Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dusty

Any co-op games since Doom2???

I test almost every FPS that comes out. I haven't found another co-op FPS game like Doom 1 and 2...EVER! Its been 15 years since Doom came out and no one makes a FPS where 2 or 3 or 4 guys can clean out rooms of bad guys together at one time?!?!

Am I missing a game that has a TRUE co-op mode since Doom 2?

Cheers,

Dusty

There's been plenty, mostly on console though. Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, System shock 2 Serious Sam, Painkiller, Halo, TimeSplitters, not to mention co-op mods for Half-life, Far Cry, and Doom 3. I'm sure there are plenty of others but I don't really look for it.

I should have limited my question to mean on the computer. I don't do FPS on console, hate the controls. Gotta have a mouse lol.

Any computer games with a true co-op mode?

There is a patch for System Shock 2 that allows coop, and I must really stress, it's probably the most fun coop experience there is! Problem is, you have to share the whole game's items with the number of players present, but usually as long as players choose different branches of skills to spend their upgrade modules with, things work out pretty well.

Also, another nice game for cooperative: Quake. (Edit: Someone beat me to it.)

Serious Sam for computer. I just started playing Second Encounter again recently, and I'd certainly be willing to play it on coop with someone.

EarthQuake said:

There is a patch for System Shock 2 that allows coop, and I must really stress, it's probably the most fun coop experience there is! Problem is, you have to share the whole game's items with the number of players present, but usually as long as players choose different branches of skills to spend their upgrade modules with, things work out pretty well.

Also, another nice game for cooperative: Quake. (Edit: Someone beat me to it.)

I've never played SS2. Can you link me to the patch for it to play co-op?

Thanks,

Dusty

Jim Rainer said:

Halo 3 has a co-op mode for up to 4 players, and it can even be played online.

But thats a console game. Hes looking for PC games. I haven't tryed yet but Halo:CE or Halo2 for vista may have online co-op. The xbox versions don't have online coop (apart from halo3)

Mike.Reiner said:

Yeah shock2 has coop from the get go. No mods needed.

No, it was added in an official patch after the initial release.

Dr. Zin said:

No, it was added in an official patch after the initial release.

The first form of Shock2 I ever saw must have been up to date already then, because it had coop. Point remains, it doesn't require a mod.

Edward850 said:

But thats a console game. Hes looking for PC games. I haven't tryed yet but Halo:CE or Halo2 for vista may have online co-op. The xbox versions don't have online coop (apart from halo3)

No, the Halo:CE and Halo2 vista do not have co-op support.

Doom's co-op wasn't all that great. If you're looking for the greatest co-op experience, play the original Contra. Of course, that isn't an FPS, but it's still something.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

Doom's co-op wasn't all that great. If you're looking for the greatest co-op experience, play the original Contra. Of course, that isn't an FPS, but it's still something.

Ahhh yes, contra. If you can find somebody who wont get bored and frustrated with it, it's a great experience.

Though I gotta disagree on Doom's co-op, I absolutely love to play doom in co-op. I still do regularly.

Mike.Reiner said:

The first form of Shock2 I ever saw must have been up to date already then, because it had coop. Point remains, it doesn't require a mod.

The initial release of System Shock 2 (read: ALL PRINTED CDS OF SYSTEM SHOCK 2) do not feature coop play out of the box.

If your system shock 2 already had coop out of the box and it's the first form of it you've ever seen, then enjoy your buggy stupid ass "abandonware" you warez monkey.

I'm trying out the LMS Doom3 co-op mod tonight.

I've found a copy of System Shock 2 on Ebay so we'll see how that goes.

I may try Halo 3 on the computer as well, I've heard its a great game but was not aware it had a true co-op mode so that's even better!

Thanks everyone,

Dusty

BJ Blazkowicz said:

Doom's co-op wasn't all that great.

Are you referring to the actual implementation of co-op in the engine, or do you mean that the original maps didn't play very well in co-op? I thought both aspects were done pretty well, though I admit I haven't played co-op in a while.

i have yet to play doom co-op. i've been wanting to for years and years.
nobody to play with.
i think i'm gonna force my roommate to get into doom. the bastard.

Dusty said:

I may try Halo 3 on the computer as well, I've heard its a great game but was not aware it had a true co-op mode so that's even better!

Its not out on PC yet. Normally the waiting time for the PC versions of halo is 1.5 years. So I would say you have about 1 year left to wait for halo3 on PC. Else-wise, if you have an xbox(360), halo(2)(3) has great 2 player split-screen coop (With halo3 also having 4 player coop over systemlink/xboxlive).

Edward850 said:

Oh, I didn't know he was looking for pc games, as he didn't specify that in the first post.

Jim Rainer said:

Oh, I didn't know he was looking for pc games, as he didn't specify that in the first post.

See post #3. :)

Mike.Reiner said:

Electronic Arts can suck my dick before I give them anymore money.

I heard they can do some amazing things with their tongue, so it should be well worth your money.