Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I was playing some really boring games the other day and was wondering if anyone out there has thought about using Doom as a crazy huge online game? The maps would be easy to compile with todays machines, and think of the huge wars that could take place.

The best part would have to be that it isn't crappy RPG turn based combat, but full blown Doom. On a massive scale. Think of a party raid on a den of Cyber Demons?

Anyway, if you love this idea, hate this idea, or know of someone who already thought of it and started, let me know.

I have an animation, and level design back ground, if that means anything to any coders out there.

Anyone know how to change my user name btw?
I registered this account years ago when I was young by the looks of things.

Fetus_Fucker said:

So to say, you have since given up your past habit of fetus-fucking?

Not necessarily; perhaps he only wishes to keep his fetus-related exploits out of the public eye in order to maintain a more professional image.

Fetus_Fucker, won't you please think of the children :(

edit:

Think of a party raid on a den of Cyber Demons?

panty raid

hardy har har...

Never did I fuck fetusii, only eat their delicious young brains.

It was in a fit of blood lust that I made this name, not thinking correctly.

Anyone wanna comment on the other part of the post, perhaps the concept of a Massive Multiplayer Online Doom mod?

Forget the raid on the Cyber Demon den, how about the two sides are playable, the UAC and Hell.

Don't take this the wrong way, but are you actually planning this as a serious project? If so, do you have any idea how much time, experience, and money is required to develop and maintain an MMO game? Coding a basic source port doesn't even come close to the amount of effort involved. I doubt that this actually has a chance of going anywhere, but you could try something a little less ambitious (maybe just standard multiplayer games with more players and larger maps?).

With that said, it does sound like it would be fun.

Sounds like Toke coop or one of the other coop wads running on ZDaemon servers, only with more lag.

Yeah I started thinking about technical stuff. If you just run the basic simple Doom engine it would have potential, I.E. sprits with no weapon or armour changes.

Anyone know of a massive multiplayer online FPS? Anarchy Online is pretty cool, but it is turn based.

And Planet Side wants a credit card.

I figured I would make my own.

The advantage of (and also the reason for) most massive multiplayer online games being turn-based, is that a good ping-time isn't necessary. What you're proposing sounds very interesting, but as Jodwin already pointed out, the lag would be unbelievable.

As much I'd say go with it, but yeah... from what Jodwin said, Lag = Biggest issue, if you run this, better pull out a big ass computer, cause you'll attract more then Doom'ers.

Actually I remember seeing threads for similar ideas a couple of times. Obviously with great success...

I don't Doom is a very good candidate for this. Sure, it doesn't take very much CPU power to power the engine, but the fact that the Doom player runs at 80mph will always cause problems with lag. Unless you are playing on a LAN it would get ugly real quick.

Jodwin said:

Sounds like Toke coop or one of the other coop wads running on ZDaemon servers, only with more lag.

Speaking of which, does anyone still have that huge-ass map by Toke?

Fetus_Fucker said:

What do you want?

President of 'A' country said:

Anarchy Online is pretty cool

Server/Name/Faction?

Also, if you were to shard things (have a player limit per area, spawn new areas once the limit is reached), you might be able to help combat latency. But then again, sounds a bit complexified, if I do say so myself.

A project such as this requires:

• Several pretty friggin' amazingly powerful servers (have players choose between servers to thin things out a little)
  • Huge, impressive looking areas (to stand the test of time)
  • Information to the player is sent only from a part of the area he/she is in
  • Quests (gotta have quests) and items
  • Heavy weaponry difficult to acquire, same goes for ammo of such weapons
  • A vast choice of good-looking skins (if players wish to use their own skins, moderation is required, which will be a near impossible task if many players sign up daily, though it could be uploaded and added to the skin choices weekly, or per fortnight)
  • A huge team of moderators, mappers, etc
  • A GUI outside of the game which contains contact lists, messages, inventory, etc. You don't want all that mess clogging up your screen in a game based on DooM.

scorpion said:

A project such as this requires...

