Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jon

Freedoom 0.6 is out (was -rc2 (was rc1))

Hello,

Last night I tagged the current state of trunk "0.6-rc1", or, the first release candidate for 0.6. The main IWAD and freedm IWAD are available at http://alcopop.org/temp/freedoom-0.6-rc1/.

I did this because someone was planning to burn a big pile of CDs with free software games on them.

The intention for 0.6 is for it to be a "maintenance release", fixing some of the issues with 0.5 but not necessarily containing a huge number of differences. I plan to sort out the TEXTURE1 issue in addition to what's different already.

Give it a spin and post in this thread any burning issues you think should be resolved as part of the 0.6 release.

Ajapted said:

One issue: the FreeDM iwad doesn't have the rocket explosion sound.

That's because the rocket explosion, like all of Enjay's (father's) other sounds, were suspiciously non-Free because they were hollywood audio recordings

leileilol said:

That's because the rocket explosion, like all of Enjay's (father's) other sounds, were suspiciously non-Free because they were hollywood audio recordings

Then it should be removed from the freedoom IWAD too.

Ajapted said:

Then it should be removed from the freedoom IWAD too.

They aren't in the freedoom iwad either. Are you comparing with an older version?

leileilol said:

They aren't in the freedoom iwad either. Are you comparing with an older version?

Oops, accidentally checked 0.5 instead of 0.6-rc1. You are right it's gone in 0.6-rc1.

Definite improvement over 0.5. The new maps are a nice touch, and I like the new health pack/bonus sprites. The monster/freedoom guy sprites could use some work still, though. Some of the sounds are still not that great, but nice regardless.

My 5 cent:

First post. I know it´s annoying, but it has to be said.

I´ve played the 0.6-rc1 on pr- and glboom and it looks and works pretty good.

Noted that some soumds are missing. The beforementioned rocket-explotion and also the elephant shriek, uttered by that big white scull-faced thing. But overall sound quality seems improved in this.

Some weird graphics flaw are still present though; a mirror like wall-section appear in 2 levels so far.

Good work on the new levels and the re-arrangement of them.

---------------------------------------
trailing off the thread subject warning
---------------------------------------

So far. I´m presently stuck in a room at level 10. With a wall section with that distorting mirror-thing, a flight of stairs leading nowhere-up, a door that won´t open and an entrance one can´t exit, since marines never bows his head it seems...HELP!!!

Initial XP:

The game FreeDooM in general is too hard to my taste though. Too hard for an inexperienced DooMer as myself. I thought i was capaple of ultra-violent behaviour, as in DooM, but dishonorably discharged twice, and has to "Hey, not too tough" to even progress beyond the first few levels without fequent jumps back to previous savestates.

Ammo, heal, armour and weapons are (dangerously) few and far between, beyond the first two "I´m a whimp" - levels of difficulty.

Secret chambers and doors are hard to spot, and too much mmph-mmphing can happen.

Leaving on a positive note. Thanks for the effort to the Creators. I´m really entertained. And it´s free.

That someone giving out CDs was me. We made 48 mini CDs with odamex and freedoom on them and they ended up all being given out. So 48 people who didn't know about it before know now!

EDIT: Actually 47, one of those discs went to Ubik.

DooMikE said:

So far. I´m presently stuck in a room at level 10. With a wall section with that distorting mirror-thing, a flight of stairs leading nowhere-up, a door that won´t open and an entrance one can´t exit, since marines never bows his head it seems...HELP!!!

Looks like that map isn't actually finished yet. Does it have an exit linedef at all?

DooMikE said:

Initial XP:

The game FreeDooM in general is too hard to my taste though. Too hard for an inexperienced DooMer as myself. I thought i was capaple of ultra-violent behaviour, as in DooM, but dishonorably discharged twice, and has to "Hey, not too tough" to even progress beyond the first few levels without fequent jumps back to previous savestates.

Ammo, heal, armour and weapons are (dangerously) few and far between, beyond the first two "I´m a whimp" - levels of difficulty.

Secret chambers and doors are hard to spot, and too much mmph-mmphing can happen.

There's no "quality assurance", and until all maps are finished and at their final spot, any from-start-to-end-playtesting would be a waste of time I'm afraid.

-Didn´t register to make just one post!

An Exit Linedef?

