Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
andrewj

EDGE 1.31 Beta#2 is out

EDGE 1.31-Beta#2 is now available for download and testing. This release updates to SDL 1.2.13 which fixes the sound problem under Vista.

New features include support for 16-bit sounds (WAV and OGG/Vorbis formats), music playback for Linux, and an Invulnerability setting in the video options.

However the main thrust of this release is fixing bugs (such as the messed up screen after changing resolution) and other enhancements (like using MD2 frame names in DDF).

EDGE homepage: http://edge.sourceforge.net

Changes since Beta#1: Change List

I'm having an annoying problem with this version of EDGE. whenever I start it, it pops up a number of dialogues telling me to insert a disk in drive D: If I pick continue or cancel, I get about 9 or 10 of these dialogues before EDGE starts. If I click "Try again" it just keeps trying again.

EDGE is installed in F:\doom\edge131

F: is my primary drive, C: is a secondary drive (don't know why, thats just how the computer saw it when I replaced an old faulty drive and reinstalled XP) Drive D is a DVD drive and E is a CD RW.

Putting a disk in the drive stops the messages. Checking debug.txt EDGE seems to be trying to find timidity files in a few locations, including drive D:

TIMID: checking directory 'D:\'
  trying 'D:\timidity.cfg'
  trying 'D:\Timidity.cfg'
  trying 'D:\TIMIDITY.cfg'
  trying 'D:\TIMIDITY.CFG'
  trying 'D:\crude.cfg'
  trying 'D:\Crude.cfg'
  trying 'D:\CRUDE.cfg'
  trying 'D:\CRUDE.CFG'
  trying 'D:\freepats.cfg'
  trying 'D:\Freepats.cfg'
  trying 'D:\FREEPATS.cfg'
  trying 'D:\FREEPATS.CFG'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\8mbgmpat'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\8MBGMPAT'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\freepats'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\Freepats'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\FREEPATS'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\timidity'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\Timidity'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\TIMIDITY'
TIMID: checking directory 'D:\timidity\patches'
tim_player_c: Cannot find Timidity config file!
I_StartupMusic: Timidity Init FAILED

Thanks for the detailed report.

I guess the hardcoded C: and D: checks for timidity patches should be removed, and just check \ instead.

Today or tomorrow I'll be putting up a new Beta#2 package with a fix for a serious savegame problem, it may as well include the timidity fix too.

Thanks, I'll DL it when you get it online. I'm really enjoying the 1.31 version of EDGE. Far more so than I have previous versions.

Yay! Error messages all gone. :)

Are shadows supposed to still be working? The menu option is still there but I get no shadows when I turn them on.

The fake shadows were disabled while the renderer was reworked. I'm not sure whether they will be enabled (to my eye they never looked very good) or a better method implemented.

Timidity playback is broken on Windows, and probably Linux too for anything except the Ubuntu freepats package. This new code still has some bugs to iron out.

I didn't think the shadows looked that great myself either. I just noticed that they were missing so I thought I'd mention it.

The mus2mid conversion is off, some of the notes sound slightly higher and/or just not correct.

This happens as of 1.31-beta 2

RTC_Marine said:

The mus2mid conversion is off, some of the notes sound slightly higher and/or just not correct.

Windows or Linux? (I'm assuming the former).

It could be a playback issue rather than a conversion issue, e.g. something to do with the pitchwheel. Hmmmm.

Any possibility of changing how the controls are worked? EDGE seems to be unable to differentiate between regular number keys and keys on the numpad.

I'm getting a serious problem with this. Music doesn't play, at all. Regardless of setting the music device to "system", or loading an external wad of music in .ogg format.

Jim, please run EDGE for a short while (enter the first map), then exit and open the EDGE.LOG file with Notepad, copy the text and post it here (or PM it to me), and I'll see if there are any clues there to your problem.

Thanks for the edge.log copy.

It seems that your system either lacks the MIDI software synthesiser that normally comes with Windows (maybe that component was not installed or has been removed), or it is disabled in the control panel somewhere. [Or it's an EDGE issue, though it usually works for everybody].

Not sure what I can suggest, Windows is not my forte (I'm a Linux dude).

Regarding the OGG music, does the EDGE title music play? And which pack did you try?, since it won't work without an EDGE specific playlist in it.

The edge title music only plays when playing regular doom or doom 2, with no mods enabled. My OGG library is something like "oggvorbis-win32sdk-1.0.1" from november 16, 2003(probably outdated, but that's the verson WMP11 pointed me to. I have no clue what my midi software synthesiser is, as Realtek HD audio and/or Vista seems to have hidden the information about it.
EDIT: According to powertracks 12, I have some version of Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and Microsoft Midi Mapper.