Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

UAC or Umbrella?

I've always wondered...who is the more diabolic corperation,UAC or Umbrella?
I can't really answer it,Umbrella played with genetics and life itself.In doing so they brought about the end of the world.But UAC dabbled in the more supernatural forces and brought about the near extinction of the Human race.
Whats the opinion of you guys?

I'm going to leave myself wide open for massive ridicule, I guess, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

What is Umbrella?

Other than a means not to get wet during rain, that is.

The "evil" Resident Evil corporation. And do you mean from the games or movies for each?

Well wasn't the UAC's whole scenario with the gateways more of an accident? Umbrella intentionally created monstrocities such as the Tyrants.

Ofcourse the demon invasion was much more severe, especially if you look at it during the time of Doom2.

So in terms of severtiy, I'd say UAC's incident.
For being "diabolical", Umbrella.

Well, since this is Classic Doom, UAC is not as evil as Umbrella. I mean, UAC had their own private army which they certainly had a reason for having, but they didn't have clear understanding of the shit they'd lodged themselves in to.

Now Doom 3 on the other hand is a different UAC. Betruger clearly was evil. But then again Doom 3 clearly sucked.

Inferno said:

Well wasn't the UAC's whole scenario with the gateways more of an accident? Umbrella intentionally created monstrocities such as the Tyrants.

Ofcourse the demon invasion was much more severe, especially if you look at it during the time of Doom2.

So in terms of severtiy, I'd say UAC's incident.
For being "diabolical", Umbrella.

Agreed.

Bank said:

Now Doom 3 on the other hand is a different UAC. Betruger clearly was evil. But then again Doom 3 clearly sucked.

I don't even really consider Doom3 a part of the series. It's a spin off that had the odacity to share Doom's name.

It was an ok game in it's own right, but it shouldn't have been called Doom3.

I dunno, I kinda felt that the UAC was more towards simple innocent experimentation that just went wrong. More like something bad happened because they didn't know what they were dealing with. I mean, c'mon, who knew a portal to Hell would open by experimenting with teleportation? Of course, according to Doom 3, subjects were rewarded for being guinea pigs... but it's not like they forced people.

I'd have to go with Umbrella being more evil though.

Bank said:
I mean, UAC had their own private army which they certainly had a reason for having, but they didn't have clear understanding of the shit they'd lodged themselves in to.

To me it seems more like the military was there cooperating with the UAC. Kind of like current Iraq, where you have the military stationed there, and businesses "rebuilding" the place alongside.

But in any case, the UAC didn't mind continuing to mess with sites displaying demonic pentagrams, and seemed to be quite comfortable with having volunteers sent through teleporters that gibbed them.

I'd say the underlying evilness of both companies is implied by association with what inspired them; the Weyland-Yutani Corporation in the Aliens series, which liked to meddle with evidently dangerous and harmful stuff behind people's backs to develop military technology.

Of course, the motives and innocence of the UAC can be questioned if we take the story of Final Doom into consideration, especially the "Plutonia Experiment".

There, despite bringing near-total destruction and suffering upon mankind, with all the trustees and stockholders dead (right down to the janitors anyway), they STILL decide to continue on, regardless of the terror from which they just narrowly survived.

This is kind of strange thing to bring up. Anyway, both were corporations working towards the greater good, with a few bad apples that had to ruin it for everybody. In terms of scale, Umbrella was involved in destorying a couple small towns, an arctic base, and some villages, whereas UAC almost resulted in wiping Earth and two moons out. So, from that perspective, UAC FTW.

BoldEnglishman said:

Of course, the motives and innocence of the UAC can be questioned if we take the story of Final Doom into consideration, especially the "Plutonia Experiment".

There, despite bringing near-total destruction and suffering upon mankind, with all the trustees and stockholders dead (right down to the janitors anyway), they STILL decide to continue on, regardless of the terror from which they just narrowly survived.

Exactly,I'd undestand if it was "Whoops,our bad." and look for an alternative to the teleporter dilemma,obviously the alterative's didn't work eiter(Slipgates;yeah I do believe quake is connected to the doom universe)

Enjay said:

I was expecting MicroSoft from someone. :)

Me too, and I was hoping to be given a chance to defend it (is that enrrish much?).

What Inferno said is just about right.
Umbrella tried to evolve the zombies, research them and learn from them.
UAC tried to eliminate the demon threat. At least in classic doom stories, in Doom 3 it was Betruger who was evil, and the rest of the UAC was "left in the dark".

