Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Uh, I just played through DOOM -- again!

So, I don't know if this thread has a real point, but seriously, DOOM is 15 years old, I've been playing it since release, and now I've just finished playing through all four episodes again.

How in the world did id create a game so amazingly addictive? I try to go and play other games to give me perspective, but I end up just being bored as hell (no pun intended), and then I rush back to my DOOM.

Please share similar/dissimilar experiences...

Intel17 said:

How in the world did id create a game so amazingly addictive? I try to go and play other games to give me perspective, but I end up just being bored as hell (no pun intended), and then I rush back to my DOOM.

I don't think it's addictive, in fact by now I stop playing it after a few levels, because they play similarly. But you end up still playing Doom, probably because other games you may be having aren't as balanced as Doom and this game benefited for being the first of nearly the first, so it also has a big community, probably the biggest (unlike potentially better games like Heretic, Strife...). And yes, Doom is balanced, because it offers monsters which are easy to manage, but who may still kill you easily (most notably, Sergeants and Revenants).

But speaking of monster ease, then Doom may have gained this "addictiveness" because its main levelset on UV is easier than most other classic shooters played on their hardest playable skill level. Like I can play Doom anytime, unlike Heretic's episodes 4 or 5 on Black Plague, which really need some concentration, at first at least.

Bah i am playing Doom since 10 years and i will never be bored of it...its always fun to do the Episode over and over again...plus there is some Wads released which add even more fun to this game...personally i think Doom will never die.

I think DOOM's funfactor is the main reason for its succes even 15 years after its release. It's just fun to play, in the sense that games back then weren't all that serious. DOOM has a certain sillyness - the Imp's name, the stupidity of the demons (infighting) and the 'badass' attitude of it all.
Most recent games, expecially FPS's, all strive to be so realistic that they become too serious. There's no room for sillyness in the awe-inspiring environments in which modern games seemingly have to take place.
StarCraft also has this funfactor in the design of their units, especially with all the voices. I think Blizzard really grasps the concept. Some modern games you may be referring to do not.

I agree with Terra-jin on Blizzard's games.

And Doom offers a ton of fun. Yes, if you play the same levels over and over again at some point it seems a little more routine but overall its an enjoyable experience.

Never in all my time have I seen an atmosphere that is the same as Doom's. I believe that's the mystique of it all.

If i can add this...i think the environment of each lvl makes it a factor of why people still play and create Wads...the possibility are infinite with the Doom Builder...sad i suck at using it i had so many idea plus i had all the free time for it...bah i will just wait for more wads...just to say Doom cannot die as i said in my above post

Somebody said in a previous thread that one of the things that makes
Doom really easy to build great levels for in comparison to newer games is the fact that not only does Doom not try to be realistic, but it really can't afford to try to. The graphics where archaic enough that trying to make truly realistic environments would be more stupid than anything, because on a fundamental level they can't be super realistic. Because of this, the level designs, both in the originals and in most user maps, are much more flexible, since they don't need to strive to create a lifelike environment. I hadn't originally hit on this fact, but I think that this is really important to the game's long-term success. The environments don't need to look like anything, they just need to look good and be fun to play.

Don't forget that the limitations of the Doom engine have inspired wad authors to think more creatively. Think of all the little editing tricks that have been discovered over the years. Or the coming of DeHackEd for that matter. These things have brought seemingly infinite possibilities to the table.

This thread reminds me of a poll I made which I asked how many people had finished doom without cheating, and quite a few people here, including many grizzled forums veterans haven't.

StupidBunny said:
Somebody said in a previous thread that one of the things that makes
Doom really easy to build great levels for in comparison to newer games is the fact that not only does Doom not try to be realistic, but it really can't afford to try to. The graphics where archaic enough that trying to make truly realistic environments would be more stupid than anything, because on a fundamental level they can't be super realistic. Because of this, the level designs, both in the originals and in most user maps, are much more flexible, since they don't need to strive to create a lifelike environment. I hadn't originally hit on this fact, but I think that this is really important to the game's long-term success. The environments don't need to look like anything, they just need to look good and be fun to play.

You know, I been trying to make a mod to turn all of that on it's head. I just know, if done right, doom can take it's self seriously, and be God damn awesome as a result.

I didn't cheat on this playthrough, or on the last twenty or so playthroughs.

But yeah, I've been playing WADS from the Maximum DOOM collection, and I honestly don't think I'll ever stop playing DOOM....

I had this Demon Gate CD, don't know if I still have it or not. Got it in 95 I think. That more than made up for my Doom stuff until mods got off the ground.

I recently beat Doom on GBA. Good times. I remember my friend was all mad because I had Doom for the PC (when it was first released) and his PC wasn't fast enough to run it at a very good framerate...:)

Yes, I have the demongate CD as well. I got it around 94 because it said it had a level editor, and for some reason I thought it had the full version of doom 1 on it as well. I only had doom 2 at the time. I was also 10. It was fun for a while, even though the level editor only let you change certain entities to other entities, so it was rather worthless. I still fondly remember the "castle phobos" .wad, and this one sound/level .wad with clips from monty python, beavis and butthead, and the simpsons. I think my first user made .wad I ever played was bastard... ah the memories. Still a great game though, I load up doom or doom 2 every now and again and just plow through a bit of it. Nice and stress relieving.