You are hard MMORPG player for sure. Things you wrote are typical for most MMORPG. But project as DooM online would need different approach.
Large maps with stunning enviroment suck in MMORPG and would suck in DooM even more. My suggestion - many smaller maps connected into a giant HUB. Really giant, gargantuan non linear Hub with hundreds of maps each large as average DooM level. Each map with two or three exits leading to different levels. Deeper you go, harder levels avaits. There should be also some Checkpoints. You would be able to progress just like in normal DooM except you can meet other players and if you dont know how to continue you can go back and try another route.
No Quests, it isnt RPG, its FPS. Instead of Quest you have maps with their scripted events, key and switch hunts and boss battles. You can have some journal with maps you already completed, how many bosses you killed, how many times you died etc.
Heavy weaponry difficult to acquire... no, why? Only classical DooM weapons. Ok, maybe some new ones, like granade launcher, autoshotgun, railgun etc, but nothing extreme or unique - its not WoW - no item hunting, its dissease of MMORPGs.
About skins - just like in Skulltag or ZDeamon - you can use any skin, but you cant be sure if others have it too.

If this was done in a way like NeoWorm suggested, as a large hub of separate maps, maybe some parts of Legacy 2.0's netcode could be used. (Yes, it's still in development and not dead, apparently) I know one of its features is the ability to have different players in different maps at the same time during a netgame, for use with Hexen and other wads that use hubs.

NeoWorm said:

You are hard MMORPG player for sure.

Actually, not at all. I don't even like them all that much. The only one I've tried for more than 10 minutes is Flyff (Fly For Fun), because it's free and not so crappy-looking.

NeoWorm said:

Large maps with stunning enviroment suck in MMORPG and would suck in DooM even more.

I don't mean like a huge open area. I mean a part of the 'world' where it's *not* just to shoot people. If you want to make a massive multiplayer online game, I would think it needs some sort of point system to move forward and have your character develop in. Otherwise you can just join any DM or coop game on any server anywhere for the same effect.

NeoWorm said:

No Quests, it isnt RPG, its FPS. Instead of Quest you have maps with their scripted events, key and switch hunts and boss battles. You can have some journal with maps you already completed, how many bosses you killed, how many times you died etc.

I guess I don't know much about MMO games, but it just sounds like a coop game to me, saving scoring onto the server. But a giant hub would be a nice idea, even though the chances are big that, with many people online, people may lose track of what they're doing, when another player in another map already uses or executes whatever it was you just activated.

NeoWorm said:

Heavy weaponry difficult to acquire... no, why? Only classical DooM weapons. Ok, maybe some new ones, like granade launcher, autoshotgun, railgun etc, but nothing extreme or unique - its not WoW - no item hunting, its dissease of MMORPGs.

I assume you mean that anyone can join with any new player, no character and no development of such a character? Because, in case of a new player hunting for monsters and finding out players who've been there a bit longer and have the heaviest weaponry with ammo lying around anywhere, wouldn't get a single shot in.

NeoWorm said:

About skins - just like in Skulltag or ZDeamon - you can use any skin, but you cant be sure if others have it too.

My point exactly, but some more choices, that was my point. ;-)

It may be clear that I've never played an MMOFPS game, and it definitely sounds like a good idea, although I still feel that, per map, only limited info should be sent to the client, otherwise the lag will make players just want to bail out.

For the new user name I would want is: Laerrus

As for the rest, it is good to see constructive commentary going on.

The quests could just be called missions. Something simple.

As for weapons, there of course would be all the base Doom weapons, but definitively a need for a weapon modification system.

It would be cool to have the two sides, UAE and Hell. Or maybe just make it a huge online war against computer controlled NPC Hell.

As long as everything was kept simple it would be much smoother. The Doom engine is perfectly simple, and with the newer engines built for it rather nice Futuristic Earth cities could be built.

According to secret ZDaemon intelligence, a multiple-server MMO-style mod that stores data between servers (via a server-side scripting language) should be possible in the upcoming future. I'm not sure of Skulltag's capabilities, but I'd assume those guys have something up their sleeves.

Laerrus said:

For the new user name I would want is: Laerrus

There, that's more tolerable :P