Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dutch Doomer

Which bossback pic should I use?

I'm currently busy with some graphics for my megawad and I made two bossback pictures so far.I would like to know your opinion about these one of them will end up in my megawad.

I kinda like the bottom one an bit more though must be the colors :p
[edit]Experimental titlepic heavily inspired by the UDooM titlepic its the third and best titlepic I've created so far I had alot of work with it let me know what you think.

The second looks better for me. The other could be used for the credit screen.

I have always been a huge fan of both the red and the orange sky, so my vote would be for the second one.

I have different plans for the credit screen I'm allready working on one but its not done yet I think I'll finish that one last when I know who to give credit to so I can put their names on it.

My first bossback was this I had this idea of creating an room with an platform where the monsters would stand on so I made an techie looking room in doom builder made an screen of it and edited it some more.

It wasn't something that lived up to my tastes but meh I had to try it out just to see what results I got.The red one will be used looks good enough for an bossback picture the titlepic and interpic are done also almost done with all graphics and I still have 29 maps to build.

[edit]Its the red sky from TNT and its not changed much the colors are still the same.

dutch devil said:

for my megawad

Your---megawad? I didn't know you have a megawad in the works!

I also prefer the second pic. It has an origin (that Baphohead), unlike pic 1.

Hmm, i dunno, but the second picture just looks way too much like the original Doom Titlescreen to me.
Personally I don't even think that a megawad desperately needs a new Titlepic/Intermission screen, whatever, but if you're going to implement smething like this, I'd definitely give my vote to the more original idea, wich would be the first pic for me in this case!

Btw, It's great to see you have a megawad in the works, I'm dfinitely looking forward to it!

Vader said:

Hmm, i dunno, but the second picture just looks way too much like the original Doom Titlescreen to me.
Personally I don't even think that a megawad desperately needs a new Titlepic/Intermission screen, whatever, but if you're going to implement smething like this, I'd definitely give my vote to the more original idea, wich would be the first pic for me in this case!

Btw, It's great to see you have a megawad in the works, I'm dfinitely looking forward to it!

He originally had two bossback images in the first post, of which the second one was chosen. That's now the first picture in there, with the broken gothic bricks and the demon face. So it's not a choice between the two that are there now, I don't think, as the first one is the chosen bossback and the second one is a possible titlepic.

I agree, though, that the titlepic looks too much like the original Doom one.

Also, Dutch Devil, I see a red Baron/Hellknight on the bottom left of the titlepic there...did you dehacked some custom monsters in? :D

My megawad desperatly needs new graphics :p I know it looks too much like the Udoom titlepic I don't think I can do better than this my graphic skills are crap.Maybe if I could remove the monsters and the id logo it would look better.

Dehacked I know nothing about dehacked so no there are no custom monsters but I would like and couple as long as they don't replace the other ones well maybe the ss-nazi can be replaced it sucks anyway.

I could help you out with some Dehacked stuff. The frames from the SS Nazi and the hanging Commander Keen could be used to make a new monster.

Not replacing any of the original monsters (while I completely understand that you would want to do this) does limit your options quite a bit when it comes to Dehacked, though.

Scythe 2 uses the frames from the SS Nazi, Commander Keen, and the Icon of Sin to make two new monsters, the Evil Marine (red doomguy that moves at the player's run speed and shoots arachnotron plasma) and the Afrit (red flying Baron that throws a flurry of mancubus and revenant missiles). I haven't looked at the actual patch, but I'm assuming that the Evil Marine uses the "recolor green pixels to red" color flag, and then just uses the player's frames for its death animation and anything else that can be reused (to conserve frames, since you can't add new ones). You could probably do something similar.

You could also create some semi-new monsters without using any (or only a few) frames, replacing something unused like the Dead Lost Soul (which is invisible):

For example, you could copy the imp's properties into the Dead Lost Soul (or any other thing you're not using; so you could sacrifice one of the hanging dead body types or something if you want another monster), then change some of its flags (you could make a spectre imp, for example), its health, its speed, etc.

