Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Necros20

NIU

From what I saw they jumped at "he stopped taking his medication!"

Remember kids, always take your medication, to avoid going postal any minute now.

My sister goes to that school. She left the room the shooting took place in a mere hour before it happened. I'm glad she was gone in time.

Yeah, that guy's fucking stupid. We don't even know anything about him and yet somehow Jack Thompson says Counterstrike is to blame for the shooting.

"I wish I wasn't here." My ass. This dude makes a living off of exploiting the tragedies of others. Go die in a fire, Jack Thompson.

What a douche bag, but what really pisses me off is that these "news" programs don't provide an opposing viewpoint.

Don't fuck with me Jack Thompson! I'm a chemically flawed Video Game player with years of virtual experience behind me....and it's time for my 1:30 training.

CD/DOOM2

DOOM2.exe

The problem with this is that he feels its easy to blame videogames because the are normally violent, and If you say a bunch of random science shit that doesn’t make any sense to back your statement up, all the idiots watching this decide to believe him. They don’t know a fucking word on what he’s talking about but it has all this science crap in it so it must be true (vomit). I have something to say to that: "Jack Thompson has a brain tumour that’s killing off the whole left side of his brain making him defunct in understanding proper astuteness".

The main problem with his statement is that he doesn’t understand the storylines to most of these games, and the fact that if videogames were somehow connected to these shootings, then we would have 1/3 of the world running around going postal in schools, malls and what not. He also fails to understand that all humans are naturally violent. What school taught him?

I suspect Jack Thompson's crusade against violent video games is just a means of getting his face on TV to promote his legal practice.

Man, I heard about this a few days ago, and it really bums me out. Not only does it re-raise the question of what can a college do to make themselves more secure, this was the fourth school-related shooting in the same week! There's just no way to catch the bad ones before they go and do something crazy, no matter how many counselors or therapists you may have.

*sigh*

And Jack Thompson can go suck a fat one

Texas Libra said:

As soon as I saw the Fox News logo spinning around, I clicked the "back" button.

*sigh*

And Jack Thompson can go suck a fat one

Yea, same here.

You really don't understand anything about gun ownership, do you, Graf? It's not like the NRA put those weapons in that boy's hands.

The real problem is that no one is doing any fucking parenting anymore. They send their kids to school as if it is a daycare, and that's really all it is. It don't teach no more, they only have one goal, and that's to have their students pass the stupid meaningless standardized tests. So the kids only learn how to pass tests. And they learn hierarchy. God forbid they do anything out of line, or they'll get expelled. Don't you even dare bring those nail clippers to school.

Then when they get home, the parents are too busy, and they let the TV and computer raise them. Then when their kids see or play something too violent the parents are like "OH MY GOD HOW COULD THEY MAKE SUCH A THING" and fucking sue the game company instead of taking the responsibility for not filtering what their children play and watch. No wonder the entire younger generation is filled with kids who say no one ever loved them. No one ever did. Their parents never showed love for them, and all they know is the shit they see on TV and such. Violence and drama.

When I have kids some day, I'm actually going to parent. I hope I have enough money then to be a stay-at-home dad. I want to homeschool my kids, because even my worst attempt is going to be better than the best public education has to offer. Our society is going down the shitter.

Graf Zahl said:

It's simple. As long as the NRA exists nothing will be able to stop these shootings.

If I may quote Mencken:

Explanations exist: they have existed for all times, for there is always an easy solution to every problem — neat, plausible and wrong.

Try to solve complex problems such as crime by doing things like banning guns, or violent media, or psychotropic medication is a fantasy. Britain is finding this out right now, as their violent crime rate is sky rocketing (up 82% in the past year). That is if they aren't manipulating the figures.

If you take away guns people will just strap suicide vests to themselves.

Snarboo said:

You really don't understand anything about gun ownership, do you, Graf? It's not like the NRA put those weapons in that boy's hands.

No, but they prevent the laws to keep weapons out of the hands of these nutcases and that's just as bad.

Graf Zahl said:

No, but they prevent the laws to keep weapons out of the hands of these nutcases and that's just as bad.

Um, actually there are. The guy shouldn't have gotten an Illinois FOID because he had been in a mental health center.

Danarchy said:

When I have kids some day, I'm actually going to parent. I hope I have enough money then to be a stay-at-home dad. I want to homeschool my kids, because even my worst attempt is going to be better than the best public education has to offer. Our society is going down the shitter.

While I agree with everything else you've said, I can't ignore the social experience a child gets from going to a public school, and I feel like it would be a very sad thing to take that away from them.

It depends on the individual teachers whether students are learning anything. The system is built around standardized tests, yes, but there are still a lot of teachers in that system that really do care about children truly learning -- not just passing tests.

Ryathaen said:

While I agree with everything else you've said, I can't ignore the social experience a child gets from going to a public school, and I feel like it would be a very sad thing to take that away from them.

How good that social experience is depends on how well a child gets along with other children. There's also issues like peer pressure to deal with.

I don't think homeschooling is a very good idea, from the prospect of socializing kids and giving them an environment other than the family where to interact and do things the parents wouldn't generally think of. Besides, the part that generally fails as far as school is concerned is high school, not so much elementary.

Ryathaen said:

Yeah, it's not like there's parks, little league, scouts, clubs for kids, neighbourhoods, or anything else for kids to get socialization from.

Personally, I think public education ruined my social skills. I was made fun of for nearly everything I said by both teachers and kids, until I "learned" to just never speak. Only recently have I been trying to retrain myself to be social, and it's a huge uphill battle.

I personally consider schools being improperly taught. My InfoTech class is so easy I want to rip my balls off and eat them. I'm sure we all know how to make folders, use word, and use a keyboard. I'm force to touch-type and for some reason, it has to be used or I fail term 1 for computing (I don’t have a problem with touch typing, but its annoying when I’m force to use it). What the fuck is up with that? I mean, I have gotten to the stage where I find c++ a challenge, which I have been forced to teach myself because I can't do anything like that this year.

I'm also in an environment where everything I say has to be wrong, mostly to the other students. The teachers think I'm too smart for my own good, and my 'classmates' think I'm as dumb as a plank. How the fuck does that work? Considering they say the stupidest things I have ever heard.

I honestly think the school education system needs a real kick in the head. They can’t stick students in the right class, and they cant put the teachers in the right place. (Seriously, my InfoTech teacher is my cooking teacher... huh?)