Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nathan92

Doom 4?

Doom 4 won't come out in the next 4 years or so, and if it does Id better start working in it soon as i don't think it will be very good if it takes less than 3 years to make.

It makes me think that they are waiting 4 years because then it will be nostalgia all over again for 20 years of Doom.

I think and hope they'll start on it some time after Rage. Maybe it will borrow experiences from Rage or from the movie? I think it's too dry now to think of something good for a new commercial Doom release.

On wikipedia, It said they had announced it

Wikipedia, the free encylopaedia anyone can edit

encylopaedia anyone can edit

anyone can edit

anyone

Thank God...I have been looking for another game to scare me for a LONG time. FEAR was good, but I don't like the enemies not being freaky,

If a DOOM 4 is released, I really, really hope that it's developed by id. If it's made by any other company, I probably won't buy it until it hits the bargain bin (if ever).

Why? Doom 3 is fine as plot is concerned. Better if Doom 4 is just a better Doom 3.

THEN AGAIN, id like to make each game revolutionary in technology, so Doom 4, if made by them, would probably require a holographic system, as opposed to the classic 2d monitors? Can't wait to enjoy.

Doom 4, in my opinion, would need a fantastic new story, and not another retelling using new techniques, so players can go 'oooh' and 'aaah' with a story already familiar with them. It's like reading the Batman comics, then watching the TV series, then watching the first couple of movies, and then watching the movies coming out now.

The word 'Doom' can mean so many things, and the link to Hell and its demons can be made in so many different ways. Sure, UAC and a lone space marine can be in there as well, but hopefully in a somewhat different sequence of totally different events this time.

A wink to the old Doom fans is nice, but old Doom fans also want new stuff sometimes.

Hiirulainen said:

I hope that Doom 4 will be based on Hell on Earth. and there would be more than one Cyberdemon.... And chainsaw ofcourse ;)

I hope Doom 4 will be based on some newfangled planet. Enough already with the Earth and Mars.... hell put it on the damned Moon or something. As long as the demons come from hell and they don't take up the chromosome idea from the movie....

That's something I've missed.

Doom 4 you say. I hope that they make it brighter.

On the topic of other planets.

I'd like it set on one of Jupiter's moons. I mean look at IO and all the crazy stuff going on down there. I mean that moon is as pure as hell can be. No mapologue can even plot a stable map of IO since it is changing every 2 hours or so. Take our marine for instance, imagine how he needs to battle his way on IO with all these cataclysmic changes, IOquakes, volcanic eruptions, the massive radiation that Jupiter beams down on IO every second. Now that's a level IO'd love to play.

A bit of trivia: In the movie 2010 a ship travels to Jupiter. The ship and everyone abord would've died from the radiation that Jupiter sends out. If they should have a serious chance of survive they needed 10 meter thick hardened panzerwalls around them.

Intel17 said:

If a DOOM 4 is released, I really, really hope that it's developed by id. If it's made by any other company, I probably won't buy it until it hits the bargain bin (if ever).

Ever since the Quake 4 fiasko, they have been showing signs that they themselves want to develop their games in-house. Quake Live is the first task for the newly created B team at id. Surely, they will expand this B team if QLive (or the development process) is a success. This is good news to me. Raven makes awfully generic template shooters.

Shaviro said:

Raven makes awfully generic template shooters.

How was Doom 3 any more complicated in terms of gameplay then Quake 4 minus the PDA's?

Complicated?
Do you really think you measure a game on how complicated it is?

You will have to subtract quite a lot from Doom3 to get down to Quake4s low low level. Quake4 was an uninspired, embarrassing story, nopuzzle game that made a mockery of the doom3 engine. The game itself looked quite a bit worse than Doom3, it had practically no clever usage of the gui system and the story presentation was....
Anyway. The only really good thing in Quake 4 was the action/reaction component of the weapons and monsters. That was really good, but it's nowhere near enough for a high budget modern shooter. Doom3 was a good and solid game. Its main problem is that it didn't reach for the stars. It relied too much on the core they had created and didn't allow for any new ventures. Quake 4 looks and feels as if they didn't know where to take it, and spent half the time drooling over Doom3.

hardcore_gamer said:

How was Doom 3 any more complicated in terms of gameplay then Quake 4 minus the PDA's?

Not necessarely more complicated, but with much more attention to detail and way more polished then Quake4.

I also was disappointed by Quake4. Not that the game is bad, it´s above avarage, but it´s no worthy successor to Quake2 in any way.

Tetzlaff said:

Not necessarely more complicated, but with much more attention to detail and way more polished then Quake4.