The recoloring abilities of Dehacked are limited to what vanilla was able to do for multiplayer (it can turn green into brown, red, or gray. that's it), but there are some ways you can bend this to your will:

Let's assume you still want to make a new variant of the imp, but you don't have enough frames available to just import a new set of sprites. In XWE, you can use color remapping to turn all the shades of brown in the imp to green, then set the Dehacked flag on the imp and dead imp things to recolor that green back to brown. I did this the other day as a test; the resulting imp looked exactly the same as the standard one, but I could then make different colored variants of it using the green-to-red and green-to-gray (or just standard green I guess) flags. The red imps didn't look too great ingame, but you could do something cool with a gray imp maybe. You could give it a different amount of health, different movement speed, etc., and maybe if you had enough frames you could even give it a different attack sequence or something cool like that.

Heh, this post ended up being really long. If I just confused the hell out of you, sorry. :P

edit: the imp recoloring thing could also be used on any other monster that's predominantly green, red, brown, or gray, as long as it doesn't have some green parts that you want to get left alone. (for example, if you tried doing this to the hell knight, the green stuff in its hands would get recolored back to brown as well, or to whatever color you wanted its variant to be.)

I couldn't even get dehacked to work does it work under dos or something and is dehacked the same as whacked2?I like the Afrit though good monster for an extra boss besides the spiderboss and the cyber not sure what I want for the second monster perhaps something less strong and one that can be used in every map.

Dos and Dutch Devil not good friends btw, yes please help me out with the two new monsters so I can put some more names on the credit screen its getting an bit boring to have to write dutch devil behind everything all the time :p

[edit]Attempt 166,867 dunno about this one I just threw an bunch of stuff together.

dutch devil said:

I couldn't even get dehacked to work does it work under dos or something and is dehacked the same as whacked2?

DeHackEd is a DOS program but I've had no trouble with it under Windows XP. WhackEd2 is a Windows version of DeHackEd that also supports BEX.

Edit: That's an excellent titlepic, but I would change the mountains in the background so that they aren't perfectly symmetrical.

So whacked2 does the same thing only its for windows ok sounds good I have whacked2 but never really looked into it dunno where to start with making an new monster.

Ah BEX of course...what is BEX *has the dumbest look on his face right now*

[edit] I'll try to edit it some more if my graphic skills are sufficient enough for that :p

dutch devil said:

My first bossback was this I had this idea of creating an room with an platform where the monsters would stand on so I made an techie looking room in doom builder made an screen of it and edited it some more.

To be honest, I really like this idea. It's far more original and interesting than cut-and-pasting together bits of the title screen and other Doom graphics that we've all seen 1,000 times before.

I dunno don't like the results with that pic its might be worth an shot taking an screen from an hell themed room.

Did you try that picture ingame?

dutch devil said:

So whacked2 does the same thing only its for windows ok sounds good I have whacked2 but never really looked into it dunno where to start with making an new monster.

Ah BEX of course...what is BEX *has the dumbest look on his face right now*

[edit] I'll try to edit it some more if my graphic skills are sufficient enough for that :p

BEX is Boom-Extended dehacked. It works in the same way, but gives you more options and stuff. I haven't used it, but I could probably figure out the extra stuff pretty easily.

dutch devil said:
Attempt 166,867 dunno about this one I just threw an bunch of stuff together.

Not bad, and it fits the theme of the rest of the stuff you've shown for the wad. Looks better than the one with the Doomguy above, anyway.

I dunno don't like the results with that pic its might be worth an shot taking an screen from an hell themed room.

Yeah, I was thinking that when I saw the tech room; maybe a room themed like the greenish wall above. I tried the tech room ingame but I can't tell how good it'd look because you posted it as a full color PNG, and when I translated it to the DOOM palette it got modified slightly, looking somewhat fuzzy. Regardless, the (in this case blue) platform where the monsters stand should be a bit closer to the player.

