who is gonna play it?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. who is gonna play it?

• yes
    • no

RPDoom is an RPG of ...well Doom.
Im making it in RPG maker 2000.
I have a demo download of it here...geocities.com/roleplayingdoom
Also I might need some help. Like extra charsets, chipsets, music, sounds. Also I might need some story ideas. So send me some stuff and give me your name if I like it and you will be heard.

Geocities??? you'll go down due to bandwidth exceeding in 5 seconds flat.

Also there's been RM2K "dooms" before, most have been shitty. And doom music (i already know you have used it without even playing) really doesnt fit the slow-paced nature of it. Re-creating a sci-fi adventure based on doom, and using it's monsters, but giving it a very puzzle heavy and mysterious nature would be a better idea, trying to just make doom with a top-down view and turn based battles WILL fail

'Gainst my better judgement, i tried it, and it was a lot better than i was actually expecting. The maker has actually used doom textures and emluations of doom sprites, there's even barrels and tech pillars! Plus in the battle scenes you don't just face stolen doom TROOA1 sprites, but actual re-draws of the doom enemies that better fit the resolution (go on, add more than just the zombie guy and imp though). He's also resisted the temptation to use the E1M1 music for E1M1, a good thing as it would get irritating quickly and doesnt fit an RPG at all.

HOWEVER, there's numerous bugs...
-The tech pillar 'tops' are set to be "under" the player so you can walk "through" them
-The "wall top" is solid, rather than allowing the player to go under one block of it (i think in the terrain setup you give it a square shape, but it's been ages since i used RM2K)
-The paralysis attack uses no "energy", does the same damage as an attack, and always paralyses the enemy until you hit them again, basically meaning you can win fights without being hit once
-The enemies don't dissapear when they die! to do this, set up a switch (you can have thousands of switches so don't worry about running out of them) and in the events, after the battle starts, turn the switch on. That way should you win the fight and come back to the map, the 'switched on' enemy will be present. Of course you make the switched on enemy invisible and un-touchable
-You have to 'talk to' the enemies to fight them, and they just meander. They should come to you and fight when you touch them
-Loads of the default, engrish-tastic Russian text is still used. Like the health kit is called a "magic drop" or something. And the fights say "You won a combat!", The texts, name and function of items should be the FIRST things you set up in a new project, before you even start to make the maps!
-The E1M1 secrets arent there, or at least the way you get to them in Doom isn't present/possible. They should be added, though perhaps you could make new ways of getting to them not possible in Doom, like having to use a computer in the computer rooms and put in a password. Obviously you should leave clues, like a torn message on the floor saying "to get the shotgun the code is 06-", and not just expect players to find the password computer by accident and try all 1000 codes

BJ Blazkowicz said:

The thread title looks like a misspelling of PRBoom.

Also, there has been RPGM2K Dooms before, as well as an official Doom RPG.

Don't forget the ill-fated Doomworld RPG.

It was this epic RPG Maker game that Ralphis was working on which had a lot of members from the Doom/Doomworld community. Unfortunately, I think he lost it in a Hard drive crash or something.

kristus said:

That depends, on if it's good or not.

It's not very good.

-It's just an RPG Maker 2000 game with badly drawn Doom sprites on the map. The in-battle enemy graphics are ripped from Doom 64.

-It uses the basic turn-based battle system that's built into RPG Maker 2000.

-The Doom Guy knows Paralysis and Poison spells.

-Spells are under "Tech Skills" in the menu, and "Sorcery" during battle.

-The Doom Guy doesn't start with a weapon, but his attack during battle sounds like a pistol. He's also equipped with "Cloth Armor."

-There are no Doom sounds at all.

-When you defeat an enemy, they stay on the map and you can fight them over and over again. Normally, the enemies would disappear if this was coded right (like it is in other RPG Maker 2000 games I've played).

So it could be good if he spends some serious time on it.

Well so far it sounds like a lot of stuff should be fixed before you release it. If things get polished I might check it out.

What's wrong with RPG Maker 2000 ?

The facts it's somewhat linked with Doom single handedly make it a place to discuss in a Doom community.

caco_killer said:

It's not very good.

-It's just an RPG Maker 2000 game with badly drawn Doom sprites on the map. The in-battle enemy graphics are ripped from Doom 64.

-It uses the basic turn-based battle system that's built into RPG Maker 2000.

-The Doom Guy knows Paralysis and Poison spells.

-Spells are under "Tech Skills" in the menu, and "Sorcery" during battle.

-The Doom Guy doesn't start with a weapon, but his attack during battle sounds like a pistol. He's also equipped with "Cloth Armor."

-There are no Doom sounds at all.

-When you defeat an enemy, they stay on the map and you can fight them over and over again. Normally, the enemies would disappear if this was coded right (like it is in other RPG Maker 2000 games I've played).

So it could be good if he spends some serious time on it.

dude it's just a demo of what is gonna be there and yea i have fixed all the bugs and stuff. badly drawn?
dude its an RPG. what do u expect?
and you say there are no doom sounds. u just said the battle animation sounds like a pistol.

caco_killer said:

RPG maker 2000

I lost intrest.

I thought he was talking about something like the Korax Mod for Hexen.

caboose1408 said:

dude it's just a demo of what is gonna be there and yea i have fixed all the bugs and stuff. badly drawn?
and you say there are no doom sounds. u just said the battle animation sounds like a pistol.

You made the demo in one day. You should have spent a few months working on it, so those issues I mentioned could be fixed.

Lizardcommando said:

It was this epic RPG Maker game that Ralphis was working on which had a lot of members from the Doom/Doomworld community. Unfortunately, I think he lost it in a Hard drive crash or something.

Riiiiiiiiiight....

Lizardcommando said:

Nah It was me was working on it. I was making it with 2k3 and yes my HD crashed and I had no backup. The game wasn't terribly humorous or anything but it was fun to make.

printz said:

Did the members have their own faces and actual characters?

Not what I remember.

I'd give it a try, who knows, maybe it proves to be a good game. On the other hand, when I tried to run the demo, it said me that i needed to install dont-know-what.exe. Installing things I don't need in my pc, ugh.

Naan said:

What's wrong with RPG Maker 2000 ?

The facts it's somewhat linked with Doom single handedly make it a place to discuss in a Doom community.

Is that even English?

And as for you Caboose-

No, it's shit. Fix it, then it won't be shit; though what needs to be fixed might be a little existential considering that RPG Maker is not a good choice.

caboose1408 said:

I expect you haven't played any rpgs made in the last 10 years.