Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hyabusa

The Commander Keen thing

Okay I was playing Doom II Grosse level (level 32). At the end you kill 4 Commander Keens and then some wall moves down or something and you can get to the ending switch. How do you do that? I know you need to tag the sector 666 but like how do you control the actions of the sector?

The difference with the Keen things (If I am correct) is that it works on any level, whereas the map07 specials only work on map07. I think there is one subtle difference: on map 32 the doors open at the quick speed, on all other maps they open at the slow speed. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah that's it, strange thing about the speed difference. You could edit the graphics and use them for various effects, like making a load of "circuit breakers" that need to be "shut down" (with a chainsaw) to make a door open somewhere. My old "Anarchy Doom" was going to have a series of servers that needed to be destroyed before "the police where called" and swarmed into the level, but it was luckily deleted instead.

Oh, also some ports replace the special linedef actions with a level-specific script, so in those the keens WILL only work on map32

Enjay said:

The difference with the Keen things (If I am correct) is that it works on any level, whereas the map07 specials only work on map07. I think there is one subtle difference: on map 32 the doors open at the quick speed, on all other maps they open at the slow speed. Can anyone confirm?

No. They are always slow. Maybe the setup in MAP32 gives a wrong impression.

Graf Zahl said:

No. They are always slow.

Quite right. That's what I get for posting without checking. I'm sure I've seen others say that the door action is fast on map32 (which I why I repeated it) but on checking with Vanilla: no doubt about it, they are slow.

Hmmm, on map07 of vanilla, you could(presumably) have 3 things happen when killing monsters: tag 666 lowering when arachnotrons are dead, the same sector opening like a door when the keens are dead and tag 667 raising when the mancubi are dead.

Enjay said:

Hmmm, on map07 of vanilla, you could(presumably) have 3 things happen when killing monsters: tag 666 lowering when arachnotrons mancubi are dead, the same sector opening like a door when the keens are dead and tag 667 raising when the mancubi arachnotrons are dead.

Fixed. :)

Enjay said:

The difference with the Keen things (If I am correct) is that it works on any level, whereas the map07 specials only work on map07.

Really interresting, thanks for the information :)

Enjay said:

The difference with the Keen things (If I am correct) is that it works on any level, whereas the map07 specials only work on map07.

As in the map07 in Doom II, or any map07?

Nuxius said:

Fixed. :)

Oops. Posting when tired. Thanks.

BJ Blazkowicz said:

As in the map07 in Doom II, or any map07?

Well, Doom doesn't have a map07 or a mancubus or arachnotron, nor does Heretic. So they're out. Strife has the map number, but not the enemies. Hexen, you'd expect, would have the map number, but there is no map07 in the Hexen IWAD for some reason and no suitable enemies either. So that leaves DoomII, TNT and Plutonia. Neither of the final Doom IWADs use the effect, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't.

PWADs for Doom2 can certainly use the effect, and many have.

Enjay said:

Well, Doom doesn't have a map07 or a mancubus or arachnotron, nor does Heretic. So they're out. Strife has the map number, but not the enemies. Hexen, you'd expect, would have the map number, but there is no map07 in the Hexen IWAD for some reason and no suitable enemies either. So that leaves DoomII, TNT and Plutonia. Neither of the final Doom IWADs use the effect, but I'd be surprised if they couldn't.

PWADs for Doom2 can certainly use the effect, and many have.

I could've sworn TNT/Plutonia used it indirectly. (like the room that crushes the Lost Souls so Pain Elementals can shoot)

deathbringer said:

like making a load of "circuit breakers" that need to be "shut down" (with a chainsaw) to make a door open somewhere.

Or, for example, custom bosses that need to be killed to go onward :).

Oh, also some ports replace the special linedef actions with a level-specific script, so in those the keens WILL only work on map32

That sucks, I hope I don't get a port like that :)

Enjay said:

Hmmm, on map07 of vanilla, you could(presumably) have 3 things happen when killing monsters: tag 666 lowering when mancubi are dead, the same sector opening like a door when the keens are dead and tag 667 raising when the arachnotrons are dead.

I've never used these three together, but more than two special actions can be used. I once made a map07 with walls lowering after killing mancubi, a platform raising after killing the arachnotrons, then the level immediately ends after killing all cyberdemons. This made a nice level that built up to a boss fight. =)

BJ Blazkowicz said:

I could've sworn TNT/Plutonia used it indirectly. (like the room that crushes the Lost Souls so Pain Elementals can shoot)

I had a quick check before I posted and couldn't find tag 666 or tag 667 on map07 of TNT or Plutonia. I had a feeling they were used too. Apparently not though.