Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReFracture

Demo Playlist?

Does PrBoom/PrBoom+ support demo playlist?
As in, you could have the Alien Vendetta demo pack, which is 32 .lmp files, and make PrBoom play them all, in any order you wish?

If not, can they be connected into one big demo file?

You can't join them together into a single demo - Doom demos don't work like that.

Using autoloading, you can just play them by clicking on them from within the zip they're in. That's pretty straightforward, and certainly the way I'd watch a demo-pack such as this.

But if you want to watch them one after another without any human intervention, then you can make a BAT file for that purpose. With autoloading, you need just list the file-names:

av01-uv.lmp
av02-uv.lmp
av03-uv.lmp

Grazza said:
But if you want to watch them one after another without any human intervention, then you can make a BAT file for that purpose.

It might be an OS thing but in my case any successive demos will be launched immediately after the first, with PrBoom crashing in all cases but the first (SDL being in use). Windows XP works differently?

I looked through that post you made.. and for some reason I don't understand how to do this at all.

Edit: I think I got it.
I set it up to play like this:
glboom-plus.exe av01-uv.lmp -file av.wad avold.wad av.deh
glboom-plus.exe av02-uv.lmp -file av.wad avold.wad av.deh

Without the -file, the PrBoom launcher kept popping up. I can just copy paste that line a bunch and change the numbers easy enough. Thanks.

Mike.Reiner said:

I looked through that post you made.. and for some reason I don't understand how to do this at all. ... Without the -file, the PrBoom launcher kept popping up.

What operating system?

Did you follow the instructions and make glboom-plus.exe "%1" -auto the default action?

Are you using the current version of prboom-plus?

If in your BAT you have lines of the type glboom-plus av01-uv.lmp -auto, does that work OK?

myk said:

It might be an OS thing but in my case any successive demos will be launched immediately after the first, with PrBoom crashing in all cases but the first (SDL being in use). Windows XP works differently?

It may well be an OS thing. If I try to run several through a .bat file with prboom/+ it will try to immediately open an instance of prboom/prboom+ for each demo and play them all at one time. Failing, of course.

Doom2.exe however, does seem to work fine on my win 98 box and will play them one at a time, stepping through them like it should.

If you put a "pause" after every instance, the script will prompt for the user to hit enter(return) between each demo.
this will work for any "dos" functioning OS.

I had been also tired with typing "-playdemo blabla " so I made a program for browsing Compet-n demos.

It is written in C# .NET, if someone is interested I will release the bin and even the source code :).
But I think if you want to create a really good browser, you should start from the beginning :).

Here is a screenshot:

http://users.hszk.bme.hu/~ft701/browser.JPG

that looks pretty sweet :D

Back in the days, I remember I made a Batch file that was linked to .LMP
I just had to press keys according to the menu options to launch a demo or get info from LMPC :D

Only thing you need now is to add pwads and an 'info' button for a lmpc printout :D

Found this one in an old MS-DOS dir. Yes, laugh about the SSi ©. I thought I was !33+.

@ECHO OFF
IF "%1" == "" GOTO Err
ECHO Scorpion Software, inc.|DOOM2 -FILE %2.WAD -PLAYDEMO %1 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
GOTO End

:Err
  ECHO PLAYDEMO - Copyright (C) 1998 by Scorpion Software, inc.
  ECHO.
  ECHO Usage:
  ECHO.
  ECHO PLAYDEMO Demoname [PWADname]
  ECHO             |          |
  ECHO             |          \-» The Patch Wad file (optional - '.WAD' not needed)
  ECHO             |
  ECHO.            \------------» The name.LMP you wish to see (don't type '.LMP')
  GOTO End

:End
Slightly edited, since the original | and - weren't displayed correctly, and I replaced the little corner with \.