Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mithral_Demon

OpenGL ... (ZDoom)

I know my computer can support OpenGL, but after a reboot, OpenGL wouldn't work, what specifications are needed if I want OpenGL, I usually play on Window and not fullscreen.

ZDoom doesn't Use OpenGL. It uses DirectX Extensions, Notably Direct3D.

What you need to do is reinstall your video drivers, ASAP. I assume you have WINXP so use the convenient Update driver-reinstall driver function. ( I believe it has one.) If that doesn't work, then find the make and model of your video card and go driver hunting.

If you want your OPENGL back, that's pretty much the only way to do it.

Now, as specs, Anything from 2004 on has at least OPENGL 1.3 support. anything below that will be 1.2, or 1.0, or minigl, but that was the late 90s and was another deal entirely. Even my old RAGE FURY MAXX can run OPENGL 1.3 extensions (somewhat).

jval said:

Try GZDoom.

Thats the same with ANYTHING with OpenGL, I need to know how to get it to work, I've been wanting OpenGL back so I don't have to have "Lost Soul Hide And Seek" problems..

Hardware as in my computer?

Windows XP
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Graphics

If you need more info of my comp, kinda roll me through the process, I haven't exactly been on my comp as much to find all the info.

Have you installed a proper graphics driver? If you just use the one Windows uses by default GL will most likely not work.

Mithral_Demon said:

It's what the Windows XP Home Edition came with, and it worked the first time... So what could be the problem?

Quite possibly just that. The basic windows drivers hardly unlock any of the functionality of your card. Pop along to the NVidia site and grab the latest drivers. It's far too big a download (about 40MB) because they bundle all the drivers together in one easy package (ie, easy for them - I only need one driver) but once you have it, it is easy to install and if you are just running with out-of-the-box XP drivers, this will make a big difference.

the first one cleanly uninstalls your old drivers and the second one delivers new official drivers from nvidia

Mithral_Demon said:

What do these do, Nux? Hopefully something non-spyware/adware like.

heh I never had a use for all these "driver" programs, especially downloadable "Pro" ones.

Apperantly that did nothing but slow my scroll speed down... Any better options? :S

Tried SkullTag (First port I used to use OpenGl), no OpenGl, There something that seems to be missin?

Nuxius said:

Since you're having problems with the drivers you have now, I'd recommend using Driver Cleaner Pro before installing new ones.

Mithral_Demon, don't bother installing this; you have the WINXP stock drivers installed, not Nvidia's drivers. so this program would be useless and may destroy your system- or do nothing. I'd say the latter, and risk of the former happening is enough for you to not touch it.

Now I know one thing...

NEVER get things from Nux if it is not Doom related. ._.

Scroll speed is back to normal, but hell, I'll give up on the OpenGl... Only if I knew what the problem was...

Low end? Less than $50. The GF4 MX is a very, very weak card and doesn't even support all the features GZDoom needs to run properly.

I guess I'll have to wait for my dad to get back to a "good balance" so he can spend with out much hell. I have about... Erm.. 95$-120$ in allowance. o-o

So, about how much is a better g-card anyway? For Black and White 2 and OpenGl based ports like GZDoom? What is a good one at a good price also?

LOL at this thread.

Why don't some of you actually try using Google to research something before you start making baseless accusations against a program someone recommends? A quick search of actual technology sites and forums will show you that this is a frequently recommended program. Hell, there's a whole discussion on how useful they are over at Anandtech (with plenty of people from both sides of the issue). Driver Cleaner has been around for a while. If it had spyware, or screwed up peoples systems, it would have been known by now.

Mithral Demon, I was (read: was) going to help you get GZDoom working, since I actually have it running on a old HTPC project system with a GeForce 4 MX 440, but you can forget it now, especially with your attitude. Have fun trying to get it to work, though. :)

EDIT:I also find it amusing how some people are so quick to shoot down others ideas, yet have no helpful information of their own to replace/add to the topic at hand. Hilarious. :p

Eh, sorry of that Nux, just it kinda crapped my comp for 2 days until I tried it once more but then my comp froze and after turning back on after freeze things were fine at most... I was eager to gain your help, I just think if I need to use the program, I might want a better card or so for that, incase it happens to need it.

I know the opengl can work, but I think I had an early update, but not sure which it was... I need to know cause having it before made things "slightly" better looking instead of having plain and boring (except for the more laggy situations.) You left me interested again, I feel lazy for another card anyway.

-Edit-
FYI Nux, for the screenshot, do /bind / +screenshot , makes things easier on taking fullscreens.

Nuxius said:

LOL at this thread.

Moar liek LOL at said "program". If you honestly think that files that aren't deleted completely when you update drivers will affect your video card's performance, you obviously have no idea how a computer driver works. What files that aren't deleted probably won't be used by the updated driver and are useless. They won't hamper performance if they're not being used.

If this program really finds and deletes files "left behind" by an uninstaller, it shows that the driver's uninstaller is sloppy and incomplete. And if there are companies that have drivers like that, how about writing them a nice letter or an e-mail about it than buying "driver cleaner pro" or "driver sweeper" of any of that garbage?