Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know of the Doom 64 TC, and the tremendous work it took to make it, however, it seems like there could be some updates to it... is there any intended progress on it? are there any future plans for it?

Holy hell Kaiser, thats awesome, even though it's a highly doubt, but is there going to be multiplayer? Because of Player sprites pic, it made me think multi would be added, but if it's sticking with 1p single player style, fine by me.

Btw... Will it be much like the first D64 TC (evil program and .wad movie and so on), or will it be available on a source port like ZDoom ?

Will your engine use the rom, or are you going to distribute the assets? Also, will it be cross-platform and/or open source?

Kaiser, you are incredibly awesome! I love the work you've done with the console Doom ports.

It would be wonderful to play Doom 64 again as it was in the original (my N64 is up in the attic and I can't really be bothered to dig it out). I'm also curious about how the assets will be handled. Will the ROM be required? That seems like a good idea to me, but I don't mind so long as the original data is used.

Good work!

Mithral_Demon said:

Btw... Will it be much like the first D64 TC (evil program and .wad movie and so on), or will it be available on a source port like ZDoom ?

It sounds to me like he's recreating just the engine, including routines to load the game assets in their original format, so I doubt this would work in any existing source port.

Mithral_Demon said:

Holy hell Kaiser, thats awesome, even though it's a highly doubt, but is there going to be multiplayer? Because of Player sprites pic, it made me think multi would be added, but if it's sticking with 1p single player style, fine by me.

Splitscreen support is definetly in, however I have yet to test online mode. I don't know how robust Doom3D's net code is.

This will not be a TC, this will be the full game using a custom engine based loosely on the old Doom3D source port. A lot of stuff in Doom3D was either removed or redone from scratch. And no, the exe will not be evil this time :P

exp(x) said:

Will your engine use the rom, or are you going to distribute the assets? Also, will it be cross-platform and/or open source?

I wish I could load the rom. Unfortuently, I only figured out one of its two compression algorithms to decompress the wad lumps. For the textures, demos, and levels, it uses a complicated compression method that I have yet to figure out. Because of this, I'll be including an iwad instead. Unlike the TC, the assets will be directly from the oringinal game. This includes levels as well as a lot of them from the TC were horribly inaccurate.

I have plans to make this open source once the engine is stable enough. Also a lot of you will probably hate me for this, but Doom3D is originally based on DirectX 6 and I intend to leave it that way for Doom64 simply because its so easy to get the renderer to do what I want. Plus OpenGL confuses the shit out of me.

I do hope to get a mapping community started with this and being able to see what people would come up with. I also plan on adding some wiki articles on editing Doom64 once I get things rolling.

Reckoner said:

Will the ROM be required?

Until I figure out Doom64's algorithm for decompressing levels, and textures, then yeah the rom would be required. But because I can't figure it out, an iwad will be used instead.

Reckoner said:

It sounds to me like he's recreating just the engine, including routines to load the game assets in their original format, so I doubt this would work in any existing source port.

Not only that but I am also trying to make how Doom64 functions and how it handles the line specials to be accurate with the oringinal game so that way people can have the ability to hack in their custom levels into the N64 version as well.

While OpenGL would be nice, I think using DirectX is understandable in this case. As for the assets, an IWAD sounds good to me; my only concern was for the original, unmodified data to be used, and it certainly sounds like that's the plan. The TC was great, and I can appreciate the work put into it, but I really just want to play some good old Doom 64 in its original form.

How much progress have you made on this, by the way? Sure, I've seen the screenshots and I can tell you've done quite a lot of work already, but is there any estimate on a release?

Edit:

Kaiser said:

Not only that but I am also trying to make how Doom64 functions and how it handles the line specials to be accurate with the oringinal game so that way people can have the ability to hack in their custom levels into the N64 version as well.

Great! It'd be nice to see some more good Doom 64 maps. Will you be modifying the Outcast Levels to run under this?

I would rather avoid giving estimates on when I'll have something done because whenever I say a release date, it never happens (cough* cif3).

As for progression, all levels are playable, all enemies implemented, all textures working. Only a few minor non-gameplay features are left to be completed. I also want to redo the mouse code and update it with something better (unless you tried the Doom3D source port and don't have a problem with its mouse code) and I also want to redo the console system as Doom3D's is kinda wonky. And then there's sounds and music as well...

Reckoner said:

but I really just want to play some good old Doom 64 in its original form.

Thats the whole plan. Since I am using the actual levels from the oringinal game this time, everything will be as true as the oringinal. Aside from the levels, there are other things like enemy behavior, user interfaces, etc. that I need to make sure that behaves properly like the original.

Reckoner said:

Great! It'd be nice to see some more good Doom 64 maps. Will you be modifying the Outcast Levels to run under this?

Yup, they will be included as bonus levels along with the TC exclusive levels.

Awesome! I loved the TC!

I do hope to get a mapping community started with this and being able to see what people would come up with. I also plan on adding some wiki articles on editing Doom64 once I get things rolling.

This also brings joy to my heart. I tried my hand at mapping for the TC, but since it was sorta non-user-friendly, I didn't get very far. I'd love to make some D64 map once your done with this :)

Oh, will you be including the Outcast content as well?

