Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kaiser_wilhelm

A few questions 1 on doom builder and one a request

Hello, I am making a Zdoom map right now and I was having trouble putting some Things into my map. Like for example the thing that makes a 3d bridge I somehow cannot put into my map even though I am using Doom Builder in Zdoom configuration.

Another question I have is some input for my map. This is my third map that I have worked on. I am trying to figure out where to put monsters as well as some general input from people more knowledgeable than I am. On the layout of the map etc.

Bugs I know about : The sky texture on the walls is messed up I know.

My map uses the 2mbrown.wad by tormentor 667 for some textures so you will need that... Link http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=14328

Some screenshots:

Download Link: http://files.filefront.com/cropwad/;9718239;/fileinfo.html

-Thank you,

Kaiser Wilhelm

kaiser_wilhelm said:

Like for example the thing that makes a 3d bridge I somehow cannot put into my map even though I am using Doom Builder in Zdoom configuration.

Are you using the ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) config? You have to be using that one to add bridge things, as they aren't available under the ZDoom (Doom in Doom format) config.

Of course, you can always make 3D bridges via this method instead, if you so choose:

http://www.doomworld.com/tutorials/fx8.php

Those types of 3D bridges even work under vanilla doom. ;)

Anyway, pretty nice looking map you have there, especially if it's only your third one. Heh, I can definitely tell you my third map didn't look that good. :p

oooh! Doom in HEXEN Format!!! How come it has to be in that format to get all the specials? because those are borrowed from hexen? and thanks for the response. Can you play and walk around in the level a bit to give me some feedback I need a lot of help! I will put you in the text file when its released.

Feedback
a)be careful about putting in detail that juts too far out into confined spaces, the player can get temporarily stuck in it trying to fight, and that's never a good thing.

b)You're cutting off flats at very odd places. Note the cubicle area in the first room. Look at the computer panels, towards the bottom of the slope, where you're cutting a computer screen in half (you did this again later in the level). Also look at the ceiling in this same area, you're cutting the lights in half in places.

c)now that you've converted the map into Doom in Hexen format, I would suggest giving the glass a "block everything" tag. Although one can argue that a plate of glass stopping a rocket looks weird, bullets and rockets and the like passing right through it without shattering it look even weirder. I just look at it as some form of futuristic bullet proof glass or something. :p Of course, you could always do what Enjay does in some of his wads and make it shatterable. I'm not sure how you do that, though.

d)on the skies thing, all you need to do is

1)make a sector surrounding the sky area (just where you have the sky textures pasted at right now, not where the buildings are at)
2)make the ceiling and floor of this sector sky, and
3)lower the ceiling to the floor.
Don't worry about the missing upper texture, Doom will ignore it.

As a matter of fact, now that you have the map converted into Doom in Hexen format, there's a lot of other cool stuff you can do to the sky area. If you upload it again, I can add some of the stuff I'm thinking about and show/tell you how I did them.

kaiser_wilhelm said:

oooh! Doom in HEXEN Format!!! How come it has to be in that format to get all the specials? because those are borrowed from hexen?

Some features are from Hexen but the main reason so many advanced things are only available for Hexen format is simply that it allows greater flexibility. For example, to use 3D-bridge things you need to specify a height value for each thing. Doom format doesn't have this information so although you could place the bridges there they'd always be directly on the floor and therefore useless.

As a matter of fact, now that you have the map converted into Doom in Hexen format, there's a lot of other cool stuff you can do to the sky area. If you upload it again, I can add some of the stuff I'm thinking about and show/tell you how I did them.

What about putting slopes in my map? I can't find the slopes in hexen format!

and to speak about the detail confinement thats why I was going to make paths in the architecture with blocking linedefs keeping people out of confined spaces.

Slopes, LineDef actions.
Look in "Plane" of LineDef actions. In things, the "Slope Floor" and "Slope Ceiling" are harder to use, so LineDef "Plane" is the way.

Nuxius said:

Feedback
a)be careful about putting in detail that juts too far out into confined spaces, the player can get temporarily stuck in it trying to fight, and that's never a good thing.

b)You're cutting off flats at very odd places. Note the cubicle area in the first room. Look at the computer panels, towards the bottom of the slope, where you're cutting a computer screen in half (you did this again later in the level). Also look at the ceiling in this same area, you're cutting the lights in half in places.

c)now that you've converted the map into Doom in Hexen format, I would suggest giving the glass a "block everything" tag. Although one can argue that a plate of glass stopping a rocket looks weird, bullets and rockets and the like passing right through it without shattering it look even weirder. I just look at it as some form of futuristic bullet proof glass or something. :p Of course, you could always do what Enjay does in some of his wads and make it shatterable. I'm not sure how you do that, though.

d)on the skies thing, all you need to do is

1)make a sector surrounding the sky area (just where you have the sky textures pasted at right now, not where the buildings are at)
2)make the ceiling and floor of this sector sky, and
3)lower the ceiling to the floor.
Don't worry about the missing upper texture, Doom will ignore it.

http://files.filefront.com/outcroppingwad/;9743430;/fileinfo.html
allright here is the new version. Can you also help me figure out where to put monsters? Or does the map need to be done to do that?

kaiser_wilhelm said:

Or does the map need to be done to do that?

Whichever way is easier for you, there is no wrong or right way. I myself typically wait until I have my layout mostly done before I add in monsters, as sometimes I find myself wanting to change the path the player takes through the level, and that means I would have to change the monsters, lest I let progression go to hell. ;) Leaving them till near the end gets rid of that problem. Only time I ever put them in while I'm building it is if I have a specific battle plan for that place/arena, where I want to "build the area around the monsters", so to speak.

On another note, where is it exactly is this supposed to take place at? I mean, I know it's a techbase, but is this a base on a planet, or a spaceship, etc?

Nuxius said:

Whichever way is easier for you, there is no wrong or right way. I myself typically wait until I have my layout mostly done before I add in monsters, as sometimes I find myself wanting to change the path the player takes through the level, and that means I would have to change the monsters, lest I let progression go to hell. ;) Leaving them till near the end gets rid of that problem. Only time I ever put them in while I'm building it is if I have a specific battle plan for that place/arena, where I want to "build the area around the monsters", so to speak.

On another note, where is it exactly is this supposed to take place at? I mean, I know it's a techbase, but is this a base on a planet, or a spaceship, etc?

Its on a mining base that has had prefabricated buildings that flew to the area and sunk into the rock face of a mountain. Thats why you can only see sky. I am going to build parts where you can see the rock face.

kaiser_wilhelm said:

Its on a mining base that has had prefabricated buildings that flew to the area and sunk into the rock face of a mountain. Thats why you can only see sky. I am going to build parts where you can see the rock face.

Ahh, O.K., I was going to go ahead and build a skybox for you, but I'll probably wait now until you get the majority of the level completed. Definitely can't leave the regular Doom II sky in, as it's not made to tile downwards and upwards and looks horrible. Thank goodness a nice skybox will fix that. ;)

Thinking about it, I might go ahead and make a quick 'filler' one anyway, just to make the atmosphere a little better. I can make it a rainy day, night, hell themed, on a moon, etc. Just let me know what one you'd like. Oh, and keep in mind what colors ZDoom's software renderer can do too; so don't say "make it sky blue", as Doom's regular color palette doesn't allow for that. ;)