Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
John Smith

Freedom of speech for trolls

John Smith said:

I don't see this as a problem. The decision doesn't prevent administrators from banning or otherwise censoring trolls, it just gives said trolls (and the rest of us, too!) the right to remain anonymous and without fear of legal action, as it should be.

Heh, i remember one site i went to ages ago had a section about helping to stop spam, and some fucking redneck who didnt have a clue sent them a longwinded email starting with "guten morgen mein herr, oh sorry i thought we where in nazi germany" and went on a predictable vein from there. They posted it on the site with the comment "You really couldnt make this up"

Yeah, I don't think it's a problem either. If they are cohering to the rules set down by the site, there's no reason for them to reveal themselves or be forced to be revealed. The 1st amendment gave us freedom of speech so we can say what we want.

As a complete "hurrr america" side note, I love how freedom of speech was an Amendment. Like, they didn't think it should be in there in the first place.

AirRaid said:

As a complete "hurrr america" side note, I love how freedom of speech was an Amendment. Like, they didn't think it should be in there in the first place.

Well England doesn't even have freedom of speech as a law so, hurr to you.

I've no problem with trolls having freedom of speech so long as I can renew my licence to shoot them ;-)

Danarchy said:

Well England doesn't even have freedom of speech as a law so, hurr to you.

Or a constitution for that matter.

I thought this was interesting though:

Apparently Doe 6's comments were held to be

"unquestionably offensive and demeaning."

So, if someone has been demeaned by those comments, they are not able to seek compensation for that effective assault because they are not allowed to find out who perpetrated the act. That does seem one sided.

Enjay said:
So, if someone has been demeaned by those comments, they are not able to seek compensation for that effective assault because they are not allowed to find out who perpetrated the act.

From what I read there it means that the law won't be monitoring the Internet or demanding information to unveil identities or individuals emitting their opinions that don't become evident otherwise. The suing party in the second case mentioned tried to identify the trolls/flamers and they failed. The judge or the police aren't going to do it for them.