Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

How do you play DOOM?

So, I'm curious, what version of DOOM do you guys use to play the game nowadays?

I use DOOM 95, but that's because it retains the classic "feel" of the game -- I've never been keen on modern source ports.

ZDoom or Chocolate Doom, here. Also the original EXE if I have a working DOS installation. Never been a fan of Doom 95.

Why don't you like DOOM 95? If you play at 320x200 or 320x240 it's just like playing the original DOS EXE, right?

I usually stick with GZDoom or Skulltag, and occasionally Legacy. I never really minded Doom95; actually, there is one thing I like about it compared to most source ports:

From the Doom Wiki:
While not necessarily a bug, the sound effects are played back at a slightly lower pitch than in regular Doom played under DOS.

I always thought the lower sound pitch helped make the Doom games feel a little more intimidating, as far as atmosphere is concerned.

Almost exclusively Zdoom, although one of the first ones I liked was Legacy, although I barely touch it now.

GZDoom, Skulltag, Vanilla Doom (using DosBox). Legacy for having students test maps at school (though I'll find a better alternative next semester).

Intel17 said:

I use DOOM 95, but that's because it retains the classic "feel" of the game -- I've never been keen on modern source ports.

Good god, man! Get Chocolate Doom; Doom 95 is just abysmal. Okay, so Doom 95 may not be as bad as people usually make it out to be, but Chocolate Doom is even closer to the DOS executables than Doom 95 is anyway, so it should be the priority if you're looking for purity.

For me, I use:
1. Chocolate Doom - for playing all vanilla-compatible WADs
2. PrBoom - for playing all Boom-compatible WADs
3. ZDoom, GZDoom, EDGE, Eternity, Doomsday, and Legacy for any WADs that require those particular ports
4. ZDaemon or Skulltag for deathmatch
5. Vanilla for recording demos, but I haven't recorded anything in a while now.

Vanilla Doom in DOSBox when I'm playing the IWADs.

ZDoom for ZDoom WADs.

PrBoom for everything else.

PrBoom-plus, ZDoom (GZDoom looks "washed out"), Legacy and Chocolate Doom.
I like Doom95 but it's not 100% happy with my XP Home PC.

EDIT - GZDoom - Texture Filter Mode -> None - thanks Reckoner.

What I'm using ---
- Eternity, for Boom wads (it's all superior to Boom, by the way, and plays better than PrBoom),
- Doom, Doom2, Doomp, Doom2p, with DOSBox, for any vanilla Doom made-for wad (edit the DOSBox sound settings to the right frequency and also lower the lag),
- Doom95, for the Final Doom wads,
- any other port for its specific wads ONLY (unless the port parented Eternity, where I'll just use Eternity).

For my playstyle, "Doom95 -emulate" works just fine, and it also nicely lowers the sound pitch, making Doom feel better. I won't say Doom95 sucks, even though it has crashed a few times strangely. If anything, Doom95 is buggy, but isn't the worst thing ever.

Most of the time I just use the plain Doom/2 DOS engine (easy for me as I have a computer with Windows 98). Any exceptions lately have mostly been for watching some demos that need specific engines, and using ZDaemon a few times to play private games online.

Hellish Godzilla said:
I always thought the lower sound pitch helped make the Doom games feel a little more intimidating, as far as atmosphere is concerned.

In fact, under DOS the original executable sounds lower pitched, and perhaps the Doom95 coders decided to try to catch that feel. Under Windows, on the other hand, the DOS engine sounds more like the released source based ports and engines. All this using a Sound Blaster.

When I read the thread title, I was certain it was spam :P

It's usually zDoom at 640x400. I don't freelook.

GZdoom or Zdoom most of the time. I don't care about slight changes in gameplay. In fact I like them and love the enhancements those ports bring. I have no particular need to cling to engine bugs that some people feel are essential parts of Doom gameplay. So I'll happily leave Vanilla and Vanilla emulators sitting untouched in a dusty corner of my HD.

And quite how anyone can hate their eyes enough to force them to look at 320x200 these days I have no idea. ;)

Enjay said:
And quite how anyone can hate their eyes enough to force them to look at 320x200 these days I have no idea. ;)

Personally, I've tried using engines at higher resolutions (from 640x400 to 1024x768) but immediately thought "argh, this is so crisp", and then when going back to Doom "wow, this is starting to feel pixelly". And, since Doom only runs at 320x200, the best solution to that jarring inconsistency was using the standard resolution, since most engines support it anyway*.

* That reminds my that an otherwise promising engine, Odamex, is failing it by not having 16:10 ratio resolutions (and so the fonts look all wrong in it). Maybe that's just for starters, and they'll fix that oversight when it gets more robust...

Choc-Doom or Vanilla with Dos.
Doom at anything more than 320x200 looks slightly depressing - so empty.

GreyGhost said:

GZDoom looks "washed out"

You do realize that you can disable the texture filtering, right? Without the filtering it looks, for the most part, just like ZDoom.

You can find the option in:
Display Options -> OpenGL Options -> Texture Filter Mode -> None

Enjay said:
GZdoom or Zdoom most of the time. I don't care about slight changes in gameplay. In fact I like them and love the enhancements those ports bring. I have no particular need to cling to engine bugs that some people feel are essential parts of Doom gameplay. So I'll happily leave Vanilla and Vanilla emulators sitting untouched in a dusty corner of my HD.

* Captain red hi-fives Enjay.

Do you actually play doom through Doom 3? Or do you watch a demo of it in game play? How many levels? Skill difficulties? Options? I laughed when I saw that the acid trail on the zigzag room.