Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haloless0320

Redstar WolfTC Released

I like how the guns look, even though they're model screenshots. But they're consistent with the old Wolf3d gun graphics.

Wolf3d allows Nazis to open locked doors, something Doom doesn't its monsters. But you may try exploiting this bug: http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Monsters_open_locked_doors. May not work for any source port, though. But how you do it: make the locked door normal, locked on both sides, but draw a linedef or two inside the door sector, without touching its door tracks, being as close as possible to the door faces. Give the new linedefs the type 1 (DR open door/close). This way, monsters (actually Nazis) should be able to open the locked door, unlike before.

HALOLESS0320, like i mentioned earlier, quote:

If you are intrested, i have weapon sprites from both the Macintosh and Jaguar ports of Wolfenstein 3D (they had diffrent higher resolution sprites). There are pros and cons of each set though:

1. The Mac weapons are very cartoony, but atleast they were made completly from scratch (using a very primitive paint program by the looks of it).

2. The Jaguar versions are less cartoony, however they use bits and pieces from Dooms weapons (however it is very well done). I prefer this over the Mac ones.

I think i also have just about 80% of all sprites and graphics related to Wolfenstein 3D ever made. Just ask.

No pics today,but I can tell you this.
I've got these sprites done
Nazi Scientist
Russian Scientist(Not an enemy)
Volksgrenadier
Medic
Nazi Scout(Needs some work)
I'm also on Level 07,I know its not much progress but I've been having troubles with Doombuilder and XWE because I'm running it on Vista.So I've lost a whole level when doombuilder froze,I'll keep everyone updated.
Also,how do I go into .BEX editing mode on wHacked?

(EDIT)I've been meaning to ask you about that ceejay.Do you happen to have anything that looks like a ww2 shotgun?I was thinking about letting the enemies open locked doors but then i figured usually if theres a locked door then that means theres something valuble behind it or something.So they just stand there on gaurd.But what i would like to do is figure out how to make them patrol like on the orignal wolf 3d.

Haloless0320 said:

(EDIT)I've been meaning to ask you about that ceejay.Do you happen to have anything that looks like a ww2 shotgun?I was thinking about letting the enemies open locked doors but then i figured usually if theres a locked door then that means theres something valuble behind it or something.So they just stand there on gaurd.But what i would like to do is figure out how to make them patrol like on the orignal wolf 3d.

A WWII shotgun? Huh? I suppose they looked like any kind of shotgun of that era (most common would be the double-barreled shotgun back then) and there is plenty of shotgun sprites around. But it probaly would not fit in a WWII/Wolfenstein scenario as there were practically no shotguns used during world war I and II except maybe by you occasional Allied soldier (American) as a personal second-hand weapon, but even that is highly unlikely. There is plenty of other weapons that were used though:

Axis (Nazi forces): Walther P38, Luger P08, Mauser K98 Kurtz (Mauser Carbine '98 short), MP-40, MG-42, Sturmgewehr '44 (first ever Assault Rifle), M24 "Potato Masher" Grenade, Panzerfaust (Bazooka) etc.

Allied (Good guys): Colt M1911, M1 Garand, Thompson 'army issue' (clip fed), BAR machine gun, Sten Gun Mk.II, Mk.IIA1 "pineapple" grenade", etc.

So there is plenty of weapons to choose from. The ports of Wolf3D for the Mac and Jag had same weapons but diffrent sprites for them: Knife, Pistol, Machine Gun, Chaingun, Flamethrower and Rocket Launcher.

CeeJay said:

there were practically no shotguns used during world war I and II

Trench Guns (shotguns fitted with bayonets) were used extensively by the US Army during WW1. Pump-action shotguns were favoured by US Marines for jungle fighting during WW2.

For this mod you'd probably be using a Winchester Model 97 or Model 12 - similar to the Doom shotgun.

more screenshots.

Nazi Scientist

Volksgrenadier

Russian Scientist

Yeah I did some research into ww2 guns and saw the trench gun.I'll look for something that resembles it.
Does anyone know who I should ask if I wanted to borrow a sprite from skulltag?Thats where the volksgrenadier sprite came from.

GreyGhost said:

Trench Guns (shotguns fitted with bayonets) were used extensively by the US Army during WW1. Pump-action shotguns were favoured by US Marines for jungle fighting during WW2.

For this mod you'd probably be using a Winchester Model 97 or Model 12 - similar to the Doom shotgun.

I stand corrected. I wasn't aware that the so called Trench Guns were actually shotguns. The Doom shotgun was based on a toy shotgun as was the pistol (from Toys-R-Us i believe). But it does look like an old type of shotgun mind you. And that pistol somewhat resembles a Beretta.

Anyhow, where will the levels take place? Behind enemy lines? What type of weapons you want in your project souly depends on where/when it takes place.