Haloless0320 said:

(Slipgates;yeah I do believe quake is connected to the doom universe)

It seems more like it's our universe, which is connected to all other evil and sinister universes...

Enjay said:

I was expecting MicroSoft from someone. :)

Why should they? We all know Microsoft is a model corporate citizen who would never employ underhand tactics to maintain their market dominance.
And pigs might fly! ;-)

Getting back on topic - In TNT:Evilution the UAC continues researching interdimensional gates despite the near-annihilation of humanity. With a business model that lacks a moral compass I would consider the UAC to be the greater threat. On the other hand - Umbrella are manifestly evil.

Well wasn't the whole concept behind the slipgates in Quake, that you could travel between dimensions? So effectively, Quake could be considered to be anywhere.

ellmo said:
UAC tried to eliminate the demon threat.

As I see it, they just squealed for help when hell broke loose. It was self-preservation in the face of a terminal threat.

Its tough how to classify UAC(excluding Doom 3) since the game manuel does not go very much in depth with their intentions. If there was more discription during gameplay (such as the text cutscreens) we would probably find out if UAC had bad intentions or was just plain stupid, especially during the time of Final Doom as GreyGhost stated.

In the RE games, the storyline gets detailed on Umbrella's plans, so theres no question about that.

I know it's not listed, but Disney.

But between UAC and Umbrella, I would probably go with UAC simply because they almost destroyed the Earth, not only once, but a few times. Umbrella was doing pretty evil things, but the result wasn't as apocalyptic.

He's not asking who did the most damage, though. He's asking who's the more diabolical. Which is kind of a stupid question if you take more than two seconds to think about it.

The UAC was just trying to create a new form of transportation, whereas umbrella was trying to create genetically engineered weapons.

Unless you're talking about Doom 3. If I remember correctly, the UAC had already known about these demons and were even bringing back samples of various things found in the alternative dimension.

Yeah, but only one of their employees was up to no good. The rest just wanted to study crap.

Besides, Doom 3 is basically a spinoff, if anything. Half-Life with Quake monsters.

BoldEnglishman said:

Well wasn't the whole concept behind the slipgates in Quake, that you could travel between dimensions? So effectively, Quake could be considered to be anywhere.

Someone on here told me a while back that Quake occured after the whole doom event played out.That after earth had clawed its way back up the food chain that it went through a technological Dark age,and thats when they created the slipgates.Trying to piece string together the events of Doom and quake is like people trying to say the Marathon games occured many centuries after Halo.

Haloless0320 said:

Someone on here told me a while back that Quake occured after the whole doom event played out.That after earth had clawed its way back up the food chain that it went through a technological Dark age,and thats when they created the slipgates.Trying to piece string together the events of Doom and quake is like people trying to say the Marathon games occured many centuries after Halo.

Actually, there is some proof of the latter.

Umbrella is really a dumb name. Maybe it's playing on the disconnect between "we're an evil sociopathic corporation bent on mutating innocent townsfolk into a bunch of brainwashed zombie soldiers -- though for now, we just get brain-eating zombies" and "our logo is a cute white and red umbrella, teehee"...

UAC is at least as evil, right from the Doom shareware manual text file.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanity-babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely death of full body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job.

That's some "they're just fumbling in the dark but aren't really evil" down there, folks...

The UNATCO is not a corporation, you'd want to look at VersaLife and the other commercial puppets of MJ-12 instead.

Halliburton, Microsoft or Disney are interesting choices, but I'd nominate Scientology as the most evil real-world corporation. No, it's not a religion, it's more like a mafia.

Halliburton, Microsoft or Disney are interesting choices, but I'd nominate Scientology as the most evil real-world corporation. No, it's not a religion, it's more like a mafia. [/B]

Playing with fire there, buddy. There's a lot of controversy behind Scientology being a cult rather than a religion, and I don't think they take too lightly to that, but yeah, I would nominate L. Ron Hubbard for a Darwin given the opportunity.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

Actually, there is some proof of the latter.

Yeah I saw that.One of the shoulderpad Emblems is the symbol of the Durandal from Marathon 2.

Haloless0320 said:

I've always wondered...who is the more diabolic corperation,UAC or Umbrella?
I can't really answer it,Umbrella played with genetics and life itself.In doing so they brought about the end of the world.But UAC dabbled in the more supernatural forces and brought about the near extinction of the Human race.
Whats the opinion of you guys?

My opinion, Umbrella is more evil. Umbrella was creating bio-weaponry, which they knew to be dangerous. UAC was doing research on a seemingly benigne field and stumbled apon evil.