correction. The text file says:

Other game styles : (co-op starts only in Maps 11-13, but not tested)

Actually there are co-op starts in Map27 as well, and that map has been tested for co-op.

This correction will be made in the text file soon.

[EDIT: Another inadvertent omission from the text file - jumping has been expressly diabled in Map13.]

I tried it, and I find a few things missing, in need of changing..

Titlepic, absolutely horrific.
No music at all?
Why isn't it starting at the correct map when you choose new game?

kristus said:

Why isn't it starting at the correct map when you choose new game?

That would certainly be easy to set up in Zdoom via MAPINFO.

There seem to be quite a few minor errors getting spat out at the console when you start the maps. Stuff that can easily be cleaned up - primarily to add even more professionalism to the product as anything else.

I also noticed a few sprites borrowed from Hexen that, in the parent game, had special functions but here are just simple decorations. eg, it would have been nice to be able to shoot the suits or armour and have them break.

However, I've just completed my first map (map10 as I played it) and, in the immortal words of Lord Vader "Impressive, most impressive". It's a stunning map to look at and great fun to play. Any negative comments I have about the project up to this point (ie the things above) are minor nitpicks compared to the sheer quality and fun of the thing.

Please make it so I can skip ALL text sequences. I do not enjoy dying and having to sit through it again Team TNT.

kristus said:

No music at all?

Music was deliberately omitted from Maps08-10. Maps 11-13 and Map27 all have music.

Enjay said:

That would certainly be easy to set up in Zdoom via MAPINFO.

Precisely. Another thing: For such large maps building compressed GL nodes might be a good idea. GZDoom would thank you because the startup time is several seconds less and ZDoom can use them as well.

ReX said:

Music was deliberately omitted from Maps08-10. Maps 11-13 and Map27 all have music.

What about the title music? Why is it the same old Doom2 music there. It's a nitpick no doubt, but for me those things make a difference.

I'm most impressed! A very good mood setter. The only thing which left me a bit annoyed after a little while, was the amount (and volume) of ambient sound effects, like the owls, cicadas, crickets, wolves, etc. inside some building structures, where they seemed to be a bit out of place.

Architecture and whole gamplay is stunning. I like it sooo much.
But I tried playing it with a GZDooM Advanced weapon mod and I found out that it doesnt support any Decorate Weapon mods... What a pity it played well with reloading and stuff.
Autors should add MAPINFO with proper info, this is just not professional. Armors should be brekable too.

"i think eternal doom is a pretty cool guy. eh releases demos and doesn't afraid of anything."

The maps look amazing ... the 3D floor effect on the north end of map 27 just about gave me a vasectomy when I first saw it. I just started playing, and I gotta say I love all the new enemies. They really add to the medieval theme. So how long are we gonna have to wait until the full project is released?

Scuba Steve said:

So... you think artists should test their wads so OTHER addons work with them?

Of course! Also this wad does not work with RORDoom, thus it sucks!

Oooh, here'a a naughty little problem. It's possible, indeed very easy, to bump the blue keycard by accident on map11. I didn't even know the key was there, because it is totally hidden, but I still got it.

Enjay,

You are right about the blue key but trying this took me a lot of tries but was finaly able to get it. The key is just slightly off center where it is hidden so bumping pilar on one of the sides gives it to you. Very unfortunate this can happen but the good thing is that it will not totaly screw up gameplay. You just don't really need to find the red keycard. You can still get to all areas of map and finish. If you don't search out the red keycard you might not see all the map and kill all enemies.

Chris

Yeah, I didn't think it was a huge issue. I also checked in the editor and saw it was a bit off centre. I can reliably get it almost every time though. Go to the door with the red keycard symbol on the door. Walk right up to the door and [use] it if you really want. Then just run straight backwards. That's how I discovered the problem (I accidentally backed into it) and 9 times out of 10 I'll get it first go doing that.

It's still a cracking map though. It took me absolutely ages to get through it. All the maps in this are just stunning in appearance and filled with interesting and novel ideas too and this one is no exception.

Mordeth said:

I'm getting this from a straight new install of zdoom 2.1.7 without any addons. What gives?

I'm not trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs (what the hell does that mean anyway) but Zdoom 2.1.7 has been the current release for over a year now and I've not seen people complain about that. So have you checked your IWAD to make sure that it hasn't got corrupted and that all of SPOSD1, SPOSD2D8, SPOSD3D7, SPOSD4D6 and SPOSD5 are there and correctly named?