Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prince of Darkness

Makin' Doom music

So I noticed recently that many here make their own music for their own levels. How would you go about doing so? And, for a newb like myself,how should I go about music? Should I just use the original tracks, or should I try for more simple things?

If you want to offer a simple map just for shooting fun (be it Deathmatch, Single Play or Coop), you could of course go with the original music (so, don't place any music lump into your WAD). If you plan to use other people's work in your WAD, be sure that they don't have a problem with you doing so (ask permission if necessary) and that the music isn't copyrighted by law.

If your intention is to set the mood with more than just the help of your design and/or custom texturing, music might help. The original DooM (Vanilla DooM) supports, as far as I know, MUS and MID-files (the original DooM music is in MUS format), but, depending on the source port you want people to use to play your map(s), you can choose from many different music filetypes, ranging from MP3 (which isn't recommended if you have multiple maps in your WAD, since it will make the file ridiculously big, and using copyrighted music is also greatly discouraged, since most sites won't even allow you to upload it), OGG, and the somewhat retro, but in my opinion certainly still very useful, MOD/S3M/XM. For the latter, I would still recommend Fasttracker II, although it needs an MS-DOS environment (there are Windows-based trackers out there, but not many I'd recommend. But if you're curious anyway, check out Renoise or MadTracker).

Some source ports support other kinds of music formats, but I would recommend you to visit the respective websites for additional information about them.

Hellbent said:

I have an MP3 without lyrics I want to convert into a midi.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Yes. Turn back now. This will only end horribly.

Hellbent said:

A MIDI file doesn't contains actual audio data, so there can be no conversion. You must orchestrate the track yourself, and you must be able to play keyboards.

There are some converters out there, but I've never tried one. What it does, is read your MP3 and tries to recreate the soundwaves using just a few, if not just one, instrument (which, I'd imagine, ends up sounding like a bag of cats trying to eat each other's intestines). Go online, try and find a MIDI version of the MP3. Or compose one using a MIDI editor.

which, I'd imagine, ends up sounding like a bag of cats trying to eat each other's intestines

Oh it does...

The one i tried wanted a "Tone file", whatever that is. I just added the MP3 to both boxes. It then said the "Tone file" had to have a 1 second duration to work best. I went to the middle of the song, pressed play and stop and deleted everything else, ending up with a roughly one-second clip of the "tone" and tried it. The results where... painful

Hellbent said:

What is the song?

Hellbent said:

Find an arranged version on the internet. Never EVER use a converter, or you'll end up being in Mock 4.

Hellbent said:

Even if you found the MIDI version of the MP3, its melody will be nearly the same. If the whole song is copyrighted, the MIDI will contain the copyrighted instrumental part.

i hope you are being very sarcastic, because that's taking things just a little too far.
i can understand including a cd-quality copyrighted song in a .wad, but a midi composition is 100% different...especially if the author is not intending to make a profit off of the modification. cover bands are not fined for performing songs copyrighted by other artists...and they do make a profit off these public performances.
although it is true that some venues have to pay a monthly licensing fee to ASCAP (i've been working in the industry for the past 10 years) in order to protect this integrity, most venues do not, and this is hardly enforced.

i can go on, but there really is no point.
i'm not wasting any more of my time trying to sift through and explain the mountains of gray area that entail the RIAA copyright laws when they are on their way out anyway.

take no offense, this is just a subject that i have a lot of experience with and i really don't understand a lot of the behavior toward it in this scene.

I'm still not gonna put Children of Bodom midis in my wad, because of the rather elaborate instrumentals, which make up most of the track anyway.

The Lag said:

cover bands are not fined for performing songs copyrighted by other artists...and they do make a profit off these public performances.

What? They definitely do have to pay for that, unless they're playing in a restaurant/bar less than 3750 square feet or a store less than 2000 square feet. (Actually, I forget if those no-payment conditions apply to live bands or just to broadcasting recordings. Either way, cover bands do have to pay.)

With that said, though, no one cares about the legality of using midis in Doom wads.