Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Easier way to watch demos

K!r4 said:

It works perfectly, thanks !

The first method (via regedit) is more preferred than the second (using ASSOC+FTYPE), because it affects only current user associations instead of global system settings

Found a few minutes ago :
If you have a space in the name of the folder where is a lmp, prboom-plus can't find it, e.g. 'nightmare movies' doesn't work, but it's the fact for 'nightmare-movies'.

Names with spaces should work if you place quotation marks around the path:

prboom-plus -playdemo "d:\doom\nightmare movies\30uv2956"

I mean it doesn't work with the way of watching wich is described in this topic, but thanks because now I know one new thing :)

I don't understand why there are separate patterns for ETERNAL.WAD and ETERNALL.WAD. I made two copies of the ETERNAL.WAD produced by the from-scratch install, and named one ETERNALL.WAD. Then I tried a few of the original demos (a few of those that use level names without numbers, to be exact) listed for ETERNALL (via -auto), and they played just fine. What am I missing?

I did read through that thread before posting, but some points remain unclear. From what I understand of your posts there, some demos desync with the upgraded ETERNAL.WAD, but play fine with ETERNALL.WAD. What I wanted to know is:

1) Are there demos that desync with ETERNALL.WAD (or ETERNAL.WAD created from scratch) and play back properly with the upgraded version only?
2) Is the ETERNAL.WAD pattern for the upgraded version or the from-scratch version? The ETERNALL.WAD pattern has an explanatory comment, the ETERNAL.WAD could use one as well.

I haven't yet saw a desynch since I watch some eternal demos with Grazza's patterns, it's ok I think.

Another update, this time in the standard place.

Includes DV2 stuff and other recent demos, and some minor updates in the documentation.

Through your patterns I've noticed that 2002ado.zip contained in /idgames doesn't have the file 2002ado.deh, where can I found it ?

The version now in the archive is also not the one on which the demos were recorded.

I was about to say that you can get the correct version here:
http://www.atomicgamer.com/file.php?id=23056
But that is actually the first release (on which there were some demos, but it was not the one used for the demo-pack).

OK, found a place where the second release is still available:
http://crydee.sai.msu.ru/ftproot/pub/rec/games/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/megawads/2002ado.zip

It's perfect, thank you :)

Funny : the .txt in the 2002ado.zip in /idgames isn't from the good version... These problems should be fixed :/

How about that, I never even knew an updated 2002ado had been released.

Looks like only e2m6 from the demopack desyncs on the latest version. Is there any kind of procedure for uploading outdated versions of wads to the idgames archive for demo sync purposes?

Found a demo to add to the list :
blooper1.lmp from \tnt\speed\ev31-030.zip

replays with either doom2 or final doom, but without tnt31fix.

pattern27 or 31, if I understood correctly.

Thanks. The patterns for Final Doom demos were among the earliest ones I did, and back then I wasn't making such an effort to incorporate ad hoc naming of supplementary demos such as this. Possibly a trawl through them would reveal a few others.

Edit: I've added that and the following to the patterns (reuploaded):
044-p15n.lmp
funky_a.lmp
funky_b.lmp
funny.lmp
funny1.lmp
funny2.lmp
p31x340b.lmp
shit.lmp

Not added: archie.lmp, since it would clobber another demo of the same name.

Ryback said:
Is there any kind of procedure for uploading outdated versions of wads to the idgames archive for demo sync purposes?

If I'm not mistaken, Ty doesn't want various versions of wads on it. The best thing to do is have any older versions on the DSDA.

First update for more than two months, as I have been travelling quite extensively.

Only a small amount of changes were needed to accommodate the new demos that appeared while I was away - most notably for the demos recorded on the "newer" 1monster.wad, and to handle some ad hoc naming.

This should be fully up-to-date, so let me know if anything fails that ought to work.

BTW, I'd just like to emphasize that in almost all cases you don't need to force a complevel for playback. This is only necessary in rare cases, so don't do so unless you know it is definitely needed for a particular demo. Forcing a wrong complevel is liable to cause desyncs.

A fairly major update, to incorporate recent demos, including some with very ad hoc naming (meaning they didn't work with the existing patterns).

Note that to use this with Chex Quest demos, you'll need "-exe chex" in the command line (or right-click action, as it would be for me, and which I would recommend). Some of the existing Chex Quest demos don't play seem to back right, but I didn't feel like spending the time checking what the reason is, given the lack of documentation. Maybe some of them do feature the player dying.

If anyone feels like letting me know of any errors in the patterns, I would be grateful, as always.

Hey,
I've tryed to launch lmps from DV's original package and then prboom-plus is launched and quickly closed with this error message : W_GetNumForName: DV01-UVM not found
I have a similar error with all my others lmps...
I use the latest prboom-plus with XP for information.
Many thanks for any help.