*edit*

Aha, nevermind that last bit, just re-read the above posts. Very awesome, looking forward to it even more :O

Kaiser you bring a tear to my eye <3

I support you 100%, mapping for Doom64 will be a dream realized.

ahh.. this was what i was looking for ... so a few questions then:

(1) Will it require a special editor?
(2) is scripting possible?
(3) is the map format different?
(4) will it/does it have moving skies?
(5) mouselook? (playing it on the N64 was a pain in the ass)

This is very interesting indeed. I own D64, but not an N64 (yeah, I know). I also have a ROM so have played it using Emulation (which was choppy and not very good) but the TC is the closest I have got to having a proper game of D64. So I'm really looking forward to this.

Too bad about the directx, but I can understand. Perhaps it will be possible to compile linux versions with winelib. This is awesome, nevertheless.

I can't wait. I am so gonna make maps for this once it's released. I would have made more maps for the Doom64 TC, but the lighting system was just too much of a pain to work with. The new lighting system combined with the custom editor makes it about as easy as it can possibly get. Plus the macro system for scripted events looks like it'd make it really easy to do some pretty cool stuff.

Janitor said:
ahh.. this was what i was looking for ... so a few questions then:

(1) Will it require a special editor?
(answer) yes, see http://kaiser.startan3.com/Tmp/DoomBuilder64_1.png
(2) is scripting possible?
(answer) d64's macro system is fully implemented, so yes.
(3) is the map format different?
(answer) yes, thus a custom editor is required
(4) will it/does it have moving skies?
(answer) yes
(5) mouselook? (playing it on the N64 was a pain in the ass)
(answer) turning exists, but looking up and down is still questionable. I can do it (see http://kaiser.startan3.com/Tmp/D64_MouseLookTest.png), but in order to keep the nostalgia intact, I would rather avoid it.

Ah, my computer doesn't like those links :(

Anyways, I agree that not being able to look up or down in the N64 version was quite a pain, though I can understand wanting to keep it the old way for nostalgia. But if there is going to be a large influx of custom maps being made for this, some mappers may want the ability to look up or down (maybe its just me, I dunno). Perhaps it would be a good idea to go ahead and implement it if it isn't too much trouble, and just have it turned off by default? Also, what's the word on jumping? I know in the TC you had to beat Hectic to enable it, will it be something like that again? For my take on this, I kinda go back to the full mouselook thing as in some mapper's would probably like having the option there.

Anyways, I'm really itching to make some maps for this :3

I prefer playing without jumping and mouselook, and I wouldn't want those enabled by default given the nature of the project, but I don't see why including them as options would hurt.

Mouselook I can understand (though I don't use it personally), but jumping is pointless.

iori said:

Mouselook I can understand (though I don't use it personally), but jumping is pointless.

Well, I'd certainly like mouselook and not having it would affect the replayability for me.

I'm less bothered about jumping but it not being there did frustrate me on subsequent runs through the TC and it could be useful for mappers so I wouldn't say that it was pointless.

Unfortuently, jumping is guaranteed to break events in Doom64 and I am not going to alter anything in the levels to support jumping, so its going to be a 'play with jumping at your own risk' sort of thing.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

Jump is more or less useless in the actual levels, though.

Yes, but map designers may want to make use of jumping, so it makes sense to include it as an option. And of course, breaking the gameplay in the original maps with jumping doesn't seem like an issue to me since the user has the freedom to not use it.

Reckoner said:

Yes, but map designers may want to make use of jumping, so it makes sense to include it as an option. And of course, breaking the gameplay in the original maps with jumping doesn't seem like an issue to me since the user has the freedom to not use it.

Yea, that's really the only reason why I brought up jumping, since it will definitely be useful for user-created maps. I also agree that since the stock D64 maps were made without jumping in mind, allowing jumping as the default for those maps might hinder the gameplay negatively. So I agree with the "play with jumping at your own risk" for the stock maps. That's kinda how I thought it worked with the TC version of jumping; you had to unlock it by beating Hectic, so it was more-or-less an easter egg or a reward type of thing, to me anyways.

it irritated me that in the original Doom64, I couldn't look up or down. it would be nice to have this feature, but, if it hasnt been mentioned, make the default no looking..

Kaiser said:

so its going to be a 'play with jumping at your own risk' sort of thing.

As it should be. If I choose to break the levels, it's my fault, not anyone else's. But I'd like the opportunity to do it. ;)

This is awesome news. I had been wondering what had happened to ya, Kaiser. I've always been a fan of your levels and mods, especially the Doom 64 TC and the PSXDoom levels for the PC. I'm so gonna get me a PC this year (finally) so I can play it. :D

Jim Rainer said:

Is everything going to be the right height this time? I remember in the TC all the enemy sprites towered over the player.

I hated how Doomsday rendered everything. Everything was way too stretched and really made things ugly.

Scale ratio should match up perfectly with the n64 version, so yeah everything should be at the right scale height. Including weapon sprites.

You make me want to search for my original Doom 64 game, but I won't exactly be able to play it with out my 64s power plug. x.x

But as of now, a question, progress? I am verry eager much like everyone else who posted.

Edit--
I see that the Editor is Doom Builder, but the configuration... I want to try out that config and w/e port or program being used. o-o