Well the story is that Stukov(you) and a unit of russian soldiers are trying to infiltrate a heavily fortified base that the nazi's have established to gain a foothold in the push north through Kharkov and eventually Stalingrad.They reach the checkpoint via jacked german supply truck where they hear a few german words exchanged.The truck krept forward relieving the tense feeling in their stomachs.Suddenly a german soldier opens fire on the truck.They gun it only to hit an embankment causing them to flip the truck over.Those who wasnt gunned down in the fight was taken hostage to the HQ.One by one Stukov's comrades are questioned and taken out back to be shot.Finally they come to Stukov.After a couple of beatings and intense questioning they finally prepare to shoot him on the spot.Figuing that it's die or die trying,Stukov lunges at the interregator and snatches his pistol from the holster.He quickly fires off a couple of shots,sending the nazi flailing to the ground as he grasped at the hole in his neck.But another gaurd is on him before he notices it.As if in slow motion the gaurd reaches for his P-38...

Well thats the story.But the levels are so far like this
1-Holding cells
2-Kennel
3-Tunnels
4-Garage(The Garage blows after you exit the level.Can't figure out how to do the explosion though)
5-Entrance and Yard
6-South Road(This area contains a Bunker,house,Checkpoint,and Decrepit Mansion used as another HQ)
7-Kharkov(A ruined City)
8-Hospital

Thats whats planned so far.

Weelll as it's set in a German fortress it'd mostly be Nazi weapons then. Though the odd Russian weapon could be scattered about left over from your captured unit. I'd imagine few if any western allied weapons would be around. Though perhaps an officer who was a veteran of the western front could have some "souveniers" from Poland, France, Norway etc. Couldnt see much ammo for such a thing laying about though... but tis only a game

The last screenshots no longer use graphics borrowed from Wolfenstein 3d. Also, I fear that the red monstrosity needs more detail.

printz said:

I fear that the red monstrosity needs more detail.

If you're referring to that red brick texture on every wall then I absolutely agree with you.
That texture seems way too over-abundant in the map. A wider variety of surfaces would be much more appealing.

As for the sprites... I don't care if they come from Blake Stone or from DOOM2. They can be modified enough to fit the WAD's theme.

DarkJedi188 said:

If you're referring to that red brick texture

Not only the texture, but the whole building, it looks too surreal.

printz said:

Not only the texture, but the whole building, it looks too surreal.

True. If that is supposed to be a building which got demolished by bombs that fell down from airplanes then it needs to have more detail.
Perhaps there can be some sectors in the middle to represent knocked-down tables and furniture, doors knocked off the hinges, and stuff like that.

Don't worry,that map got canned.I'm totally restarting on map 07 cause I just couldnt get it right.I recently bought call of duty two and I guess you could say I'm doing some Research.
Also,I am releasing this as a 15 level wad.I know I was supposed to make a megawad and I still plan on it.I'm just realeasing the 15 levels so whoever plays them could pass on some hints.So you'll have the 15 level redstar wad,and then the complete 32 level redstar wad Im calling "Redstar:Nuclear Winter Edition"

Your story is quite intresting and partly original. It does seem, atleast to me, like a slight repeat of the original Wolf3D story, except instead of an American spy it's a Russian soldier. Perhaps you could add some more depths to the story (maybe even a plot twist or two).

As for level design & graphics, I would agree with previous posts that you need some more detail in your levels judging by your sceenshots. Also perhaps some better graphics. As a suggestion, the new versions of EDGE supports 3D models aswell as high-resolution graphics, sprites and textures. It also has a very powerful, but very user-friendly, scripting system. Future releases of EDGE will mostly just focus on bug-fixes and glitches from now on to make it less buggy and unstable. Older versions of EDGE were infamous for being very buggy and unstable, but that is history now.

The only problem is that I can't get whacked to detect anything besides Boom and Ultimate doom, dunno whats the deal.
So far the only Ports I've been able to get Redstar to run through is the zdoom ports.It will run on Risen 3d and Doomsday but with missing textures.I tried running it on Edge but it pops up with an error saying "Edge does not support this type of Wav. format"

But yeah,After playing the Burghead Liberation it made me wanna figure out how to use Models on GZdoom(or any port for that matter)

Haloless0320 said:

...I tried running it on Edge but it pops up with an error saying "Edge does not support this type of Wav. format"

EDGE supports only standard doom format sound effects (not unedited WAVs or any other format). You need to open up your WAD with XWE and choose 'Save As (Doom Wave)' in the sound menu. You can still have sound effects of higher quality than those of Doom though. EDGE does support OGG format for music aswell as standard Midi (but i have not got Midi working with it though) apart for the original (and somewhat obsolete) Doom mus format (which doesn't sound too good on modern soundcards. Man, those SoundBlaster AWE32 cards sure kicked ass back in the day). If you were to consider to swap to EDGE i would gladly help you to get started, and maybe do some coding for you. A good place to check out would be the EDGE forums.

Ah thanks for the info.I'll fix that right away.

Sorry it's taking so long.I'm having some relationship problems recently and I've kinda hit a block.If anyone wants to help out on Map 07 just let me know and I'll send you the stuff you need.I just can't get the buildings the way I want.Anyone know how to make the whol room over a room thing work?

