Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

[Community Project] Untitled New Years CP.

No, I'm hoping to get things just about finished today and tomorrow so I can focus on tweaking it, adding secrets etc.
I'm calling Map 15 "The Demons Inside." It's quite a big level with plenty of detail and I've yet to get playtesting but, optimistically, come Monday it should be all done.

Bloodskull said:

Just out of curiousity is anyone gonna need an extenstion on the deadline cause I'm up to my neck with schoolwork and Im gonna be away for the weekend so Im not sure if my map is gonna be completed.

Individually, I'm not going to need an extension, but the collaborative map has yet to be started. I think the quickest/most efficient way to do this would be to simply e-mail/PM the WAD as it's updated.

I'll go ahead and begin the first area of this final map. If anyone else is interested in working on this, please respond here so I can e-mail the WAD to you. I want at least 3 other people to volunteer if their current map won't demand all the time until the deadline.
After each of the 4 of us have had 3 turns with it, I'll take one last look at it to streamline things and make them flow together.

Since this map is specifically for doom's 14th birthday, the parameters are that:
1. The map must be ultimate doom style. Try to only use doom 1 textures if possible.
2. Try to avoid using doom 2 enemies unless absolutely necessary in order to keep the doom 1 spirit. You all won't miss Viles, now will you ;)
3. Realizing that this map is in a doom 2 WAD, it should probably have an SSG in it. If the SSG is put in the map, it should probably be in a well-hidden secret though.

Good ultimate doom maps are difficult to make, but I've played enough nice ones to know it's possible and with the talent I've seen in this team, I'm certain it can happen.

By the way, since Iv'e been keeping our recent status, here's where we are now. Since most of the mapping is nearly done, this list contains every resource the zipfile will have:
DR2008.WAD - "Dark Resolution 2008"
Map01 - Operation Zero : by Death-Destiny
Map02 - <Untitled> : by KingofFlames
Map03 - Den of the Beast : by Printz
Map04 - Devil's Pit : by Bloodskull
Map05 - Base Construction : by Stewboy
Map06 - Santa's Workshop : by Butts
Map07 - Asteroid NT7 : by The Lag
Map08 - The Hunt : by Craigs
Map09 - Square of Destruction : by Hardcore_Gamer
Map10 - Spawning Evil : by Dutch Devil
Map11 - <Untitled> : by Janitor
Map12 - The Soulscarred Universe : by Death-Destiny
Map13 - <Untitled> : by Fisk
Map14 - <Collaborative Map> : by Death-Destiny, Bloodskull, Butts, and Printz
Map15 - The Demons Inside : by Icecreamsoldier
Map16 - Lich : by Death-Destiny
Status Bar - 100% Completed
Titlepic - 100% Completed
Intermission Screen - 100% Completed
Credits Page - 0% Complete (Will be composed once all maps are finalized)
DeHackEd Patch - 50% Complete
Text File - 80% Complete

My map name is Devil's Pit so you may want to update that. I'm going away for the weekend so I'm cramming as much as I can for right now but I'm sure it wont be done by the 14th so I'll just tell everyone to keep working on this. Give me the collobrative map and I'll submit some E1/E3 unfinished maps I have and take my best area's and merge in with whatcha got.

Bloodskull said:

Just out of curiousity is anyone gonna need an extenstion on the deadline cause I'm up to my neck with schoolwork and Im gonna be away for the weekend so Im not sure if my map is gonna be completed.

Same here. I just presented my senior project and I've still got to do 4 writing assignments which are due tommorrow. I've got one of them done and I'm working on the other.

i'll need an extension for sure, im ridiculously busy with wrestling (and a little busy with school.) who else is working on the collaborative map? i could probably do some work on it if needed, like a room, but not much else.

Death-Destiny said:

Map14 - <Collaborative Map> : by Death-Destiny, Bloodskull, Butts, and ????

...and printz? I'm ambitious to add my stuff in there too, especially 'cuz I like Doom 1 mapping (I've often been thinking about making Doom 1 megawads, only failing afterwards). So I'd like to receive that map too once you're done :) If what I do is not up to par (like too frustrating), you can always tweak it -- same as for my finished MAP03.

Yet again, what sky should there be for maps 12-16? I'm pretty sure that contemporary polluted cityscape doesn't fit UDoom.