By the way, BEX makes sense only if you're mapping for Boom or higher (currently, according to your other thread, your wad is in the normal Doom2 format). You don't get that much more using Boom's BEX (still have the same frames and effects), only more freedom with text strings, Par times, and null/pointer frames anywhere, so it's not worth it unless you use Boom triggers and features in the levels. MBF's BEX has a few more options (bouncy things, timer, &c), but I'm not sure how widely supported they all are (certainly not by Doom or Boom).

Yay, so this megawad is and will stay for Doom 2, vanilla (well, "limit-removing") Doom 2. But there is still Doom 2 Plus. What do you know, does Doom 2 Plus accept it, or even it cannot cope? Please don't post map screenshots to show the multitude of two-sided linedefs to suggest even Doom2p won't run it.

dutch devil posted:
AWESOME STORMED INFERNO MOUNTAIN TITLEPIC

Cool, the colours remind me of the game Diablo 1. And nice to see that the old Doom 1 intermission maps have been given attention. The problem, as I see it, is that the Doom logo takes up too much space. Should be smaller. But not blacker, blurrier or cloudier -- it would look too much like Heretic/Hexen, which is AFAIK a different world to Inferno.

I also wouldn't put a Cacodemon in the corner this time, as it seems to be classic otherwise, in general :)

Yes its for doom2 limit removing I thought I'd start out easy with an megawad I don't really need all the port tricks to make good maps and I want this to be playable on as many ports as possible and to let the player choose its own favourite port.

The titlepic is an bit changed its less symetrical now still not quite done yet but I don't wan't too put too much effort into that its the maps who need that more but I do like to keep that doom feeling thats why my stuff is using parts from the originals and I really can't do better right now this is what I can and its what you people have to accept :p

It would be cool to make some of the maps look an bit like those structures on that titlepic, like map30 is that large evil looking temple in the middle or something ah getting ideas allready.

@Myk yeah I noticed that thing as well I had made like 3 or 4 screens of that room before this one but even further away this is still an bit off though your right but I didn't noticed it was in png that would be the reason it looked fuzzy for me ingame why didn't I think of this.

dutch devil said:

that large evil looking temple in the middle or something

That's the original Hell Keep, E3M1. You'd probably make a map based on original E3M1, but much larger, and perhaps shaped like that house.

I like bossback2nl9.png the most. It's nice to hear a talented mapper such as yourself has a megawad in the works.

printz said:

You'd probably make a map based on original E3M1, but much larger, and perhaps shaped like that house.

I stay away from making my maps look like the originals I'm done with doing that to be honest, all I want now is new maps with new layouts that don't look like any original map.

But yeah I think I will make it look an bit like that structure on that titlepic an black temple surrounded by rivers of blood you climb and pretty large set of stairs and come to an large gate or something.

Maybe I could do something with one of those skulls as well its would probably look kinda dorky an skull thats been made out of alot of sectors :p but worth an shot methinks.

dutch devil said:

I stay away from making my maps look like the originals I'm done with doing that to be honest, all I want now is new maps with new layouts that don't look like any original map.

But yeah I think I will make it look an bit like that structure on that titlepic an black temple surrounded by rivers of blood you climb and pretty large set of stairs and come to an large gate or something.

Maybe I could do something with one of those skulls as well its would probably look kinda dorky an skull thats been made out of alot of sectors :p but worth an shot methinks.

You could probably fake a 3D skull using a bunch of custom midtextures.

...or just use a flat or cylindrical wall with a big skull texture.

dutch devil said:

black temple

I've been thinking of it being a hell's military compound, not just another sulphuric temple :P

You know that on doing so, shaping the map like that, you'll do it for the Doom 1 nostalgists. Like how would they feel to run through various challenges, so they can finally see the old Hell Keep to gigantic proportions, as a playable environment and as a definitive megawad finale (I suppose that building would be huge in real world, moreso as a final showdown)...