Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Marines of Doom and UAC

So why are the space marines (USSMC) stationed at the UAC? Did I miss something? UAC is a company on its own right? I am assuming that the Doom marines (USSMC) would be part of a government organization.

So how come the two intersect? Is it UAC security couldn't deal with the things so the marines had to be called in? r is the UAC a branch of the government like NASA would be? Or is UAC security more of a MP sort of thing for the army?

UAC is probably a government contractor, and, given the nature of their work, the US government had a good reason to want to protect the UAC base.

Not sure, but I'm certain that if Walmart managed to summon hordes of demons, the US govermnent would issue at least a few soldiers to deal with it :)

ellmo said:

Not sure, but I'm certain that if Walmart managed to summon hordes of demons, the US govermnent would issue at least a few soldiers to deal with it :)

Only if the demons refused to work for the minimum wage :-)

Ripped from the Ultimate Doom manual- "For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel."

It looks like the military are calling the shots while the UAC provides the facilities and support staff.

USSMC? What?

I see no mention of the United States of anything in DOOM.

United States Space Marine Corps. I thought that I saw it mentioned on wikipedia or wikia for the story of Doom 1, 2, 3, Final, or 64. One of those.

They are just marines in general. It's not specified anywhere of what. They are based loosely on the ones from Aliens (United States Colonial Marines), but aren't the same. The only thing hinting the US is the mention of Pearl Harbor (where the officer he killed was sent), but it doesn't tell whether the US (still) exists, or applies to the story.

myk said:

USSMC? What?

I see no mention of the United States of anything in DOOM.

They're mentioned in the storyline for TNT:Evilution.

GreyGhost said:

They're mentioned in the storyline for TNT:Evilution.

Ah ha! I'm not crazy! That's where I got it from a 3rd party add on that was officially released.

myk said:

They are just marines in general. It's not specified anywhere of what.

Come to think of it. Does any other country have "marines" ?

I think Flynn Taggard is from San Diego, California? Unless some other country is out-scourcing its militaries, the marines in Doom are American.

...Yeah, I just wanted to throw out Doom novel stuff to piss someone off.

Even if Doom guy is from a city on the North American continent, it doesn't mean the entity known as the United States still exists. The US could have dissolved/evolved into a completely different form of government, been conquered, become part of a global government, etc.

Bloodshedder said:

It's obvious most countires have some kind of naval infantry. I was more reffering to units named Marines. In this case they are mostly in USA, France and Southern America.
As you can read there the USMC is in fact a body independent from the US Navy.
I think they are by far the closest to the Doom marines (oh lord, why USA again?)

NiGHTMARE said:

The US could have dissolved/evolved into a completely different form of government, been conquered, become part of a global government, etc.

No one knows what id thought when they wrote the storylines. Could either be a globalized America (which is more likely for UAC's sake) or Europe, or the same political distribution of today. There's too little concern for politics in Doom and especially in Doom 2, with all those meanie devils amok.

Because DOOM was originally supposed to be a game for the movie Aliens. It could be "The Colonial Marines" from Aliens (2). In the Aliens mythos "the Company" was Weyland-Yutani, but it was so big that it was just "the Company."

There was a television special on the Aliens mythos on A&E (I think) that specified "the Company" was actually a globalized nation. Like Earth was "the Company." Then in an interview Lance Hendrickson mentioned UAC of DOOM as being similar to the Company / Weyland-Yutani. He gave several examples of science fiction with companies so big they had taken over. UAC was one of them he said. That could have just been Lance's own opinion though.

geo said:
There was a television special on the Aliens mythos on A&E (I think) that specified "the Company" was actually a globalized nation.

We would have to see how that was said, because the company in the Aliens series (especially the latter movies) is apparently more powerful than a globalized nation, as it basically owns various planetary colonies. From what we see in the movies, it's run like a business company, though.

Any fan (or FOX employee) can speculate all sorts of things and extend the original work with interpretations and fan/franchise additions. Before doing that, and to avoid indistinctly mixing up the facts of the original work with fan-made myth, it's best to point out what is really part of each movie or game. Even associations made by the authors are often just inspirational, since they usually try to make something new with their work (albeit similar to things they like or they choose to be influenced by).

printz said:
No one knows what id thought when they wrote the storylines.

We know they were inspired by Aliens (plus their D&D campaign for the demonic element), and we know they chose to use a sketchy background story. Just look at how they presented the marine, adding just enough details to situate the player in the game and encourage him to feel identified and to fill the details with his own imagination. If you define the scenario any more, you affect the character as well.

Other bits of "influence" can be found in the DOOM bible, and in the names of the resources. I'm guessing, for example, that the STAR textures stand for "Star Wars", as Tom Hall noted some areas should provide a clean tech environment like in some Star Wars series scenes.

In the story for the original Doom, it's mentioned that the commanding officer who Doomguy beat down was shipped to Pearl Harbor. As we all know, that's a major U.S. naval base. That suggests he's part of the U.S. military, though as Nightmare said there could be a global government or something.

Coopersville said:
I think Flynn Taggard is from San Diego, California? Unless some other country is out-scourcing its militaries, the marines in Doom are American.

Nah, he was from Orlando.

geo said:
Then in an interview Lance Hendrickson mentioned UAC of DOOM as being similar to the Company / Weyland-Yutani. He gave several examples of science fiction with companies so big they had taken over.

Lance Henriksen is awesome.