Sadly no archviles but hey, Barons of Hell are as strong as ever :P

Considering there's plenty of chance for the player to have a SSG by map 14, it's also plenty of chance for them to use it (shells are abundant). So I fear the map will just play like a crudely converted Doom1 map to Doom2, especially considering the lack of Doom1 specific textures (gargoyle bricks, shining red walls, hanged Barons, gargoyle woodplanks, bloody stone, planet plaques...).

printz said:

Yet again, what sky should there be for maps 12-16? I'm pretty sure that contemporary polluted cityscape doesn't fit UDoom.

Sadly no archviles but hey, Barons of Hell are as strong as ever :P

Considering there's plenty of chance for the player to have a SSG by map 14, it's also plenty of chance for them to use it (shells are abundant). So I fear the map will just play like a crudely converted Doom1 map to Doom2, especially considering the lack of Doom1 specific textures (gargoyle bricks, shining red walls, hanged Barons, gargoyle woodplanks, bloody stone, planet plaques...).

The cityscape sky will not fit the last 5 maps correctly. The most likely thing is probably that it will be replaced with plutonia's red sky. Otherwise it will have the master level's orange one.

As for map14, the player will have the SSG by then. The issue was whether or not a person playing from pistol start should have one or not on an ultimate doom level, which they should considering it's in a doom2 WAD. As for the style and gameplay of the map: despite using only doom1 textures,at the last edit, the map was still of fairly modern design (The selective texture scheme would fit a doom2 map as well) and the gameplay was appropriate for map14, so the SSG won't make a dramatic difference. If the map ends up being too old-school to be viable for a doom2 map, it can be adjusted once completed.

I suppose I'll call my map "Base Construction". Bloodskull, you got my map, right?

My map is pretty ready too, but I'd rather have someone playtest it before I submit it. Any volunteers?

im still kind of far from being finished and i have a bad case of mappers block...

Craigs said:

My map is pretty ready too, but I'd rather have someone playtest it before I submit it. Any volunteers?

I can playtest it for you if you want me to. :)

I'll PM you the wad. Just so you know, I haven't implemented difficulty settings.

hardcore_gamer has just finished playtesting my map and after a bit of tweaking and balancing, I should have it completely finished and ready to be uploaded by the end of the day at the very latest. Sorry for being late. It's getting close to the end of the semester, so I've been very busy what with exams and stuff coming up.

Aight everyone I've played through what you all have sent me so far and everything seem's good so far. Dutch's map is my favorite out of the bunch. Good luck to everyone else who's still working on theres.

I've got my 3 maps to Bloodskull, so we're just waiting on a few more maps before this WAD can be finalized. I hear our WAD's looking pretty sharp. =)

@Craigs: Does your map have a name? If so, I'll go ahead and make the graphic for it and update the .bex and .txt files.

In regards to the map 12-16 sky, the suggustion a few posts back contains skys only appropriate for urban or canyon-like maps. While I've yet to hear anything on map13, the remaining maps are all hell or subverted base levels, so the default red sky from plutonia fits the best. If we want a custom sky, it'll have to fit hell-themed maps. Also, every level from map01-map11 used the starry sky from BSPACK.WAD, so I assume there's no problem with using that for the first sky replacement.

There's one other thing I thought of. Way back when this project was being dreamt up, someone commented on the fact that a 16 map non-zdoom WAD would have no endtext. If we REALLY wanted to have it, we could make the default ending of map 15 a secret ending and put the 16th map in slot 31. This way, it'll have an intermission text to modify. It wouldn't affect the progression of the WAD at all. Just something to consider =/.

And by finishing the last level on map 31 by pressing the "super-secret switch" (even though you can make it the one the player HAS to press) you can put in a final end-game text screen as well.

hardcore_gamer said:

When is this project going to be released? It January 19 now.
Just asking.

It is currently set to be released on 1.31.2008. I believe that 10 maps have been submitted, so this is largely dependent on how quickly the authors of the remaining six get their's in.

After this, the WAD will have to be touched up and have the graphics added to it, but that should be fairly quick once the last maps are submitted.

@Bloodskull/Fisk: Does Fisk's map have a name. If it does, I'd like to make the graphic for it =)

Are you sure you can do both your map and part of the collaborative one?

Who owns the collaborative map now?

My map's pratically done, I just need to fix some things and it should be done. The collaborative map is in my possesion but until I'm done with my map entirely it's gonna be a bit. I will add a great deal of work to it though so you guys should be set with it. And I dont recall ever mentioning a "1-31-08-" release.