Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rebdoomin

The marine's pet bunny.

During the many years of playing doom, a lot of us have always wondered what the story was behind the dead bunny at the end of doom1.
I tried looking it up on doom wiki but it did not tell me very much exept it's name was Daisy. Would any body like to tell me about the rabbit?

I don't think there's much to know other than what you can see at the end of Episode 3 and the end text of Episode 4.

I canno't get my mind off of what could of been with that bunny. I just want to know the story behind the bunny even existing.

I think the bunny was just a small joke at the end of DOOM, you see a nice peaceful scene at the end with a innocent bunny rabbit grazing away, then the scene changes to some kind of demon invasion with a burning building and a busted-up bunny. Perhaps a prelude to the future DOOM II game.

Then when they added episode 4 to make Ultimate DOOM they added a story (pretty lame one imho) where it was now the Marine's pet rabbit and he was gonna get revenge for it.

It's to get you pissed off that the hellspawn could do such a thing to a cute, defenseless creature. Don't look into it any further than that.

So what if Doomguy had a pet rabbit named Daisy? It's nothing to be ashamed of. At least he didn't admit to watching Oprah.

I think it's safe to assume that the folks at id had plans for a sequel to Doom and included the outro at the end of Episode 3 to let us know more was to come.
I don't know why they chose to use a bunny - maybe Adrian or Kevin thought he could put a suitably shocked expression on the severed head's face?

GreyGhost said:
I don't know why they chose to use a bunny - maybe Adrian or Kevin thought he could put a suitably shocked expression on the severed head's face?

I read it was Adrian's idea. He was sick of having done cute artwork for previous games so he took revenge by mutilating the bunny. In DOOM II he completed his revenge by hanging Commander Keen and requiring the Player to shoot him.

HWGuy said:

At least he didn't admit to watching Oprah.

No, but Duke Nukem did, and he still kicks ass.

Yeah, the E4 text about it being his "pet rabbit" was pretty stupid. The whole point at the end of E3 was that the hellspawn had managed to come through the portal to earth, and had killed one of the random rabbits in the field on the way.

fraggle said:

Yeah, the E4 text about it being his "pet rabbit" was pretty stupid. The whole point at the end of E3 was that the hellspawn had managed to come through the portal to earth, and had killed one of the random rabbits in the field on the way.

I concur.

Besides the point...who would want a pet rabbit, anyway?

Even stupider was the ending scene of Episode 4 with the marine, looking like he's trying to squeeze out a fart, holding the rabbit's head. Way to rape a cool ending, guys.

E4 seriously didn't need a story, since in my opinion it's more of a level set than an actual episode. The natural transition was to go straight from E3 to Doom II. I always found that the story for E4 was just an incredibly bad way of making it fit between E3 and Doom II.

I had assumed what most of us had: that the decapitated bunny rabbit really had nothing to do with the marine, since it's really stupid to have him emerge from hell and find his pet rabbit right there.

Splatter said:

Even stupider was the ending scene of Episode 4 with the marine, looking like he's trying to squeeze out a fart, holding the rabbit's head. Way to rape a cool ending, guys.

I thought he was trying not to cry...

Splatter said:

the ending scene of Episode 4 with the marine

On seeing that huge grimace, black bloody clothing instead of green armor, bleeding, different face to Doomguy's statusbar mug, weilding a Shotgun instead of a Plasmagun, and no helmet, I deduced he's not "marine", but a murderous Former Sergeant holding the bunny's head as a killer he is. I dislike thinking that's the Doom hero.

I would also appreciate a map/mod pack with Doomguy with his pet rabbit's ghost helping him at random times. It's angering that the time I saw a rabbit ingame (in GZScoreDoom, browse the forums), it was a meant as a target practice, just like anything else. I had thought you aren't supposed to kill rabbits in Doom, but look how you are so in that GZScoreDoom port.

Well that one is more fat-faced and has cut hair. Statusbar Doomguy wasn't hair cut like that.

Then again, he was drawn crazier in the Doom 2 titlepic, (but ALSO not fat as the E4 one, singleing the posted one above) but kept his face the same as before in that statusbar. They didn't care.

I believe the rabbit's vampiric ghost haunts the game continuously. This hasn't been exploited, except by map making newbs, AS FAR AS I KNOW. It could yet make a fine Doom 3 spoof. By the way, the Doom 3 developpers forgot to include "Daisy" (oof, this name) to the wondrous list of easter eggs (omg jawdropping pun) that blockbuster boasts.

That would be epic.
but since when were you able to use daisy in the making of new doom.wads? I never heard of such a thing. and I had made doom.wads for 3 years and played the doom trilogy for 5 years.

Well, it's not defined, that's why I said map/mod pack; you'd have to make it by drawing its sprites and defining its behaviour via various modding textfiles (Dehacked, EDF, DDF, Decorate). It's not easy, because you have to draw each sprite, and that's not easy, in fact it's tough.

Enjay said:

Aren't there "Daisy" sprites in Skulltag?

Yeah, real cute one, too. No sound changes, though. In a demo here, you can see several running around, chasing each other with invisible chainsaws.

dutch devil said:

Anyone tried to make that building behind the marine yet :p

Which one? take your pick. :p

I'm sure it's supposed to be several skyscrapers but the perspective's screwed up making them look as if they're leaning on eack other for mutual support.

GreyGhost said:

I'm sure it's supposed to be several skyscrapers but the perspective's screwed up making them look as if they're leaning on eack other for mutual support.

You know, that's actually the very first time I noticed that. I always looked at it as a sort-of pyramid-styled structure. Never too old or too late to learn new stuff.

Umm, it's just an illustration of ordinarily-oriented buildings portrayed through some sort of wide-angle or fisheye lens. A similar effect can be seen in this photograph, just to give an example.

GreyGhost said:

Oh sweet, I just now noticed that... Also, I always wondered why the clouds on the left side had a box-like shape to them, orange on red. It makes sense now, it's a skyscraper with a very reflective surface.

The curved perspective is just so that the skyscrapers look taller and yet fit completely in the background. I like the effect.

Its kind of funny you don't see people in panic trying to flee from the city site in EP3/EP4 pics.