Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Pogostick] Doom Platformer | New v0.9!

[Pogostick]

Description
Pogostick is a 2D/3D platform game for Doom/GZDoom, heavily inspired by id softwares blockbuster "Commander Keen". It features a side-scrolling engine (3rd person camera), mouse aiming crosshair, all the original Doom weapons & monsters, new platform-style maps, a new hud, score system, bonus gem system with bonus maps for extra score, different player classes and many more things. Get ready for something totally ... different :)

Screenshots

Custom Maps & Contributions
The ZIP file includes a full editing tutorial that demonstrates how simple it is to create a complete new and custom map for Pogostick. Feel free to share your own maps and create maps for the official project as well (Skunk has already contributed one for the User Episode, time to compete :)) or do your own nice Player Classes for this project based on other heros from 2D games (e.g. Super Mario, Megaman, Hocus Pocus, etc.), for a reference on how to do this, check the C_KEEN.WAD player class in the PK3 :) Every little contribution is welcome :)

Download
http://home.arcor.de/tormentor667/pogostick.zip
(v0.8 although title graphic says 0.6, but it's newer)
(needs latest GZDoom, get from gzdoom.drdteam.org)

The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

Also, you should probably point out that you need a recent SVN build of ZDoom to play this, and link to where that can be downloaded, since I don't know if the people who post here are up on it as much as the zdoom.org guys.

Cool project though :)

edit: Much better!

I can't get this to work. I used GZDoom and the latest SVN of ZDoom. I'm at a black screen with a message that says "Please disable the standard HUD" or something.

Lizardcommando said:

I can't get this to work. I used GZDoom and the latest SVN of ZDoom. I'm at a black screen with a message that says "Please disable the standard HUD" or something.

Use the + key on your keyboard that resizes your screen, to get the standard Doom HUD out of the way. :)

esselfortium said:

Use the + key on your keyboard that resizes your screen, to get the standard Doom HUD out of the way. :)

Ah ok. I got it now. Thanks.

It's pretty neat. I like what I'm seeing. I just tested it out with two weapon mods, my Exterminator mod and Wildweasel's Diaz remake and they actually work. They can't use the aiming reticle and the scores no longer work with those mods, but it's still pretty neat.

looks a whole lot like a similar mod that Toxicfluff were working on for Legacy. Don't remember it's name though. Either way, he never finished it and I never got to play it.

Screenshot time!

Two new nifty things in the upcoming second map ;) Walking around corners (thx to Worst's script changes) and real jumping action on 3D Floors ;)

@kristus - Yeah, I have seen that as well years ago but unfortunately it got never finished. Expect a different end in this case ;)

hm, for some reason. That last screenshot really really reminds me of the Quake4 TC HardQore. (which is also a similar game)

I hope you don't go their way of creating the game play though.. As it's not nearly as good as Abuse (<3)

Either way, it's looking interesting. I'll be sure to give it a whirl when it's done.

kristus said:

Quake4 TC HardQore.

I have never heard of that neither played it so I can't actually tell :( The best way of doing the controls would be indeed having it working like in Abuse, I loved that game, but that's not possible with ZDoom right now, although Pogostick got very close to it :(

This is some cool stuff. I'm experimenting with level design - even though I've never worked with ZDoom effects - and I'm trying to remake MAP01.

It's great so far. However, I was having trouble getting into the proper LOS with monsters, and a better crosshair might help with that. I assume the current reticle/crosshair/whatever system is already based off of continuously firing non-damaging projectiles. It would be helpful if these projectiles fired even during another gun's firing, and if these projectiles would show themselves on floors, walls and monsters instead of at a fixed distance.

Or, this mod could also be fun with all movement restricted to two dimensions, ie a true platformer game, but while still showing the third dimension as decoration. That would get rid of the issue of getting into the proper LOS, and fights could instead be based on vertical aiming and dodging.

Also, it would be great if we could aim behind us or turn around, but I understand that's harder to implement.

*downloads*

I like the look of this - doom platformers actually done in Doom always helps.

kristus said:

Don't remember it's name though. Either way, he never finished it and I never got to play it.

Doomsplat. Tormentors mod has a very similar feel to Toxicfluffs work. Its a shame Legacy is arse and didn't finish it.

This looks made of amazing

...just so long as you make it FUN and don't go into this shitty trend for "insane!!1" platformers that are stupidly hard with jumps that require absolute pixel-perfection to reach platforms you can't even see, as they are not "random" or "fucking with your mind, man", they're just "shit"

Just gave it a spin. Got stuck in the first level kinda hard to get used to. It's quite enjoyable, strafing felt awkward at first. It was hard to judge the amount of distance to get the floating gems. Commander Keen hanging from a noose needs to make an appearance :)

This is begging for an ABUSE TC. Abuse needs a better treatment in the Doom engine than the BS 15 minute 32in24-sp map I made that was ABUSE insipired.

Shaikoten said:

This is begging for an ABUSE TC. Abuse needs a better treatment in the Doom engine than the BS 15 minute 32in24-sp map I made that was ABUSE insipired.

You can't have an Abuse TC without Abuse monster behavior. That would probably be the biggest issue; and you really can't get that Abuse feel without proper enemies.

Jodwin said:

You can't have an Abuse TC without Abuse monster behavior. That would probably be the biggest issue; and you really can't get that Abuse feel without proper enemies.

Right, but this is one giant step closer to it being fiesable.

i was really impressed by this wad. nice job.

EDIT: hmm... i wonder how TUTNT looks in 2d?

Jabberwock said:

Can't get that file.
Please, put it somewhere else.

Me either, :/

Well, guys, I want to show you my custom map for this project. I know that this topic was abandoned, but I thought that I should post Pogostick video in Pogostick topic ;)

Also I thinking to do new map for this project. Or it needn't...?

I recall the ZDoom thread of this getting a bit of attention, but then again I think you already know about that. Ah well, hope it gets finished.

Well, my new map. I think you know what is this...

Well, I need help with ACS. I'm not good with that. Maybe somebody can do script for this map?