Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stickguy5000

Voom (couldn't think of anything to call it)

dude, i know its fun and all, but there are times when you just gotta chill and not release absolutely everything you have made with doom builder. i know its fun to put rooms together and all, but you know... you might want to make some longer maps that take days to complete and test them yourself and only pick the best ones to show to the folks here at doomworld.

Butts said:

dude, i know its fun and all, but there are times when you just gotta chill and not release absolutely everything you have made with doom builder. i know its fun to put rooms together and all, but you know... you might want to make some longer maps that take days to complete and test them yourself and only pick the best ones to show to the folks here at doomworld.

i'm a very sharing person. I never want to end up losing my work neither and so i always put the link somewhere so i can get to it if i lose it...

You continue to improve. The gameplay here was the best so far. The critical thing that you need to work on at this point in time is the aesthetic design, architecture, and layout. What you should do is take a good week to compose a map worth 5-10 minutes of gameplay, doing your best to make a visually appealing map. Look at your favorite WADs and note what they did to make good-looking levels. Oftentimes, good layouts and architecture lead to some good gameplay.

Keep it up. =)

You still have those little newb-flaws in your maps:

- doortraks that move along with your door (use lower unpegged flag, on the doortrak texture to avoid this)
- doors that raise and disappear... in the sky...
- doors that are simply flat on the walls
- repetitive sectors with repetitive texturing and flats choice.
- flats that look silly with some textures around
(you have water flats on top of sectors constructed with briks)

And something which is not a newb-flaw, but was pretty damn stupid to me:
- do you expect everyone to try and can cross the grating? grates are rather meant to be impassable.

ellmo said:

And something which is not a newb-flaw, but was pretty damn stupid to me:
- do you expect everyone to try and can cross the grating? grates are rather meant to be impassable. [/B]

well everybody else that i showed this to knew what to do...

stickguy5000 said:

well everybody else that i showed this to knew what to do...

it still lacks logic

Again, your texture and flat usage is bland and repetitive, your architecture is pretty basic, and while the gameplay has improved a bit, it still isn't that great. I'm sure you can get better though if you keep practicing.

I agree with ellmo about the grating in the first map; that is stupid and unintuitive. Just because people can figure out how to progress in the map doesn't mean it's a good idea.

And in that last map, what's the deal with that big hole with the BFG in it? I don't like traps that are inescapable and make you restart the level (or noclip).

Some feedback and observations on the new wad-

Map 1 - The switch in the first room doesn't work with PrBoom+ or Legacy and crashes Chocolate Doom. The grating wasn't a good idea though I've seen it done before. Same applies to using bosses in the first map.
Map 2 - Player can get trapped in the room with the chaingun - or is that deliberate?
Map 3 - Nukeage is usually harmful. Do the demons North of the Blue Key serve a purpose apart from denying the player 100% kills?
Map 4 - A BFG - good stuff - too bad there's nothing left to kill. This is where you need a boss or two and maybe put the BFG on a high pedestal where the player can see it.

If you are mapping for a particular source port could you tell us which one when you release a new wad.

Overall your mapping is improving - the ambushes are a nice touch if too easy, try putting the player in a crossfire. Keep practicing and don't take anything I've said here as a putdown - it's intended to be constructive criticism.

Reckoner said:

And in that last map, what's the deal with that big hole with the BFG in it? I don't like traps that are inescapable and make you restart the level (or noclip).

There is a switch nearby - press it before you go spelunking. :-)

And some new music. The tune in Map 2 has driven me CRAZY! (anyone notice the difference?) :-)

The Blue Key ambush in Map 5 could have been made nastier, such as having the floor drop to a lower level where the ambushers are waiting.

The demons in Map 6 startled me - to bad they're only for target practice. The room with the rising walkways was quite well done though it does create an inescapable nukage pit.

A couple of suggestions -
In Map 3 - put a teleporter in the demon pit. Destination - maybe the cacodemon room.
In Map 6 - grabbing the berserk pack reveals a teleporter behind the demons.