Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Deus Vult II: First Edition Released

Entryway: I'm watching the UV-Maxes in PrBoom-Plus 2.4.8.3 right now, and the slimetrails that were present in 2.4.8.1 are now gone, you did an amazing job on the latest version... I can't wait for the latest PrBoom-Plus with the fixed sky transfer action, that's gonna be the one for the update! I'm waiting on you now.

Doom Marine said:

I can't wait for the latest PrBoom-Plus with the fixed sky transfer action, that's gonna be the one for the update! I'm waiting on you now.

same link

Btw, it's about the first Dv (but Doom Marine will know why I ask there :) :
With Dv map05 under Prboom-plus, I have many textures misalignement and the framerate is really low in few large rooms...
If you're interested, I can make a zip containing screens.

Entryway: Tried out 2.4.8.3.test, everything works, but are you going to reintroduce the Sky Transfer Actions (271 & 272) in the future build? Some of Deus Vult II's levels really benefit from the custom skies.

K!r4 said:

Btw, it's about the first Dv (but Doom Marine will know why I ask there :) :
With Dv map05 under Prboom-plus, I have many textures misalignement and the framerate is really low in few large rooms...
If you're interested, I can make a zip containing screens.

Yeah, I also saw a whole bunch of noticeable misalignments in the first few maps that I've played so far. They all looked like things that could be fixed with nothing more than a quick autoalign, too.

What really impressed me was the wide variety of themes in here. It's like a major odyssey through space, China (or is that Japan?), beautiful mountain bases, Hell, and even Heaven.

Heaven in Doom, so paradoxal, and so good looking !
Maps 22 and 23 are epic (Doom Marine I'll send you a PM soon).

There is a bug in map 1. The teleport thing at sector 100 is not flagged EASY. This results in the player not being able to use the teleporter at sector 280 if playing on easy skill and being trapped in this area.

Also in single player is it possible to reach sector 469 in time before it closes ? .

hawkwind said:

There is a bug in map 1. The teleport thing at sector 100 is not flagged EASY. This results in the player not being able to use the teleporter at sector 280 if playing on easy skill and being trapped in this area.

Also in single player is it possible to reach sector 469 in time before it closes ? .

Hawkwind: Thanks for pointing that skill-1 noninclusive teleport object out. As for sector 469, you can reach it in time before it closes.

The gameplay fix for Map01 called for another update. See the first post of this thread.

With Kristus' issues addressed, DVII is just about ready to be uploaded to the Idgames Archives in about three hours, report any issues when you see them between now and then. Thanks.

Indeed it doesn't, the hellsky's offset is intended for an optimal view angle of 0 degrees (no freelook). I'm not sure how to solve this problem ...

@ Doom Marine

In view of the map01 teleport issue I decided to trawl through the maps, checking all the teleport things in DeepDea.

Map 19 - Things 68, 973, 1079, 1081 and 1189 have easy and medium skills missing and are multiplayer. Things 825-828 and 1185 have all skills and multiplayer.

Map 23 - Thing 3208 has the Easy skill flag missing.

... hope this helps.

Here's my long-winded review, mostly of things that you won't change in this stage of the development, and you shouldn't anyway, because they're all probably me being too analytical but I'll list them anyway...

Dual pistols in Doom has never been a good idea, and it's still not here. Not only are they aiming slightly off from where they actually end up shooting, but you didn't even flip the "light source" on the second one, so the shadows are on opposite sides.

Maps 01 and 02 are fun little romps and I really can't complain about anything in them. The trouble for me starts at 03, which causes my machine to chug a bit (my problem, not yours), but after running aimlessly in the woods for only a short time, I ended up falling off a cliff and while investigating a fire down there, ended up warping to what I thought at the time was a secret level. It's not, apparently, and I'm left wondering what happened and why.

Minus Morgul is an undeniably beautiful map that is unfortunately unbelievably awkward in the terms of gameplay.

Eagle's Nest is one of the most frustrating levels I have ever played. The monsters-appear-right-in-front-of-you-out-of-thin-air trick is used to staggering extremes. I'm either taking a Revenant rocket in the face from a space that was empty just a moment ago, being surrounded on all sides by imps that tear me apart in seconds, or accidentally backpedaling right off the side of the mountain before I'm even sure what sort of creature just popped out a foot away from me. And after that, I have to fight a cyberdemon on a fairly narrow staircase, and if I survive that, face a room so packed with teleporting demons that I can barely move? That's about the part I skipped to the next map.

