Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

How to purchase original, boxed DOS doom?

Hello all,

I'd like to buy a (new) copy of the original, three-episode doom game (not the ultimate doom -- the true original floppy disk doom). I'm willing to pay quite a large sum for it, so if anyone has a new copy or can direct me to someone/somewhere that does, then I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!

I tried to.....A large sum for it?

I would suggest you get a downgrade patch and downgrade to ver 1.1 then upgrade to doom 3-episode ver 1.9 .

You have to watch ebay for it.

Right now I see ID anthology and the depths of doom. :)

Hmm I cant find it on ebay. But I did find hat someone is trying to sell their 21 level pwad on there. Which somehow I think hes claiming the Master Levels as his own...

And try this on ebay.

Save this search because such an item may soon be for sale. By saving this search you can save time: we'll email you when matching items appear on the site.

Post to Want It Now and tell millions of other users what you want.

Inferno said:

Can I ask why?

I remember I called id Software after one of my floppies became damaged. They were dicks to me on the phone which was sad because they were like my heroes and all. "hahaha, kid thinks we're gonna send him new disks.. what a moron." Just the way the people here are on doomworld!

Back to my point... Ahh the nostalgia... those were the days. Waiting for each disk to install, the prompt for the next disk, taking out the disk, inserting the next disk... and then... finally, done! Classic collector's item. I can totally understand why. I wonder what kind of collection former id team members have kept if any. Good luck with your search!

I did find doom 2 original box on floppies for $20: Doom 2 on floppies on ebay

here's a link of some old dos games circa doom era (including Blake Stone and Rise of the Triad on floppies) many of them are under $10, including DooM (but Ultimate on CD-Rom :-/ no Doom 1-3 on floppies) buy old dos games

this might have some value to anyone as it solved a problem of someone trying to get his original doom 3.5 floppies installed and first disk was corrupt--offers a file download to get version 1.2 doom.exe which was the file that was corrupt on the disk.

Excerpt from google search:
"I know its not doom 2 but, did anyone buy the original doom one on floppy? Man i did, and i jest found them! ahh my precious.... and they still work! ..."

Here's the link to the full article. Maybe contact "Aaron" on that forum.

There ya go: guy claims to have original doom on floppies but does he still have the box and original disks in good condition? And if so, is he willing to relinquish them? I registered with GameSpot and am waiting for an email confirmation so that I can send him a PM to find out what the status is on the disks. Gamespot really fails it. They fricking require your mailing address to register with the site! Unreal. I just put in some quackery. Then they tell me my last name is invalid! Apparently they don't think four letter last names exist. It did bring to my attention that I may have the shortest anglo saxon descent last name. It's never really occurred to me my last name is shorter than what's typical... I usually just think everyone else's last names are really long. :P

Edit: I PMed the guy, hope my message was okay:

Hey, I am writing on behalf of someone who is looking for original retail doom floppies and box (not ultimate doom and not doom 2 and not CD)

Are your doom disks in good condition and do you still have the original box? If so, would you be willing to sell it?

let me know either way, thanks!
Jason

doomworld.com

Intel17 said:

I'd like to buy a (new) copy of the original, three-episode doom game

Used copies appear on eBay occasionally - that's where I found 1.1r on CD (with mini-manual) and 1.2r on floppy (boxed with poster and manual - Disk 1 corrupted).
New (unused) copies would be few and far between these days, mostly in the hands of collectors. If you can find one - good luck, hope you can afford it.

I thought it was strange last year to see two floppy disk dooms with box selling on ebay at almost the same time and the cd version of it too.

GreyGhost said:

Used copies appear on eBay occasionally - that's where I found 1.1r on CD (with mini-manual)

v1.1 was never released on CD-ROM; the first version to be released on CD-ROM was v1.666.

Hmm, well, I do have several new, shrinkwrapped Ultimate Dooms, so I guess if I don't find the floppies, I still I have the relatively rare Ultimate Dooms...but thanks all!

Never_Again said:

v1.1 was never released on CD-ROM; the first version to be released on CD-ROM was v1.666.

Looks like I have a mystery item. It's not a gold disk, was mastered on 13/Feb/94 (according to IsoBuster) and contains the install files for Doom 1.1r. The CD-sized manual has been professionally typeset.
Maybe it's a bootleg - published before GT Interactive took over distribution? I'm not parting with it regardless of it's history.

Can do. No box unfortunately - that might have answered all our questions.
I've uploaded a few scans - maybe enough for someone to recognise this CD and share it's history with us.

Scan 1 is the back inlay & manual front cover - scanned through the jewel case.
Scan 2 is the CD & manual back cover
Scan 3 is the CD again & inside the manual

The inner ring on the CD has "SOFTWARE DOOM11" printed on it - meant to be read from the other side.
The installation instuctions in scan 3 are obviously for a PC.

If that really is an official v1.1 CD then it must be pretty rare. It was a year or two before CDROM drives became common in PCs, and all software was distributed on disks back then. I've certainly never heard of a CD version of Doom 1.1; only disk versions.

The date for the CD pressing does make sense. Doom 1.2 was released four days later on February 17th, so Doom 1.1 was the most up to date version at the time.

One thing that doesn't add up is that the order.frm file distributed with Shareware Doom 1.1 and 1.2 doesn't mention a CD version at all - only 3.5" and 5.25" floppy versions. The first mention of a CD version comes in the 1.8 order.frm which says that Doom CDs will be available "after 3-1-95".

Best suggestion I can think of is to ask John Romero.

According to the Official Doom FAQ (which I should have checked earlier) my CD is an illegal copy.
That being the case, it's most likely from South-East Asia - a source of counterfeit merchandise for decades.

Bummer! :(

Intel17 said:

Hmm, well, I do have several new, shrinkwrapped Ultimate Dooms, so I guess if I don't find the floppies, I still I have the relatively rare Ultimate Dooms...but thanks all!

Ultimate Doom isn't rare.

GreyGhost said:

According to the Official Doom FAQ (which I should have checked earlier) my CD is an illegal copy.
That being the case, it's most likely from South-East Asia - a source of counterfeit merchandise for decades.

Bummer! :(

At least it looks cool

If anybody has a brand-new original doom and is willing to part with it, I'd be happy to pay $100+ for it.

Umm or you could buy collectors edition which has more than just origional Doom and costs like $20.

Inferno said:

Umm or you could buy collectors edition which has more than just origional Doom and costs like $20.

I doubt he's looking to buy Doom in order to play it. He probably already has a copy in some form, but is instead interested in having the original package and disks. The Collector's Edition would not be of much use here.

He's already said that he has several copies of Ultimate Doom (which isn't rare, but heh), and he's looking for the actual Doom Registered 1.9 floppies.

Basically, it's for his collection.

Oh I didn't see he had multiple copies of Ultimate Doom. Might have read over the post by accident, my bad. +$100 though, wow.

Haha, yeah, it's no problem, Inferno :)

I'm just a really, really big Doom fan...money's no object when it comes to doom collector's items.

Hey I totally understand. You must have a very impressive collection! Good luck finding those discs, and again sorry for the misunderstanding.

hmm you drive a hard bargain... NOT!

if i had whatever you were looking for id sell it in a second. even if it was 100 dollars id be like holy shit here you go.