Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ellmo

midis not recognized

I have MIDI files, that are not recoginzed by XWE as MIDI files O_o

Upon loading them into the WAD, they become WAVE sounds, and even if I force XWE to change their type to MUS, it'll declare it an uknown file format, and the music won't play in game.

SLumpED won't work for me, so... is there anything to do?

Does it not work when you load it as raw data? That should ignore the data type and just copy it into the WAD exactly as it is.

That should work, but if you're feeling lazy, Wintex automatically converts to MUS when you load in MIDIs.

(Yes, I still use Wintex. I use XWE as well, of course for its great new features, but I much prefer the way Wintex is laid out for straight-up editing and organization.)

Close the wad and try opening it again? Sometimes the "type" column in the entry list doesn't correctly identify the type of lump it is. Usually it's just harmless. If you're in doubt, rename it to d_runnin or something and test it out. I'm pretty sure it's just a cosmetic bug.

Enjay said:

Does it not work when you load it as raw data? That should ignore the data type and just copy it into the WAD exactly as it is.

It gives exactly the same effect as simply loading the MIDI there. Which is very strange, because it's loading a raw MIDI as a WAVE *scratches his head*

Nick Perrin said:

That should work, but if you're feeling lazy, Wintex automatically converts to MUS when you load in MIDIs.

I tried DeePsea (which I used before XWE for all lump management). DeePsea recognizes the MIDI and plays it nice in the previews. GZdoom still does not like it :/

EarthQuake said:

Close the wad and try opening it again? Sometimes the "type" column in the entry list doesn't correctly identify the type of lump it is. Usually it's just harmless. If you're in doubt, rename it to d_runnin or something and test it out. I'm pretty sure it's just a cosmetic bug.

Nope. XWE still thinks it's a WAVE.
I don't know much about MIDI files, but this migh be some type or format, that isn't widely accepted.

However I found the music (it's from Wolfenstein 3D) from another source. And it works okay.

ellmo said:

I tried DeePsea (which I used before XWE for all lump management). DeePsea recognizes the MIDI and plays it nice in the previews. GZdoom still does not like it :/

Very strange. I know you have got around the problem but if you want to dig further, perhaps there is something odd about the midi file itself. What happens of you simply load the midi from the command line without putting it in a WAD? The easiest way to do it would be to call it d_runnin.mid and then go to map01 and it should start playing.

gzdoom -file d_runnin.mid

Or you could call it d_runnin.wad (without actually putting it in a WAD) and drop it on the GZDoom icon (I don't think GZDoom will try to autoload a file with a mid extension but it should one with a WAD one even if it isn't actually a WAD).

Finally, you could also try putting it in a zip. Put it in a folder called music then put that into a zip and load the zip with GZDoom.

Enjay said:

Very strange. I know you have got around the problem but if you want to dig further, perhaps there is something odd about the midi file itself. What happens of you simply load the midi from the command line without putting it in a WAD? The easiest way to do it would be to call it d_runnin.mid and then go to map01 and it should start playing.

Hmm, I haven't thought of that, I'll try it later, Enjay.
And Iahev tried putting it in ZIP. It wasn't recognized again.

The MIDI file, as far as I know, may come from jaguar version of Wolf. Maybe there's something about that.

Anyway, I'll try to get the music files from other source or export them myself.