At its time Doom offered really state-of-the-art and realistic level structure but it did not, along with slopes, support room-over-room. This feature has, since the release of the Doom source code, been added to various sourceports, allthough if i am not mistaken this is often achieved by using an instant-silent-teleporter trick. EDGE does support room-over-room and so does ZDoom i believe (but wether these support true room-over-room i'm not sure but i suspect EDGE does). But i have no idea of how to add this to a map, my mapping skills are less than basic.

I'll have to admit that the weapons don't look great, honestly the few you had in your very first post seemed a whole lot more fitting than these. I just don't think model screenshots or poorly done sprites do this map justice, because before I turned the page things were looking really good (very Wolfy)

I donno, you seem to have lost a little focus between page one and page two of this thread. But who knows, I can't see what you're doing.

CeeJay said:

At its time Doom offered really state-of-the-art and realistic level structure but it did not, along with slopes, support room-over-room. This feature has, since the release of the Doom source code, been added to various sourceports, allthough if i am not mistaken this is often achieved by using an instant-silent-teleporter trick.

Yup, silent teleporter. That's exactly the way that it was done in Batman DOOM.
I remember having the automap turned on while I was walking on a spiralling stairwell on one of those maps about Two-Face.

Bank said:

I'll have to admit that the weapons don't look great, honestly the few you had in your very first post seemed a whole lot more fitting than these. I just don't think model screenshots or poorly done sprites do this map justice, because before I turned the page things were looking really good (very Wolfy)

I donno, you seem to have lost a little focus between page one and page two of this thread. But who knows, I can't see what you're doing.

Yeah the original wolf guns did look pretty good...I dunno it's just up in the air right now.

I didnt make those sprites,Except for the flamethrower guy who has been replaced.I the only other two I altered was the nazi scientist and the SS officer

I finally figured out what to do with level 7,take out the damn factory...it was screwing everything up.

It seems you are relying on the people here in this forum for the outcome of your project. I would strongly suggest that you instead do exactly what you want to do yourself, but always keep an ear open for critics and suggestions. This is YOUR project afterall. If somebody for example says the weapons sprites look terrible, sit down, relax, and think about it yourself. Do YOU think they look terrible? Just as an example. If you do not have enough inspiration, motivation and ideas yourself for the project, then sadly, your heart is probaly just not in it. I don't mean to be a heart-stabber or anything, i just though i'd point this out.

Bank said:

QTF i liked the old ones as well, i'm excited for this map tho as i am a big fan of Wolfenstein

Haloless0320 said:

Yeah the original wolf guns did look pretty good...I dunno it's just up in the air right now.

I didnt make those sprites,Except for the flamethrower guy who has been replaced.I the only other two I altered was the nazi scientist and the SS officer

I finally figured out what to do with level 7,take out the damn factory...it was screwing everything up.

Well that's part of it, probably the biggest difference is that they looked like wolf maps on the first page, now they look like wolf-inspired maps, or maps with a wolf setting.

As CeeJay said, do it for yourself, not me or anyone else; but what I've seen you do earlier was better than this.

Haloless0320 said:

more screenshots.

*images*

Those guns look absolutely terrible, but for entirely different reasons: That Sten suffers from horrible levels of pixellation to the point where it looks ugly and the shotgun looks incredibally bland.

CeeJay said:

It seems you are relying on the people here in this forum for the outcome of your project. I would strongly suggest that you instead do exactly what you want to do yourself, but always keep an ear open for critics and suggestions. This is YOUR project afterall. If somebody for example says the weapons sprites look terrible, sit down, relax, and think about it yourself. Do YOU think they look terrible? Just as an example. If you do not have enough inspiration, motivation and ideas yourself for the project, then sadly, your heart is probaly just not in it. I don't mean to be a heart-stabber or anything, i just though i'd point this out.

Well see thats the thing.Due to the lack of knowledge I have I can't do anything I'd like with the wad.This wad is my first major project...and prior to that I have only one other wad that I had made.If i knew how to do the ZDoom scripting I would like to do this

-Reaload weapons.
-Some way you could get a Nazi uniform and walk around undetected for a bit.
-Make a convicing looking house.

As for the weapon sprites I like both(Besides the sten) weapon sets.

And the levels are inspired by Laz Rojas' Wolf 3d TC's thats why they don't take place Entirely in a Authentic Wolf 3d setting.And for the most part I am looking for hints and tips on the forums,I figured seasoned wad author's might be able to shed some light on the dilemma.

I actually prefer the model-rip weapons, aside from the sten. The original wolf3d weapons are too low-res in my opinion.

Haloless0320 said:

-Reaload weapons.

Oh please DON'T make the guns be like that!
You see, the main reason why I prefer oldschool FPS games over modern FPS games is because the oldschool lack the reloading feature.
Reloading a gun after every 7 shots is bloody annoying and it keeps making me die in the middle of combat.
Hence why I utterly detest games like DOOM3. They're just impossible to beat without resorting to cheats. And I don't want to cheat.

-Some way you could get a Nazi uniform and walk around undetected for a bit.

Now that's a wonderful idea! I'd love to see something new to replace that same old radiation-shielding suit.

-Make a convicing looking house.

Ummm... Ask Tormentor667 to help you out. He built some excellent houses in The City Of The Damned: Apocalypse.