Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcscny

Music

My Son ( 8 ) and I have been working on creating Wads. We're able to add home made textures, but we're not able to add music ( Mp3 files ). We're using DoomBuilder and XWE. We dun Doom2 for Windows. The Mp3 files that we're trying to use are commercial Mp3's. We're STRICTLY using them in house, and have no intent on posting or distributing. We try to import the MP3 by renaming the Mp3 file to D_Runnin.mus, then open XWE and double click the music button. The file imports, but always shows "Unknown file format". I have tried converting the files to VBS, Mp3 192K, Mp3 128K, Mp3 64K, and ogg files. We tried using BeSweet ( but couldn't get anything to output to a file ). These aren't midi files, they're mp3 files.

Any ideas where we're going wrong? Any help would be appreciated...
Thanks.

Well for one, XWE does not support playback of MP3 files, and will always show "Unknown File Format" (I once suggested they add it, but they said it was "Beyond the scope of the project").

And for two, you need a source port that supports MP3 usage, IIRC, the list below shows a few (a few of them I am not sure of, but some of the other users here will be able to clear it up):

- ZDoom (I know for sure)
- GZDoom (Advanced version of the above)
- Edge (maybe)
- Boom (I think)
- Eternity

GZDoom supports MP3s, i would suggest using that. it also supports Impulse Tracker Modules, ogg, Scream Tracker Modules and a variety of other formats

By "Source port" do you mean Editor? I've read quite a bit about ZDoom, but I'm not sure what ZDoom is or where to get it? Is that an editor or another way to read/play Doom Wads? I have tried renaming the mp3 files to D_Runnin.Mp3 , .Mus and with No extension, they all give the same " Unknown File format" I have tried different MP3 files just in case that was the problem. It looks to me as if I need to convert my mp3 files to a midi format, then import that midi file using XWE.

Any ideas how to do that ?

Thanks for your quick responses!!

rcscny said:

By "Source port" do you mean Editor? I've read quite a bit about ZDoom, but I'm not sure what ZDoom is or where to get it?

No, a source port is just a port of the Doom engine, usually with enhanced features and better compatibility with modern operating systems. All of your questions can be answered through some quick Google searches, but I'll tell you that you can find ZDoom at the ZDoom homepage.

a source port is used for playing doom wads. zdoom or gzdoom is probably what you want to use. go to either website and download the latest version of whichever one. to play a doom wad with said source port, you can right click on wad file and press "open with" (*sourceport*) or just drag and drop on the source port's application icon. i hope i helped.

wow dude above me posted at same time. haha

These replys are great, thanks for the help...

So, If XWE's editor doesn't support Mp3 files, then which editor should we be using? Or is the key to change the mp3 to a different format (which I suspect we'll have to ). Doombuilder doesn't seem to be very friendly with music or textures.. We've been using Doombuilder ( my son has ) to lay out the levels, and XWE when we add textures / patches.

I'll check out ZDoom for sure, but I suspect that if its an updated player, I'm still not going to be able to import our music files. Its really important to my son ( at 8 he actually wants to know... so I would love to help him ).

Appreciate all of the input !

You should be able to just import the MP3 normally, without changing the file extension, as D_RUNNIN or whatever music lump name you want. XWE won't recognize it, but all that means is that you can't listen to it from within XWE. ZDoom should have no problem playing it ingame.

And if you do decide to use Zdoom or GZdoom, these ports support using zip files instead of WADs. So, you could just put your MP3 files into a folder called "music" and then put that folder into a zip file and load the zip as if it were a WAD.

http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/Using_ZIPs_as_WAD_replacement

And the GZdoom site is here

http://grafzahl.drdteam.org/

GZdoom is, at its simplest, Zdoom with added support for modern-style OpenGL graphics.

Try both, or any other of the suggested ports, and see which one(s) you like best.

No one pointed you in the direction of Doomsday - another good OpenGl port, although my preference is for GZdoom

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

All of the ports you have had suggested should play any standard Doom map. In addition, they all add port specific features that you might want to take advantage of at some point. some of these features will be available in a few ports (like mp3 support) and others will be specific to the port in question.