Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chungy

I Am Legend would make a better Doom movie than the Doom movie.

Danarchy said:

Ultimate Doom movie = Event Horizon.

Where you're going, you won't need eyes to see!

My 2 favorite movies!!! DooM and Event Horizon.
Could not have said it better myself!

I have always thought that Screamers was more like Doom. Dead planet, sci-fi squadron, many drones / droids that had a human form. Sure the underground screamers were nothing like Doom, but as a whole the movie just felt Doom-ish to me.

Event Horizon was indeed great! But to me it felt more like a true Hellraiser movie before they got lame only with better technology.

geo said:

I have always thought that Screamers was more like Doom.

I need to see that now that I've read the story it was based on. Very depressing, like most of Philip K. Dick's works. I'd also like to see Minority Report and to see Total Recall again.

The discussion about this movie's similarities to 28 Days Later reminds me of that bloke who said the LOTR films were a rip-off of the Star Wars trilogy.

I don't know much about it, as it was told to me today by a colleague, but apparently, 'I Am Legend' was a comic book, 28 days later was based on that comic book and now the movie bears the same name.

I Am Legend is a sci-fi novel published in 1954 by Richard Matheson, so in my mind that lays any seniority arguments to rest :P

At any rate, it's a great read involving mostly the protagonists mental condition and depression\mania from his isolated life. I won't spoil the ending of the novel, but I'll say that it's not something that would work very well on screen - hollywood likes happy endings.

Event Horizon is a damn awesome movie - anything Neill touches is gold. He's highly effective at going from calm and collected to batshit insane at the drop of a hat. He plays both mental states expertly.

Total Recall is a favorite of mine as well, though not much in the way of Doomy stuff. Piers Anthony wrote that, and I also suggest picking that up. It goes into a bit more depth than the movie. Heh, I saw the movie first of course, so I couldn't get the "I HAVE TO GET TO MAHS" accent out of my head. Sigh.

Jehar said:

Total Recall is a favorite of mine as well, though not much in the way of Doomy stuff. Piers Anthony wrote that, and I also suggest picking that up. It goes into a bit more depth than the movie. Heh, I saw the movie first of course, so I couldn't get the "I HAVE TO GET TO MAHS" accent out of my head. Sigh.

Huh? Piers Anthony? Total Recall was based off the short story "We'll Remember It For You Wholesale" by Philip K. Dick. It's a pretty good story with a fairly amusing ending that is quite different from the movie. Definitely one of his more upbeat stories.

I stand corrected - Anthony did the novelization of the movie. At any rate, he's a damn good writer (Xanth ftw).

Saw the movie today, it was better than what I had expected but still nothing I'd watch for a second time.

NiGHTMARE said:

The discussion about this movie's similarities to 28 Days Later reminds me of that bloke who said the LOTR films were a rip-off of the Star Wars trilogy.

For my screen writing final project we had to write a screenplay based on a pre existing movie, television show or book. I wrote one based on the Mortal Kombat franchise.

My professor told me that it seemed like I rewrote Star Wars. Shao Kahn as Darth Vader, Liu Kang as Luke Skywalker, Princess Kitana as Princess Laya, Cyrax as C3PO.