The next map after that was very pretty, as all your maps are, and I'm still wowed by the spinning and dancing displays, but aside from that, actually playing through the map didn't feel all that fun, and it lost my interest after a while. It could use some more color, too.

That's about all I've played. I skipped ahead just to look at the two next maps, and I'm looking forward to playing them when I get the chance. Overall, what I've gotten through so far feels like a disappointment after the great time I had in Deus Vult, and while that certainly wasn't the perfect mapset, this one feels even less polished.

hawkwind said:

@ Doom Marine

In view of the map01 teleport issue I decided to trawl through the maps, checking all the teleport things in DeepDea.

Map 19 - Things 68, 973, 1079, 1081 and 1189 have easy and medium skills missing and are multiplayer. Things 825-828 and 1185 have all skills and multiplayer.

Map 23 - Thing 3208 has the Easy skill flag missing.

... hope this helps.

Hawkwind: Map19's teleports are related to multiplayer monsters, which only appear on skill 4 and up. I did however, flagged all of Map19's teleports non-multiplayer and all skills as a precaution.

As for Map23's teleports, the teleport landing with the Easy skill flag missing is intentional; you don't want the clerics to land there if you're novice player ;)

K!r4 said:
Good idea, I like sky transfer but I prefer complevel 9 than 11...

Actually, Boom compatibility is pretty lame because of how things act (quite differently from Doom and sometimes for no good reason). That's why I've suggested a more convenient method of handling compatibilities and settings, encouraging players to feel free to select other compatibility modes (such as MBF or true PrBoom with some compatibility settings enabled). As the engine stands, settings (the ones in the menu that can be aplied to the higher compatibility levels) are next to useless for recording (where you might want to change them often depending on the level set played). They are only useful for people that arrange them once and then hardly change them after.

Doom Marine said:

As for Map23's teleports, the teleport landing with the Easy skill flag missing is intentional; you don't want the clerics to land there if you're novice player ;)

Wouldn't it make more sense to flag the monsters themselves, so the non-teleporting clerics wouldn't count against your kill percentage?

Doom Marine said:
Entryway: Tried out 2.4.8.3.test, everything works, but are you going to reintroduce the Sky Transfer Actions (271 & 272) in the future build? Some of Deus Vult II's levels really benefit from the custom skies.

You can apply it in any case using -allow_sky_transfer_in_boom, as entryway noted.

esselfortium said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to flag the monsters themselves, so the non-teleporting clerics wouldn't count against your kill percentage?

Actually, regarding Map23, all of the clerics teleport out for all skill levels, regardless of that teleport landing (the clerics have multiple teleport landings, not just those specially flagged landings).

Basically, the higher the skill level, the more teleport landings are available for an enemy invasion.

Does it really need to have all these engine executables included with it? At least there's no need to have them in the /idgames version.

Wow, it is very nice to see a release! I've been waiting for this one. I played through the first couple maps and it's looking good so far. Great work!

Edit: This has been in development for what, nearly four years now? I suppose this'll win the Mordeth Award this year, unless we get some surprise releases later on.

RjY said:
At least there's no need to have them in the /idgames version.

I agree as it's no common practice to include engines like that, they aren't unavailable or hard to get, they're bloat to whoever doesn't use them or already has them, and they are programs that are regularly updated (so the included versions will be outdated soon).

myk said:

...and they are programs that are regularly updated (so the included versions will be outdated soon).

Actually, if the ports in question don't have an archive of older versions available, it may make sense to include the ports for exactly this reason. There's no telling if newer versions of ports will break compatibility for wads designed for older versions, and if there is no archive of all older versions available, then after a while it might become impossible to find a working version to play the wad with.

Jodwin, in some cases perhaps that could be a reason, though most engines are compatible with previous releases, except maybe betas and experimental ones. This wad is just "Boom compatible"; it doesn't even require the two included engines specifically.

PrBoom-plus does keep a repository of older versions at sourceforge, though I couldn't find an archive for old GZDoom versions.

Older versions also tend to have more bugs and some incompatibilities with newer hardware and systems.