Boris, you´ve been drinking that vodka again? You could´ve written that in kyrillic, and i still wouldn´t know what you talk about! :o)
Sorry, but my knowledge of programming or the language of it is very limited.

The limited access of levels...could it be because i only have the DooM shareware release installed on my pc?

There's no "quality assurance", and until all maps are finished and at their final spot, any from-start-to-end-playtesting would be a waste of time I'm afraid.

Heh. Guess i´m wasting my time then!

I re-discovered DooM via the shareware teaser, struggled to find "The Classic DooM-collection", but found it, ordered it and am at present ... waiting, allmost abnormally impatient ... for the game.

Just killing time till i get my game!

I´ve only just discovered FreeDooM, and these different "engines" to play these doom.wads on, a week or so ago. Found this forum, and clearly warned everybody i only had 5 cents worth! Heh..

Great software guys...keep up the good work!

muffins.exe said:

If you still need the sounds, I've got a rocket launcher sample and an explosion sample on Freesound. All 100% original content, too ;)

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47251
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=47252

It's CC, but that shouldn't be a problem -- it's compatible with Freedoom's current license :)

Thanks for the links, but they're free only for non-commercial purposes, so we can't use them.

Is there any way I can override that? I could remove them from Freesound if need be.

I made the sounds just because the silent rocket launcher in Freedoom annoyed me. I just put them on there since I needed to host them somewhere and I have an account at Freesound :)

muffins.exe said:
Is there any way I can override that?

Just say so. Since you created them you can (re)license them however you want...

muffins.exe said:

Is there any way I can override that? I could remove them from Freesound if need be.

I made the sounds just because the silent rocket launcher in Freedoom annoyed me. I just put them on there since I needed to host them somewhere and I have an account at Freesound :)

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure from your first post if you were the original author or not. You can release your sounds under as many different licenses as you want, so there's no need to remove it from Freesound. If you could just write something like "I am the original author of these sounds and I release them under the Modified BSD license", then I can add them :-)

fraggle said:

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure from your first post if you were the original author or not. You can release your sounds under as many different licenses as you want, so there's no need to remove it from Freesound. If you could just write something like "I am the original author of these sounds and I release them under the Modified BSD license", then I can add them :-)

I am the original author of these sounds and I release them under the Modified BSD license.

What? :)

Ok folks, updated RC IWADs and a freedoom_textures.wad (zipped) should be appearing in http://alcopop.org/temp/freedoom-0.6-rc2/ .

These use my new TEXTURE1 definitions. These are hand-built without looking at the older ones. They are not identical in some cases, please file bugs (in comments or posts here I guess) if a particular use of a texture is totally screwed.

I haven't updated the text docs in the RCs yet (or trunk)

hawkwind said:

I noticed that the latest "doom2.wad" has gl lumps for maps 1 and 32. They could probably be deleted.

Hmm, the GL nodes thing could use more looking at. I've also noticed that the new MAP01 has GL_E1M1 as the lumpname, so it probably won't even work.

That's nice news but where's 0.6?

Also can you make a short list of notable changes, because i'm going to post moddb.com news about it

also there could be a freedoom contributors moddb group to add and help manage the profile, because moddb listing it as 'developed by leilei' is really inappropriate

leileilol said:

That's nice news but where's 0.6?

Also can you make a short list of notable changes, because i'm going to post moddb.com news about it

also there could be a freedoom contributors moddb group to add and help manage the profile, because moddb listing it as 'developed by leilei' is really inappropriate

I've just updated freedoom.sf.net with a summary and links. In short,

* new TEXTURE1
* a few sound changes
* some levels updated
* several doom1 maps in doom2 IWAD

Re: moddb; I've never used that, I'll take a look into it. Cheers!

Jon said:

Hmm, the GL nodes thing could use more looking at. I've also noticed that the new MAP01 has GL_E1M1 as the lumpname, so it probably won't even work.

Yes, for Risen3D, if the user rebuilds the normal and gl nodes, the wad is unplayable because of this. They do need to be removed from the wad.

hawkwind said:

Yes, for Risen3D, if the user rebuilds the normal and gl nodes, the wad is unplayable because of this. They do need to be removed from the wad.

I'm pretty sure I did this. If there is still an issue with GL nodes in 0.6.1, please start a new thread.