Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SPV999

Using Scripts in Doom?

Doom Builder will only give me the scripts option when using ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) or straight ZDoom (Hexen) format. But it wont let me use DECORATE in Hexen, and I dont have any sprites or maps in Hexen either (all my current maps are ZDoom (Doom in Doom format)).

Is there something I'm missing? Some way that I can use Scripts, DECORATE, my current sprites, and no limit on Vertices (another error it gives me in Hexen)? Do I have any idea as to what I'm talking about?

you have to use doom in hexen format, gzdoom format, or skulltag doom in hexen format in order to use scripts decorate etc.

it doesnt matter whether or not you have hexen, as long as you have the doom iwad you can make maps in doomhexen format.

Why doesnt Doom Builder give me the option for DECORATE when I convert the map to Hexen then?

I tried converting using DoomII converter, but I cant figure out how to execute the program. >_< Yeah, I'm a n00b.

I also get vertices errors, but I think I just need to convert the maps using a real converter instead of just Doom Builder.

Let me just say this:
I want to keep my maps/textures/ect. exactly as they are, but be able to use Scripts in them. currently they are in ZDoom (Doom in Doom format).
How, if possible, would I go about doing this?

DECORATE is loaded in Doom Builder whenever the DECORATE lump can be found. It is not dependent on the game configuration you choose.

To convert your map from Doom format to Hexen format there is some tool out there I believe called "zwadconv".

Ok, I'll figure out DECORATE later.

For now, how do I use zwadconv (now that I have it)? I also have dm2conv that also claims to work but I still dont know how to use.

You go ultra old schools and load up the command line (heh).

It simple, start up your command line (start->run->cmd) and type the following:
C:/folder/folder/folder/zwadconv.exe in.wad out.wad

Remember to replace the folders with where zwadconv is.
in.wad is the wad you want converted.
out.wad is the filename of the converted pwad that you want.

Now, it’s been a while since I used this so I may be wrong with how its setup, but that should be how it’s done.

Thanks! that clears up a lot, but now the DOS prompt is saying it cant open the WAD file (though the converter starts, according to the prompt)

Thats odd, can you give me a screenshot of whats going on? I think you may have done some incorrectly...

At first I couldn’t see your problem, then I Remembered that spaces in folder names can do strange thing (and you put zwadconv in such a dir). You need to move zwad conv into a directory that does not include spaces so it can find the file your converting (make sure that’s also brought along).

I also noticed that you wanted to convert doom.wad, which is kind of pointless. However, you are trying to convert it to hexen.wad, which is even more pointless, which means you got the whole idea mixed up on using scripts in doom. Allow me to tell you how...

When you start to make a new map for zdoom, and you want to have scripts in your map, use the configuration "Zdoom (Doom in Hexen format)".
This is not Hexen, this is doom in Hexen format (so its doom with scripts and such). Once loaded up, make sure you point your Iwad for this configuration to your doom or doom2 Iwad. Simple. You don't need Hexen in any way :D.

[Edit]
Before I forget, you want to know about decorate right? Simple. Decorate is a lump for defining custom actors (scenery, weapons, ammo, monsters, power-ups... you get the idea). You can use this with doom builder, but doom builder cannot edit decorate. Decorate has to be edited externally though a lump editor (Slumped or XWE will do fine. Do a search on them).
[/Edit]

But what of my old maps that are already in ZDoom (Doom in doom format)?

Plus, how would I get this maps into my current WAD (I assume use the "Save into" option, but while I'm here...)?

And I know how to use DECOARTE, but whenever I load Doom Builder into any sort of Hexen (Doom in Hexen format, or plain Hexen) it doesnt give me a DECOARTE option in the Things menu, even though my configuration IWAD does have DECORATE (normally, the WAD I'm editing would have DECORATE while the configuration IWAD wouldnt, as it causes errors, but since in this case I'm making a new map there's no other WAD to reference.)

Thanks for your patients so far though.

Ok, I see you point now on using a converter, but why convert iwads? You don't edit those (Its a bad idea to edit an iwad).

Yes, you do use "save into..." to save maps into other wads.

Decorate can't be loaded from an Iwad in doombuilder if I'm correct, thats what the game configuation is for. Decorate is for pwads and the option is there if decorate is found in your map so you don't have to edit the configuation for your own wads. The game config should match the iwad your using, and if so, should provide all the resorces it has.

Ah ha! Got it working. I had to create a new map in Doom Builder in (Doom in Hexen format), then save it into a copy of my PWAD (didnt want to risk my PWAD), and finally re-load the map.

I would still like to know if there was a way to convert my old maps. Any time I try saving them into another WAD, or playing them in (Doom in Hexen format), it tells me it cant build the nodes, then the game starts and gives a vertices error. It's not the NodeBuilder, as when the map is created in (Doom in Hexen format) it works just fine.

We're so close! I'll try tinkering with a copy some more.

Give me a copy of the maps your trying to convert. I have a free afternoon today so I'm welling to have a go at getting your problem solved.