I also was disappointed by Quake4. Not that the game is bad, it´s above avarage, but it´s no worthy successor to Quake2 in any way.

I agree completely.
Quake 4 was fun on the first run through. The action/reaction was really well made, and the sounds were solid. Too bad everything else was very disappointing. They had the best engine available, and they didn't really use any of its core features for anything special that would enhance the gaming experience. That's very poor.

Quake 4 had allot of cool things Doom 3 did not have, like large outdoor areas and war machines the player could use like tanks and walkers. And the story was presented in nice way with really cool cut scenes.

And about the GUIS well who gives a shit, i want to shot stuff not spend all day toying with some stupid computer interfaces!

hardcore_gamer said:

Quake 4 had allot of cool things Doom 3 did not have, like large outdoor areas

Outdoor areas that looked like shit and functioned like a linear corridor.

and war machines the player could use like tanks and walkers.

That were sorry, fucked up excuses of "COOL VEHICLE PARTS" where you were forced to use pathetic vehicles in even more pathetic vehicle segments that felt so glued on that it was an insult to modern gaming. You couldn't even exit the vehicle before the horrible segment was over.

And the story was presented in nice way with really cool cut scenes.

You are kidding me, right? Quake 4's story presentation was so laughable. "Kane, let me talk AT you for 5 minutes about boring missions nobody cares about. Kane this. Kane that.", and the end was awful. It even almost gave RTCW's ending a run for its money for "Crappiest ending ever".

And about the GUIS well who gives a shit, i want to shot stuff not spend all day toying with some stupid computer interfaces!

Haha. I guess that sums you up pretty good :P
First you whine about how Doom3 doesn't have more "complicated gameplay" than Quake4, and you then go on to say that you just want to shoot stuff. Which is it? And if you think the GUI system is only good for "stupid computer interfaces" like the ones used in Quake4 "GENERIC BUTTON #81232134 THAT WILL OPEN LOCKED DOOR #234712398", then you are so wrong it's not even funny :S

Shaviro said:

Haha. I guess that sums you up pretty good :P
First you whine about how Doom3 doesn't have more "complicated gameplay" than Quake4, and you then go on to say that you just want to shoot stuff. Which is it? And if you think the GUI system is only good for "stupid computer interfaces" like the ones used in Quake4 "GENERIC BUTTON #81232134 THAT WILL OPEN LOCKED DOOR #234712398", then you are so wrong it's not even funny :S

I fail to see how having 2 buttons on a GUIS instead of just one makes the gmaeplay more interesting.

And Doom 3 could have had at least slightly complicated gameplay while making sure that the game is still just good old shoot the living crap out whats in front of you like the old Doom was. Like the player the option to choose his way through the levels instead of always going the exact same route.

Yes. Doom3 could. So could Quake4 and rail-shooter Half-Life 2. And who's talking about buttons?
Anyway. Modern shooters are doing so many things wrong, and all the companies are extremely afraid of trying new, old or just plain different things. Doom3 suffers heavily from this as well. What's wrong with Quake4, though, is that it is so generic that it makes Doom3 and Half-Life 2 look like innovative and genre-defining games.

Doom 4 heh...yea i am looking forward to it but it sure won't beat the classic Doom nothing can beat the classics...but i might try it just for the heck of it.

I expect to see Spider Mastermind i hope this time.

Shaviro said:

Yes. Doom3 could.

Doom 3 has badass monsters and special effects better than how current Doom ports have the power to make. Therefore it's a loss that id's designers have made all levels strictly linear. If they hadn't been linear and had given the player the possibility to choose, then Doom 3 would have become a stronger and serious alternative to its classic counterparts.

printz said:

alternative to its classic counterparts.

I take it you don't play Doom 3 then. I still play it, only custom made levels granted, but thats still playing it. The reason for why i love new levels for Doom 3 is the fact that the author can create what ever he wants with the Doom 3 engine, so unlike Doom and Doom 2 levels, i don't know what i will be seeing or doing before i see it and do it.

hardcore_gamer said:

I take it you don't play Doom 3 then.

I do, I do, though it's also that my machine is old and many custom levels aren't well-compiled so they're crippled. I still think the id guys could have spent more time on the challenges, than just doing the usual spawning of monsters among loud noises. Considering D3 was said to become a disgusting horror game, they could have tried at least something new than shoot-shoot-shoot.

I'll like the game really much when a dedicated team or expansion company makes megapaks both with imagination and no Doom 1 or 2 homages. Not to forget that they'll have to be of Doom theme, not TCs.